Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ratings Numbers Are In

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    I start to consider the news more as "entertainment" instead of news. I watch news for the "news", not to be "entertained".
    One thing that I sort of notice while watching the 10pm news on KGMB that certain anchors would tend to refer to their program as a "show" as opposed to a "newscast".

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
      For those folks, I think it makes sense to combine simulcast numbers, because that is the indicator of the total number of people who are watching the newscast - whatever station it is on.
      The trick comes when/if selling spots on, for example, KHNL, using combined numbers of the KHNL/KGMB simulcast - no can, or at least shouldn't.
      What happens when you start selling spots on the simulcast to air on all stations? Or maybe that's a violation of some kind of monopoly thingie . . .? And maybe that's the most powerful argument for detractors in the SSA debate. That kind of thing needs to be monitored.
      Just to clear it up a little... We actually kept the sales departments fairly intact (some past KHNL people are now KFVE only). There are three distinct sales teams, each representing a single station.

The newsroom is a single organization for all three.

Comment

The combined numbers are meaningless to an advertiser because it is not a true simulcast. Only the programming is simulcast ... the spots are not.

You can't go to an advertiser and say, "Our combined numbers are XX, therefore you should advertise with us," because if that advertiser buys only one station, then their spot will be seen by only the viewers of that station.

It would be just like combining the KHON and KITV numbers and trying to sell that.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
          The combined numbers are meaningless to an advertiser because it is not a true simulcast. Only the programming is simulcast ... the spots are not.
          Exactly! It depends on what you are trying to say.

For selling spots on either KHNL or KGMB, combining the numbers does not make sense. When we price spots, they will be priced as separate stations as we have separate sales organizations. KHNL people cannot sell KGMB and vice versa.

But for stating which newscast is the most watched? That would be the combination of the two stations during the simulcasts. Whether you're watching Hawaii News Now at 10 on KGMB or KHNL, you are watching the same program at the same time.

So what is the public looking for from the ratings? Is it how much we'll charge a client (and I must note that higher ratings do not equal more $$)... or which newscast more people were watching?

We think it's which newscast more people are watching.

Comment

Everybody's a winner - the numbers game:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...laim_wins.html

Comment

It makes me chuckle to see the knukle heads running the local stations fall all over one another, claiming victory. News Departments like to brag about wins based on household numbers; sales and management only care about key demographics, but it sure doesn't stop them from saying they're #1. Frankly it's amazing to me that anyone watches the local news anymore...it's about 10% local and the rest is national, entertainment or just plain unimaginative drivel. Keep bragging you all; you're not only in a severely declining business but in one with one foot (maybe two) firmly planted in the grave and frankly no one gives a rip about your coming RIP or the #s you all so loudly proclaim!

Comment

your view is valid. but remember there is a certain percentage of viewers who do like watching local news, and feel it's an important part of their lives.

local news just plays to it's customers. if you aren't one of them that's fine, but you can't fault the workers - talent, or otherwise - who do their best to put on that "drivel".

we all know the truth is there's some drivel, but also some real information and even moments of quality journalism. it's a mixed bag.

and, yes, those marketing folks are fudging with their language. some more than others. but it really doesn't matter. as long as there are enough advertisers to go around all will be fine.

Comment

Network affiliates can find good news in Nielsen ratings

The May Nielsen ratings for Honolulu TV gave each network-affiliated station something to be happy about.

KHON issued a statement touting itself as the "undisputed news leader in all local and world newscasts,"

However, the combined 10 p.m. ratings of Hawaii News Now, anchored by Keahi Tucker and Stephanie Lum, broadcast on both KGMB and KHNL, surpass those of KHON.
                  There's more. Read the article by clicking on the title link above.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Reading your link just upsets me the point of vomiting. All it really says is that people are as indifferent to this “shared services agreement” as they are to the fall of the Honolulu Advertiser. With the imminent demise of the mainstream media, soon all news critical of government corruption will be dismissed by officials as “blogger banter,” and the ignorant masses will be herded like sheep into whatever endeavor is planned for us.

Welcome to the New World Order.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Numbers aside, spin aside, ratings aside....I can honestly say that I have finally started watching KHON again.

I was a KGMB fan for a long time, then switched to KITV....and finally went back to KHON for 6pm.

The 5pm is a toss-up, I'll usually see what KITV has first...then go to KGMB and then to KHON.

But for 6pm...it's almost always KHON on my tv.

*Sidenote: If I had any advice, it would be for KGMB/KHNL to change their "Here's what's happening now" in Hawaii intros.

I know they don't mean it to be this way, but I find it personally offensive that the tv stations would think they are so high and mighty and so "in-the-know" that they should be the ones to dictate what is happening right here, right now in Hawaii at this very moment.

Viewers, or at least this viewer, aren't that stupid or naive.

I know there are TONS of real stories out there that are not being covered.

Comment

With the decline in news quality and quantity both locally and nationwide, in both print and on tv, do the ratings really matter anymore to the common person?

Comment

Local news ratings in for November.

Following 'Five-0' proves beneficial for late news

The success of "Hawaii Five-0" on Monday nights helped boost the ratings of Hawaii News Now on KGMB-TV to double that of its closest competitor, KHON-TV.

The CBS series, which airs from 9 to 10 p.m., leads into the 10 p.m. news on affiliate KGMB, which earned a 16 rating, 36 share on Mondays, compared to an 8 rating, 17 share for KHON.

The playing field levels out Tuesday through Friday nights at 10 p.m., according to figures provided by KHON. Those nights KHON and KGMB are in a dead-even tie at 10 p.m. with an 8.5 rating and 22 share.
                          If you read the entire article, you'll learn that Hawaii News Now trumpets its lead by combining the simulcast of both KGMB and KHNL whenever they do a combined broadcast. KHNL trails KITV when measured on its own.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Who's at #1? The February sweeps are over, and the Neilsen ratings are in. KHON is crowing they're #1 and KGMB is saying the same.

Honolulu TV Stations Claims Wins and Growth

"Once again, viewers have made Hawaii News Now No. 1," said News Director Mark Platte, in a statement.

A news release from KHON-TV made similar statements, using terms such as "undisputed leader," "highest-rated television station" and "most-watched, from sign-on to sign-off."
                            Text Only Mobile Version

Since discontinuing my cable service a month ago due to the fact that my TV broke and I haven't gotten around to buying a new one, I watch everything online now, which means for local newscasts at this time, its only Hawaii News Now for me. Luckily all the TV station sites show clips from their various newscasts.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Erika reports on the "May book" - the latest news ratings, with mention of Merrie Monarch numbers as well:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine...sion_news.html

Comment

Working...
                              X