The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I missed Prince Caspian ’cause it just wasn’t in theaters long enough for me to catch it. But now that I’ve re-read my review of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (I gave it an 8/10) and really enjoyed The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I need to see it.

Because most of my criticisms of the first film are also true of this film (‘though Edmund is a lot better in this one, and Lucy’s good right off the bat). However, since I’ve only read the first half of the book about four times and never finished it, parts of the story were unexpected.

There are scenes here that look alarmingly cheaply made, like too many actors are crammed on too small a soundstage for what’s supposed to be an exterior shot. Still, the story here is strong, and that overcomes most of the shortcomings in production value.

There is one scene I found extraordinarily affective: where Reepicheep takes a moment to do something very kind for Eustace; it had me crying like a little girl. It could have been overdone or, or something, but instead it is quiet and genuine and sincere, and we’re talking about a mouse and an obnoxious boy here. Yet enough has been put into place for this scene to feel real and heartfelt. This comes about midway through the film and it totally sells me on the rest.

I should say that I saw this in 3D because of the bad showtimes for the 2D version. Everything I’ve ever said about 3D holds true, still. The dimming effect of the glasses is a major downer. White is too important a color in movies to be removed entirely from the visuals, and that’s what happens with these glasses. Additionally, for someone who has worn and hated glasses since he was ten, the addition of an extra pair is cumbersome, annoying, and (I admit it) kind of embarrassing. There has to be a better way. After about a third of the way through the film, I abandoned the glasses entirely and enjoyed a nice, bright screen without the hassle of a pair of glasses worn over a pair of glasses. And I paid extra for the privilege, of course.

I am THROUGH with 3D.

Still, I give it an 8/10 (IMDb rating)
    and a 78/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I saw the previous two films in the theater, and I guess I should see this one in the theater too. Own both on DVD.

I got to see 3D on a demo HDTV set they had at Don Quijote. I wasn't impressed. For me the glasses would be the first thing to get lost in my home.

I'll plan to just see the regular version of the movie. Hopefully it's still around after I get back from another trip to the Big Island next week.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The new movie is fun, and has a tinge of Harryhausen's Sinbad adventures.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
      X