Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How about reinstating capital punishment in Hawaii?

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
    I wonder if USAJobs has applications for executioner open.
    In the early 1960's, the US Army did. I tried out for the firing squad because although I didn't want to kill anyone, the duty was very good. All you had to do if you made the "team" was attend funerals and be one of the rifles in the 21 gun final salute.

I ddin't make the squad, so I went to the electronics school in Fort Monmouth NJ.

I don't think there is a shortage for people who want jobs as executioner in the DP states. There are more pro DP people than anti as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
      There are more pro DP people than anti as far as I know.
      Which by itself doesn't make it right. But I think we all know that. Yes?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If not the state, then who? The federal government has already proven time and time again that carrying it out is constitutional, and those states who wish to exercise their states rights have chosen not to use that form of punishment. Those that do are exercising a legal option recognized by the country. But since each state has their own statues (most of them similar), their sovereignty to make that ultimate decision does rest with the state. There's enough court system heirarchy to allow lower courts to make that decision, and if it's the state, then so be it as written in their constitutions. There's no "feelings" about it.

If by some option a "higher power" must make this ultimate decision, then states' rights (affecting more people than an individual) are violated. We might as well make it up to the President to thumbs up or thumbs down all decisions like kings did.

Logical arguments and debates and facts from non-supporters (the money example tends to come up a lot) is not the hot air I'm talking about. The hot air I don't accept is those who are all boo-hoo-ey, claim some religious righteousness, or just feel certain ways for no reason.

Unlike one previous poster, I don't go around and call people with opposing opinions "stupid."

Comment

Re: Nobu Post #106

I'm in agreement 100%. Everybody dies; some people still choose not to accept that fact, and holding onto that denial really clouds their judgement.

Comment

Actaully, I would prefer the state NOT to do it, but to allow the victim's survivors to do it as they please. .
            Un-effing-believable! Has the whole world gone mad?!
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I tried out for the firing squad because although I didn't want to kill anyone, the duty was very good. All you had to do if you made the "team" was attend funerals and be one of the rifles in the 21 gun final salute..
              Pathetic. This is the reason I favor gun control, to keep guns out of the hands of people with this kind of mindset. There is no redeeming social value in putting guns in their hands.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

... but to allow the victim's survivors to do it as they please.
                a/k/a vigilante justice. I believe we had that once in what used to be called "the wild west," no? An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, as it were? Until we all end up blind and toothless.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  a/k/a vigilante justice. I believe we had that once in what used to be called "the wild west," no? An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, as it were? Until we all end up blind and toothless.
                  I wonder if this would be a good thing...most people when faced with that option probably won't pull the trigger to end the life of the one that killed their loved one.

Instead they may feel compassion for the convicted and offer them a chance at life. It's a thought.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Which by itself doesn't make it right. But I think we all know that. Yes?
                    Being the majority doesn't make you wrong either. However, in a democracy, the majority normally rules. On the capital punishment subject here in Hawaii, we are going against the majority. It is time for our politicians to abide by the majority's wishes.

This is a democracy isn't it????

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I wonder if this would be a good thing...most people when faced with that option probably won't pull the trigger to end the life of the one that killed their loved one.

Instead they may feel compassion for the convicted and offer them a chance at life. It's a thought.
                      Hi Craig,
                      I really think you are incorrect on that. The survivors of a murder victim do not want to hate the murderer for the rest of their lives. They would prefer to hate the murderer for the rest of his life, and it would be good if his life was short.
                      Nobu

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        Pathetic. This is the reason I favor gun control, to keep guns out of the hands of people with this kind of mindset. There is no redeeming social value in putting guns in their hands.
                        I really don't see anything wrong with using a gun for a living. The police do, and so do the ground pounders in our military, when needed. To be on a firing squad, you have to be skilled with the weapon in every way.

I too, favor stricter gun controls, because there is so much ignorance on both sides of the debate, I am for responsible gun ownership, and I favor the ability to own and keep guns for recreation and protection.

We should not take the guns from those who are responsible, just as we should not take cars away from those who drive safely.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Un-effing-believable! Has the whole world gone mad?!
                          Well Matapule,
                          Doing it by having the murder victim's survivors having their way has a good side too. If you are anti capital punishment, you can let the murderer of your loved one go free if you wish. However, since those who favor capital punishment should do the killing, perhaps those who oppose capital punishment should do the incarceration, feeding, and guarding????

Comment

Oh no! This would be after the arrest, trial, and conviction. Nothing vigilante about it at all. Now if you oppose punishment and your loved one is murdered, being the murder victim's survivor, you can let the murderer go free to murder someone else's loved one who will not stand for it. Of course, you should bear some responsiblity for the extra murder too, correct?????

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Interesting perspective, cw - thank you for that. I know of family members of victims who have forgiven the criminals, usually claiming it as "the Christian thing to do."

Comment

Interesting perspective, cw - thank you for that. I know of family members of victims who have forgiven the criminals, usually claiming it as "the Christian thing to do."
                                Ya know? You can be very Christian and forgive, but have the felon still pay for his crime. You don't have to relieve the criminal of his punishment to forgive, whether it be incarceration or execution.

Comment

Working...
                                X