This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

hi this is sansei and in response to bobinator,i live in an area on where we'd only need a upgraded bus system and i dont live in the area's where rail is only i see it from other's who support rail that they need it is would you or anyone wish to sit in trafficgridlock in car's or buses? Today when i returned home from my friend's moped shop and on my moped,i had to sit in trafficgridlock from beretania before you turn to nuuanu and it took me a long while to return home and that wasnt fun and that's why we do need rail on the pro-rail's person's who need it is i wouldnt wish to sit in a bus waiting and waiting until the traffic move's and the bus get's truly crowded and that's not fun. i would wait for a bus for about half an hour so i thought to share this with everyone and yourself.

well thank's for your time

Comment

I'm listening and would enjoy hearing your examples of cost overruns due to oppositional forces as compared to the cost overruns due to other factors,

I am so glad you asked. Thank you.

Hoover built a dam with very little regard for an Environmental Impact Statement. Oh, and we still use it to generate very clean electricity.
      Chinese are doing the same thing, with 1400 villages destroyed/relocated.

Eisenhower built thousands of miles of roads, THAT WE STILL USE, without a public hearing. In 12 years. (Too bad we can't do that in Kona.)

Kennedy won a war as a boy, then put a man on the moon as an adult, and not one mention of any traffic impact, or endangered species extinction.

The Politics of NO! includes those who would add layers of beauracracy as well as those who would stand in the way of the future. Overzealous do-goodism is sacrificing our future in favor of the past. All projects cost more because of interventionism rooted in sheer ignorance.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        Why is "snubbing our military" such a horrible thing?
        You believe snubbing the military from the Pentagon to the frontline soldiers is a good thing?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          My dictionary defines pander as ... If you utilize a flawed definition, only you can be held accountable for the flawed results.
          My definition was from Merriam-Webster, widely regarded as the foremost authority and the last word on definitions. Libraries, newsrooms, and classrooms across the country rely on it heavily, and often, exclusively. The fact that you have the audacity to call it “flawed” is yet another reason why the HT community should question your credibility.

If you find no functional purpose for conducting a vote on this issue based on those polls, your reasoning is clearly faulty and contradicted by the very polls you cite
          I find this statement laughable. The polls I cited have nothing to do with voting. As I have said three times now, the two separate, independent polls show that the majority of O‘ahu residents favor rail. How this is a contradiction is a fantasy only to be found in the mind of salmoned.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Funding requests supported by Sen. Inouye, one of the most senior and powerful senators in the U.S. Senate, that don’t get approved have been few and far between during his 46-year tenure. I would imagine he has already had conversations with Sen. Obama about increasing the federal share, should Obama be elected President.
          I'd like to see a shred of evidence supporting any of those claims and suppositions.
          As far as Sen. Inouye’s record and stature, it speaks for itself. Only a malihini or a political neophyte would not know this. And you don’t think Obama spoke to Inouye on what it would take for him to switch his delegate vote? Really?! Wow.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I suppose if Merriam-Webster called a tail a leg, you'd say a dog has 5 legs, too. You may be willing to make that particular citation the ultimate authority on that particular word, but very few will join you.

One of those polls specifically asks about putting the issue on the ballot. Did you not notice that 76% of respondents (more than favored the rail project) said yes, it should be voted upon?

Yes, the senator's record speaks for itself. YOU don't speak for it, it speaks for itself. I suggest you read it to learn what it says, since your perception of it is so erroneous.

On turtlegirl's, "Further, just because you will take the rail does not mean that you will also have to connect by bus. Or wait 30 mins for said bus. People will be able to park at the stations, of course. Not everyone who uses rail also rides the bus all the time." Ah, if only parking lots at the stations had been included in the cost estimates, eh? The rail system that will cost $5 billion will not include parking lots - perhaps a private company will garner that concession, after the government condemns and purchases nearby homes and businesses so as to add those parking lots.

timkona - I see, you have no comparison of cost overruns due to opposition versus cost overruns due to other factors. So your statement about cost overruns being mostly due to opposition has no merit. I get it. [If Kennedy won a war as a boy or put a man on the moon, that would be news to me (I was always told it was my Dad), but would have nothing at all to do with cost overruns (which I'm certain occurred during both projects).]
            Last edited by salmoned; August 6, 2008, 11:12 AM.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

My source tells me that Stop Rail Now had Circuit Court rule in their favor today. Petitions going back to City Clerk unless appealed.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And in The Star Bulletin today:
                Council closes in on charter measure
                By Laurie Au

http://starbulletin.com/2008/08/14/news/story09.html

"The City Council almost went from A to Z on proposed mass transit amendments to the City Charter to be presented to voters.

Councilman Todd Apo disagreed, saying "all eyes are on the City Council" to create a proposed charter amendment.

The City Council and the anti-rail group are calling for two different approaches.

Etc. etc. etc."

Comments Section:
                http://www.topix.net/forum/source/ho...PV9PL#lastPost

Shhhhhh. Please REGISTER TO VOTE!!!

No VOTE ~ NO GRUMBLE!!

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn Dela Cerna
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Judge Rules For Anti-Rail

Breaking News at StarBulletin.com

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=7540
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So which goes to vote if the council adds one of their own?

Comment

No matter your view on the issue, there's something to be said for a judge who rules:
                      "The public interest is quite clear," (Circuit Judge Karl) Sakamoto said. "The voice of the people cannot be suffocated by the erroneous reading of the law by its own government."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        No matter your view on the issue, there's something to be said for a judge who rules:
                        "The public interest is quite clear," (Circuit Judge Karl) Sakamoto said. "The voice of the people cannot be suffocated by the erroneous reading of the law by its own government."
                        I had the same thought, Leo. It sure sounds like the judge is pandering, rather than ruling based on facts. To quote the fast-food commercial of yesteryear: “Where’s the beef?” in this ruling.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          So which goes to vote if the council adds one of their own?
                          The initiative is the vehicle now, provided the City Clerk's office validates the necessary signatures.

The electorate killing the intitave (which I believe will be the case) will bring about an end to the madness.

Comment

hi this is sansei and since the judge ruled in Favor of Stop rail and if this is now on the ballot,im voting Yes for Rail and i wont let the stop rail win,my vote which will be yes to rail will defeat the stop rail now is i came home on nuuanu and it took so long due to they are digging up the road and they had a officer directing traffic and we had to wait for a while and if stop rail win's,this is what we'll be sitting in trafficgridlock time and again so my vote will be one to the stop rail coalition so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time:O(

Comment

Let the people vote on it. It's our 4$B+. I think it should be built with private funds. If it will be such a winner, investors will come pouring in to "get on the train before it leaves the station". I hear the thing will have a fare box. Why can't they go to a BANK instead of the taxpayer.

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                                hi this is sansei and since the judge ruled in Favor of Stop rail and if this is now on the ballot,im voting Yes for Rail and i wont let the stop rail win,my vote which will be yes to rail will defeat the stop rail now is i came home on nuuanu and it took so long due to they are digging up the road and they had a officer directing traffic and we had to wait for a while and if stop rail win's,this is what we'll be sitting in trafficgridlock time and again so my vote will be one to the stop rail coalition so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time:O(
                                Make sure you read the Charter question clearly, sansei, if Stop Rail Now's initiative goes on the ballot.The Charter question (as proposed by Stop Rail) states... SHALL AN ORDINANCE BE ADOPTED TO PROHIBIT TRAINS AND RAIL TRANSIT IN THE CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU? You would want to vote no.
                                Last edited by Keanu; August 14, 2008, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X