One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest

Recently a boxed edition of this film was released.
    I had read the book but never seen the film.
    The film is riveting.

Re: One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was written by Ken Kesey!

The inspiration for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest came while working on the night shift (with Gordon Lish) at the Menlo Park Veterans' Hospital. There, Kesey often spent time talking to the patients, sometimes under the influence of the hallucinogenic drugs with which he had volunteered to experiment. Ken Kesey did not believe that these patients were insane, but rather that society had pushed them out because they did not fit the conventional ideas of how people were supposed to act and behave. Published in 1962, it was an immediate success; in 1963, it was adapted into a successful stage play by Dale Wasserman, and in 1975, Miloš Forman directed a screen adaptation, which won the "Big Five" Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Actor (Jack Nicholson), Best Actress (Louise Fletcher), Best Director (Forman) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Lawrence Hauben, Bo Goldman)).

Kesey was originally involved in creating the film, but left two weeks into production. He claimed never to have seen the movie because of a dispute over the $20,000 he was initially paid for the film rights. Kesey loathed the fact that, unlike the book, the film was not narrated by the Chief Bromden character, and he disagreed with Jack Nicholson's being cast as Randle McMurphy (he wanted Gene Hackman). Despite this, Faye Kesey has stated that Ken was generally supportive of the film and pleased that it was made.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

MM, thankyou for wise comments.
      I was woken up by your comment about the point of view
      of Chief Broom. (slaps forehead..why didnt I see that)
      Gene Hackman as lead...very Interesting indeed!
      Did Kesey know Gene?
      Close friend of mine visited Kesey in Oregon.
      I never thought to ask her about it.I had other agendas
      at the time

Comment

"You're coming with me."

"Let's go."

Comment

I liked the scene where Jack Nicholson does play by play of a baseball game in front of blankscreen as the patients go wild.

Comment

Working...
          X