Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Thanks, gang. I stand corrected.

I remember a SCOTTY'S on Keaaumoku Street where LaMancha Restaurant and now Sam Sung Plaza stands. They were known for their malts. My better-half once worked there part-time during her teen years.

Must have been related to the SCOTTY'S in Pearl City.

Comment

Add these to the list as of June 2....Marujyu Market on Kam Hwy...across from Cutter Ford, TCBY Ice Cream next to Star Market-Kam Shopping Ctr, and this one...I say due to the service I had from the manager of the day...was due to be history, corner chinese restaurant across ON STAGE, Shell Gas station and the KAYAK shop....the service was lousy, and if they did that ALL the time, maybe das why....das it for now!

Comment

Saw on KHON2's 6:00 news that KAM [MAK] BOWL's last day of operation is June 15th. I have fond memories of my uncle teaching me how to bowl. And then bowling got lame -- but we still went to check out the guys playing video games. It was there that I had my first kiss in the 8th grade.

They interviewed a bunch of the old-timers and one of the tatas even shed a tear. How sad that all these friends won't have their usual place to go?

Kapiolani Coffee Shop and their oxtail soup isn't closing, though. They'll be moving to the spot next to (near?) SUGOI at City Square.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

It was also mentioned that after MAK BOWL closes, there will be TWO civilian bowling alleys on Oahu, LEEWARD BOWL (Pearl City) and AIEA BOWL. Closed in recent years are the WAIALAE BOWL, KALIHI BOWL, PALI LANES (Kailua), and EWA BEACH BOWLING CENTER. In the more distant past, CLASSIC BOWL, BOULEVARD LANES, JET LANES, BOWLING CITY, WINDWARD BOWL (Kaneohe), STADIUM BOWL-O-DROME, KAPIOLANI BOWL, COUNTRY LANES (Waipahu), TROPICANA BOWL (Kaneohe), KAIMUKI BOWL, STARDUST LANES, KALAKAUA BOWL, WAIKIKI BOWL, AIRPORT LANES, WAIANAE BOWL.

If and when I resume bowling, it'll have to be back at HILO LANES when I visit the Big Island.

Comment

sorry...you guys ~~~~~~FAST n POSTING!!!!!~~~~~~~~ mahalo! but auwe to kindness to seniors and retired.

Comment

Oooops, the initial TV news report on the bowling alleys was incorrect. There are still FOUR civilian lanes still operating on Oahu. In addition to LEEWARD BOWL (Pearl City) and AIEA BOWL, PALI LANES (Kailua) and WAIALAE BOWL are still open. WAIALAE is scheduled to close in February 2008, however.

Kapiolani Coffee Shop, situated within MAK BOWL, will re-open in City Square near SUGOI.

Comment

Another question:

After JOLLY ROGER closed their Waialae restaurant across Kahala Mall, did another business utilize that site before it was demolished and became a Zippy's location?

Comment

On Maui, right there on Lono Ave. (I think) in Kahului there was a place called Shriley's. It might've been spelled differently. It wasn't really a restaurant, and more of a parking lot with w/ a window. They had awesome teri-burgers and fries. When we were good, our Auntie would take us there.

Now it's still an eatery, but it's got a different name and I haven't been back.

If you want to discuss disappearing establishments, look no further than Paia, Maui.

At the intersection of Baldwin Ave. and Hana Highway I grew up seeing a Japanese place called Kihata's. Inside there were decades-old stuffed pheasants, a man with a missing finger who gave us shrimp chips, and good bento. It then turned to a place called Shar-Ron's which served Southwestern food. Now it's empty. My Dad said that before it was Kihata's it was called Larry's or something like that. That place was the nearest television he could find to watch the Watergate Hearings.

Oh, and there was some discussion on this thread about Liliha St. I love the intersection of Liliha and Kuakini b/c it reminds me of old Paia. I still go to Jane's Fountain from time to time and when my Dad came to visit, I took him to Masu's. He loved it. Now that that place is gone, I take him to Kenny's at the Kam Shopping Center. Long live Liliha!

Comment

Urumi is gone. Not too many choices for ramen in Chinatown now. I think there's only that other place on Beretania Street?

Comment

here's another link on this discussion: http://www.yelp.com/topic/coZIWiUn-ejuwNAONLIOgg

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
                        here's another link on this discussion: http://www.yelp.com/topic/coZIWiUn-ejuwNAONLIOgg
                        Lot of memories in this link. The one I remember most, for some obscure reason, is the Dog House on Kapahulu (during the 1970s, just below where KC Drive-In used to be). I loved their miniaturesque architecture (a dog house), and their chili dog and/or chili dog plate.

But more up-to-date, Ebisu Catering & Okazuya is about to close and is hunting for a new location. It's just across the street from the newly opened Gulick Delicatessen. I thought it strange that two of the most well-known names in Okazuya were almost side-by-side. One had to go. I guess it was Ebisu. I hope they find a new home.

Comment

Regarding Kapahulu's DOG HOUSE: I remember that site later becoming BOB'S BAR-B-Q before it moved to the corner of Dillingham and Waikamilo next to Taco Bell and across McDonald's. There's also a BOB'S BAR-B-Q in the Stadium Mall next to the Ice Palace.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            Oooops, the initial TV news report on the bowling alleys was incorrect. There are still FOUR civilian lanes still operating on Oahu. In addition to LEEWARD BOWL (Pearl City) and AIEA BOWL, PALI LANES (Kailua) and WAIALAE BOWL are still open. WAIALAE is scheduled to close in February 2008, however.

Kapiolani Coffee Shop, situated within MAK BOWL, will re-open in City Square near SUGOI.
                            Pali Lanes will also be closing I believe January 2009 when their lease expires.

Aj

Comment

Just saw last night that TGI Fridays located across from the Blaisdell Concert Hall has closed its doors. As per the KHNL News even TGI staff was shocked as it closed basicially without any warning. A formal statement to the closing will be coming out within the next 24 hours from corporate TGI on the mainland.

I always liked eating there, but moreso when I use to live in Makiki or we would go there before or after a show at the Blaisdell. I bet they made their most money on nights of concerts and performances.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                                A formal statement to the closing will be coming out within the next 24 hours from corporate TGI on the mainland.
                                Erika Engle has the story in today's Star-Bulletin. (I didn't copy the link to paste here, but I'm sure folks can find the story easily enough.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X