Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Trek

personally, i thought the movie was a good solid B, esp if you really like the star trek tv series and subsequent movies. a number of BIG surprises that i loved. never saw it coming. wish i could say more but i don't wanna spoil it for anyone planning to watch it.

great to see the main characters in their younger years, the little expressions and body movements that would later characterize them.

by the way, SNL had a funny salute to the new star trek movie tonight....
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I saw this yesterday at the Dole Cannery in IMAX. I was kind of amazed to find that the IMAX presentation costs $15. That's a lot for a movie. But I will say that IMAX was definitely the way to see this movie. Lots of great sights and sounds. I thought it was fun.

Comment

Is there a need for a show spoiler alert? I don't think anyone of the main characters is going to die. Unless, you search for him on a sequel.

Comment

Saw it again this morning (my 3rd time) with Albert and another friend at the Ward Theater.

I might try seeing the IMAX version at Dole sometime this week.

Comment

I caught it in IMAX today. I LOVED it.

I'm about as big a Star Trek fan as you can be without going to conventions and speaking in Klingon. In fact, in many ways, I'm more of a hardcore Trekkie than some of those folks.

I'd read rumors that JJ Abrams really screwed with the mythos, and many of us Trekkies will not like what he's done. I can't imagine any fan would feel that way. I think what he's done is genius. The franchise was in desperate need of a reboot, and I think he's pulled it off brilliantly.

I'm looking forward to the next movie.

Comment

zff, i'm glad to hear that you loved it. i wouldn't wanna be accused of spoiling it for someone who hasn't seen it yet but wouldn't you agree that there were some great surprises in the movie? i consciously avoided reading anything about the movie before watching it so you can imagine my surprise, for example, at the cave scene! what the?!? yahoooooo! and like i mentioned earlier, i appreciated the way they showed us what these characters were like before they were "adults"; i appreciate the idea that they are revealed as imperfect individuals, not as flawless characters. and the relationship between ____ and ____ ! jeez, i did NOT see that one coming! lots more could be said but i'll just end by saying that one scene that i WISH were in this movie is seeing "kumar" walk past "harold" in some hallway with "harold" turning as if to say, "do i know that guy?!?"
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Attended the IMAX version of Star Trek at Dole Cannery tonight. It wasn't that crowded.

One thing I did noticed this time around, in the middle of the movie on the bridge of the Enterprise there is a guy that looks like Kal Penn. He doesn't have any lines.

Comment

I saw a cam version and was thoroughly irked by Pegg giving an Irish accent to a Scot's role. The movie had a bit too much brawn, not enough brain for my taste.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    I saw a cam version and was thoroughly irked by Pegg giving an Irish accent to a Scot's role.
                    I gotta check this out - I know my accents well; I'll back you up, s'ed, if I get the same impression.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                      I saw a cam version and was thoroughly irked by Pegg giving an Irish accent to a Scot's role. The movie had a bit too much brawn, not enough brain for my taste.
                      I don't know what a 'cam' version is, but I am a regular reader of a popular UK message board of all things digital (digital spy) and there are many threads on Star trek. I've not heard that comment from anyone. Most seem to be highly complimentary of simon pegg's role. the only negative comment I've seemed to have heard is that he was too 'hyper'. But not any comment about an Irish accent. I'm no expert but Id like to think I could tell an Irish vs. a scottish accent and that isnt anything that came to mind with me.

My guess is that he'd know better than us on the accent he was portraying?

anyhooooo.. I LOVED this film. and I would not consider me a big fan in the slightest i.e. not a trekkie nor have extensively watched any of the series. Saw it at the Dole in Imax. I just thought the whole film was sensational. Even breathtaking. Definately going to see it again soon.
                      n'importe

Comment

hi,im sansei and im also a trekkie fan and i remember in the 70's that when The station's who carried the original star trek was the best and i thought no one could replace it only this new one maybe good only i havent seen it yet and the person who play's spock may do a good job only no one can replace lenoard nimoy he's the original spock and look's great doing his part. i do miss bone's and montgomery scott who were the main player's in the original star trek. god bless you both!

Well thank's for your time

Comment

It's a great ride and was everything and more than I expected! I'm seeing it again this weekend.

YOU HAVE TO DO IMAX!

Attached is a cell phone cam pic of mine whilst waiting for the show to start.
                          Attached Files
                          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            As far as the movie itself overall it's average and decent, there are some good parts to it, some stuff that doesn't make sense but it doesn't hit you until after you seen the movie.
                            I finally got there on Sat. the 16th, and had a similar reaction.

I did enjoy it, but some of the stuff was... complex, confusing and questionable. Time travel/alternate universes/inefficient spacecraft design.... Plus the old 'meeting your older/younger self' conflict.

The future spacecraft was cool, however.

Once was enough, but I'm glad I went. Some of the casting was spot on!

And, now we know: Romulans are descended from Maori Spacefarers.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              I finally got there on Sat. the 16th, and had a similar reaction.

I did enjoy it, but some of the stuff was... complex, confusing and questionable. Time travel/alternate universes/inefficient spacecraft design.... Plus the old 'meeting your older/younger self' conflict.

The future spacecraft was cool, however.

Once was enough, but I'm glad I went. Some of the casting was spot on!

And, now we know: Romulans are descended from Maori Spacefarers.

as are bounty hunters and their clones in star wars. they once were warriors.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Well, maybe I should qualify my review of Pegg's accent - to my ear, it sounds like an Irishman affecting a Scot's accent. Then again, what can you expect from an Englishman?
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X