Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a two month long stay on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a two month long stay on Oahu?

I am coming over to Oahu to do some volunteer work (more like a vacation with a purpose! ) for a couple of months, starting the end of September.
    The place I will be volunteering is on the west side, although I will be free to work about anywhere. I'd like to be able to get around by bus, and walk to cafes and restaurants, and from what I read the west side is maybe not the best choice for me. I would like to be on or near the beach.

I've more or less narrowed it down to choosing between Honolulu, walking distance to Waikiki, or the North Shore, which sounds charming and a bit quieter. The part I can't figure out is how hard it will be to get from places on the north shore, and if there is enough going on to do, if I will need to rent a car. But any suggestions you might have about other parts of the island as well will be helpful.

I'm close to retirement age and not much interested in night life but don't mind at all that others are -- which is to say I'm fine with being anywhere that is safe and clean, and quiet enough to sleep.

I'm encouraging my family and friends to come visit, so that makes me think something central is better. On the other hand, sipping fruity drinks on a quieter beach and watching the sunset every night does sound nice....

Thanks for any input-
    Demi

Re: Suggestions for a two month long stay on Oahu?

Hi Demi...I think your finances will dictate where you live. Living on or near the beach is pricey, esp. in a vacation rental status for 2 months. It will be less pricey in Makaha, on the north shore or the windward side than in town; town (Waikiki specifically) having the bulk of walkable things to do.

A condo rental in Discovery Bay at the opposite end of Waikiki from Diamond Head has quite a few vacation rentals, is across the street from the marina, walking distance to the beach in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village and walking distance to many restaurants that serve fruity drinks and where you can view a sunset!!! It will be a lot less pricey than similar rentals around Diamond Head. Waikiki, as the tourists know it, will have various types of rentals at various rates depending on the building.

As long as you don't have to commute to the west side every day you can really live anywhere but make sure the more rural areas you look at have bus stops conveniently located.

Volunteer vacations are sure becoming popular. Such a cool idea. I'll look forward to hearing more about yours.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, tutusue, I have started looking into the Discovery Condos and they just might be the ticket. I will have to be careful with spending...two kids in college...as far as I can tell the lodging and the fruity drinks are going to be the biggest expense, as long as I bus around. I have found those condos listed several places, some by owner, some by the condo association....now I just need to find the best deal on one.

Thank you so much, again, I do feel much less anxious about my little adventure!

demi

Comment

And just because O'ahu is a small island doesn't mean there isn't traffic. It jams up really bad during morning rush hour and pau hana at the end of the day.

You live around Makaha it's easily an hour to get to Honolulu. The North Shore is also a long commute as is Waimanalo. To get there, there is only one road. If that road gets blocked by anything, even an accident, you turn around and go the other way. While it doesn't happen often, it does happen.

I lived in Kailua and Kaneohe and it was a half hour over the Likelike to the airport where I was working. And if you have a rental car, parking downtown costs a fortune. I parked in some lot on Queen Street Diamondhead of Bishop for about $5 a day but I'm sure that's changed by now.

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
          I lived in Kailua and Kaneohe and it was a half hour over the Likelike to the airport where I was working. And if you have a rental car, parking downtown costs a fortune. I parked in some lot on Queen Street Diamondhead of Bishop for about $5 a day but I'm sure that's changed by now.
          The great thing about Oahu (and not just Honolulu) is the excellent bus system. The city bus actually runs all over the Island, stopping nearly everywhere about every half hour (depending on traffic and time of day). Unless you really have to, forget about a car altogether, and take The Bus http://www.thebus.org/ The monthly pass is only $40 for unlimited riding, and I promise you that you'll meet the most interesting people there (drivers included)!

The ride from Haleiwa, for example, will be a little over an hour. I'm thinking Turtle Bay via Kaneohe and LikeLike is a bit longer, but that route follows one of the most beautiful coastal roads in the country, with the Pacific on one side and the mountians on the other. You'll never get bored.

And, whatever you do, don't even think of shipping your car. Unless you have a vintage Corvette or something that you just can't live without, you don't need it, and Hawaii doesen't need another co2 generator clogging the roads (just my humble opinion).

Aloha !!

Comment

Originally posted by LovinLK View Post
            [...]You live around Makaha it's easily an hour to get to Honolulu.
            Makaha might fit demi's volunteer situation that's on the west side but it doesn't fit her other interests. But, yes, Makaha is an hour to downtown...with little or no traffic. Much longer during rush hours. If demi chooses to live along the Waianae Coast then socializing in town can possibly be an issue. It's not for friends of mine but it is for me.
            [...]If that road gets blocked by anything, even an accident, you turn around and go the other way. While it doesn't happen often, it does happen.
            Check this thread for proof of how truly horrible it can get!!!
            [...]I parked in some lot on Queen Street Diamondhead of Bishop for about $5 a day but I'm sure that's changed by now.
            No more $5 lots. <sniff>

Comment

Another good resource for vacation rentals can be found on VRBO.com.

Comment

Hi everybody, and thanks for the info...I have not been able to post again due to my browser, but I hope I have that taken care of for good!

I have been checking for appealing rentals, but always end up agonizing that I might want to change my mind. It seems that Discovery Bay has condos available last minute, as long as I stay a month, so that is my basic plan, but I want to keep my options open until I can get a feel of things. I have a hotel room for two nights, at a reasonably priced place in Waikiki.

Since I first posted I contacted the group I'll be working with there, and they can set me up about anywhere on the island, though I know I will be drawn to the West side most of the time. So that frees me up a lot.

The Bus will save me a lot of money and headaches, it sounds like, so I will buy a pass, thanks for the tip. My flight over was rock bottom ($291 rt, Northwest Airlines, anyone want to come to the mainland, now is a great time) so if I bus I can spend a bit more on lodging. Thanks for the VRBO.com suggestion, I have been checking there (but always wind up agonizing....).

Besides drinking fruity concoctions on the beach (can't really do too much of that ), I'm planning on some easy hikes, horseback riding, and I'd like to take a quilting class. I really want to learn more about the Hawaiian culture, and was also hoping to take a class on it, but the timing doesn't seem to work out. Maybe I should start out at the Polynesian Cultural Center, and go from there?

Thanks,
                demi

Comment

Originally posted by demi View Post
                  I'm planning on some easy hikes, horseback riding, and I'd like to take a quilting class. I really want to learn more about the Hawaiian culture, and was also hoping to take a class on it, but the timing doesn't seem to work out. Maybe I should start out at the Polynesian Cultural Center, and go from there?
                  Thanks,demi
                  Yes, definitely go enjoy PCC, but another wonderful starting place to learn about Hawaiian culture and take classes like lauhala weaving is Bishop Musuem & Planetarium. They have discounts on the classes if you have a membership, and if you're gong to be there two months and have family visit it might pay for itself. I haven't been to their new science center, but it sounds really cool with the volcano exhibit and all.
                  Here's the link:
                  http://www.bishopmuseum.org/visitors/visitors.html

For easy hikes, you could check with the Sierra Club there.
                  And also Diamond Head is fairly easy (but plenty hot!). And here's another resource for hiking: http://www.hawaiinaturecenter.org/

And for maps and safety tips (hiking in Hawaii has its own
                  unique challenges) the state has this site:
                  http://www.hawaiitrails.org/

I think they have riding stables on the North Shore.
                  And they for sure have riding stables on the Windward side, including at that ranch in the Ko`olau range where they filmed Jurassic Park. Does anyone here know if you can ride on the beach at the North Shore? I heard horses
                  aren't allowed on any of our beaches (except the wild ones in Waipio of course), so maybe they're just allowed to ride on the beaches for movies lol

Where are you volunteering on the Leeward side?

Cindy
                  Hawaii Eco Travel Budget Guides
                  www.CoconutRoads.com
                  "Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"

Comment

Cindy,

Thank you for the terrific suggestions and links! I am looking forward to exploring all of them when I get there, in just over a week. My youngest son is going off to college this year, so the family won't be there, but I will look into the cost of a membership at the museum anyway. With the low fares, my DH may come for a while, and one of my close friends just booked a week to come join me. My daughter and her family also are talking about it, and I have heard murmurs from other friends. Why am I beginning to think I should have rented a bigger condo?

I am going to be helping out with turtles and dolphins, so can work about anywhere as it turns out, not limited to the leeward side as I first thought. demi

Comment

Originally posted by demi View Post
                      Cindy,

Thank you for the terrific suggestions and links! I am looking forward to exploring all of them when I get there, in just over a week. My youngest son is going off to college this year, so the family won't be there, but I will look into the cost of a membership at the museum anyway. With the low fares, my DH may come for a while, and one of my close friends just booked a week to come join me. My daughter and her family also are talking about it, and I have heard murmurs from other friends. Why am I beginning to think I should have rented a bigger condo?

I am going to be helping out with turtles and dolphins, so can work about anywhere as it turns out, not limited to the leeward side as I first thought. demi
                      You're very welcome. I love playing guide, then I get to vicariously experience it all while I'm sitting up here at Volcano in the brrr freezin' cold lol Good for you Demi helping our critters! That is one of my dreams to do some work out there with the dolphins and whales. If through your work, you hear of any dolphin tours that are more dolphin friendly, more respectful of their space, can you let me know? So did you rent the condo already? Maybe you do want an extra room! Whenever our family came to visit though, nobody stayed around the house much anyway - to much to do :-) Bishop Museum has different types of memberships... Have fun!

Cindy
                      Hawaii Eco Travel Budget Guides
                      www.CoconutRoads.com
                      "Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"

Comment

Working...
                      X