Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cream

I will be running off to Cold Stone to get some ice cream. Normally my favorite is mint chocolate chip, but last night at a friends house he served peanut butter chuck from Ben and Jerrys and it was alright.

So what is everyone else favorite favor of ice cream?

Re: Ice Cream

I'm a huge fan of ice cream. Ice cream is one of the few things everyone in my family loved; it's one of the things that kept us united, even when we disagreed on everything else.

I'm of the opinion that too much stuff in ice cream makes it no good; I especially dislike stuff that gets hard when mixed in with cold ice cream--chocolate chips, chunks of peanut-butter cups, bubble gum--and like stuff that enhances the flavor of the ice cream that surrounds it. My favorite flavor is coffee; my second-favorite is cookies and cream. My usual order is a scoop of each in a CUP (cones detract from the flavor of the ice cream).

I have very little respect for people who get rainbow sprinkles on their ice cream.

At Cold Stone, I like to get the cake-batter ice cream with the apple-pie filling and graham crackers mixed in. Yummo.

As for take-home pints from the supermarket, you can't go wrong with Haagen-Dazs coffee or vanilla. I'm especially fond of Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

I typically stay away from anything artificially flavored, such as Meadow Gold.
    Last edited by scrivener; June 4, 2005, 11:45 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      I have very little respect for people who get rainbow sprinkles on their ice cream.
      Aw, man, my daughter Katie will be crushed!

Overall, I'm a "chunky" kind of dude. (Stop laughing, wife!) You know, texture -- chunky peanut butter, lumpy mashed potatoes, and definitely ice cream with "stuff" in it. M&Ms get hard, true, but stuff like marshmallows, or peanut butter, or li'l chocolate chips or cookies? I'm there.

As a kid, coffee flavored ice cream and mint chocolate chip were at the top of my list. Then I went through a peanut butter and chocolate phase. Now I tend to go for ye olde Rocky Road... though New York Super Fudge Chunk from Ben and Jerry's is up there, too.
      My usual order is a scoop of each in a CUP (cones detract from the flavor of the ice cream).
      Detract, shmetract! Does the bread neccessarily detract from the flavor of the ham? Or the shell from the taco, or the sourdough bowl from the clam chowder soup? C'mon, an edible delivery vehicle? How perfect is that?

I love sugar cones. Sometimes I like 'em so much, I forget to peel off the paper. (Fiber!) Though I have been known to go for fancy waffle cones, I'm just as likely to go with the basic cake cones, too.

Comment

I had my Rocky Road phase, I even had a phase where I would have chocolate milk shake with mint chocolate chip ice cream inside of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Detract, shmetract! Does the bread neccessarily detract from the flavor of the ham? Or the shell from the taco, or the sourdough bowl from the clam chowder soup? C'mon, an edible delivery vehicle? How perfect is that?
          My disdain for cones is related to my disdain for stuff that gets hard in ice cream. You're still munching on hard stuff when the ice cream has already melted and slid down your throat. When you eat a sandwich, if you finish up the meaty stuff and are left with just bread, you can eat the bread, but it's never as good as when your sandwich still had some integrity. When you eat an ice cream cone, you're just eating cone at the very end; it's very sad.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Gotta go with pzarquon on the cones - I love sugar cones and even the regular cake cones. I like the texture contrast with the ice cream. My favorite flavor is Cherries Jubilee or Cherry Garcia. But, what I really like is great rainbow sherbet (hard to find for some reason) or lychee sherbet or mango sherbet - any of the tropical fruits are good.

Comment

Any flavor, but Rocky Road is probably my favorite.

Comment

I seldom eat ice cream, but when I do, it needs to be a straight flavor like the lilikoi or ginger ice cream sold at Hilo Homemade. Like Scrivener, I don't like sprinkles as well, or as they call them here, "jimmies". I like strong flavoured ice cream that stands on its own merits, independent of any additions.

I will admit, I have acquired a taste for the ebe ice cream..you know..the Okinawan purple sweet potato ice cream one sees every now and then. Not my favorite, but it ranks up there.

When it comes to frozen desserts, my favorite has to be something along the lines of a lilikoi sorbet. Ben and Jerry's used to make a passion fruit/blackberry swirled sorbet that was brok da mout ono, but I haven't seen it in ages. I think it might be a retired flavor. I usually, if that ice cream vendor from Maui who has stands at Honolulu International..something like Reppart's or Geppart's..has lilikoi ice, I will buy a scoop of it to cry into as I await my flight back to the mainland...I'm always so depressed waiting for my flight back when I'm at HNL, the lilikoi ice kind of assuages my psyche.

Speaking of lilikoi, there is a fruit stand makai side of Waialae Ave somewhere in the Avenues, in Kaimuki, ( not far from Coffee Chat ) that usually, at least when I come home in December, will sell me bag of a couple dozen lilikoi for a buck. I go sick on them when I'm in Hawai'i. Out here on the EC, the lilikoi sold is purple variety from the Azores and they sell for $1.50 each...outrageous!! But, we do get the passion fruit soda from Portugal, like Kima and Sumol for a song..very cheap.

I have not sampled Cold Stone yet. I walked into the Cold Stone in Kailua my last trip Windward side, and started perusing the menu, then all of a sudden, an old buddy of mine from Kane'ohe saw me, we started talking story, and I never got around to getting a scoop. If I recall the per scoop price at Cold Stone was pretty high. I'm planning on visiting there again my next trip over. If any of you care to join me, drop me a line..I'm buying!!

Comment

You cut me deep.

I'll eat almost any type of ice cream, makes no difference to me whether it's artificially flavored or whatnot. As long as I enjoy the taste, I'm happy. My favorite flavor is rocky road, and I'm gonna cheat by saying I love neopolitan second.

When I was younger, I loved getting those big waffle cones with just plain vanilla ice cream and those soft rainbow sprinkles. I don't eat much ice cream anymore, don't have the stomach for sweets like I did before. Once in awhile I'll get a sundae with fudge, nuts, and a cherry. Whenever Mr. Softee comes by, I get the pineapple sundae. Bananas, pineapples, and vanilla ice cream...yum yum.

Anytime I go to Cold Stone, I get that strawberry shortcake ice cream thing...still don't know the name, but I like it.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Kona coffee, Mint Chocolate Chips and French Vanilla...mmmmmm!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog

When I was younger.......I don't eat much ice cream anymore, don't have the stomach for sweets like I did before.
                      Kupumog..according to your profile you just had a birthday and you're still in your teens! You're still a young 'un! I wish I could still be in your shoes!

Comment

rolo ice cream and any other one coffee-flavoured...mmm, ice cream....
                        There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

When you eat an ice cream cone, you're just eating cone at the very end; it's very sad.
                          Sounds like you're eating your ice cream too fast! Eat a cone just right, and don't you worry, there's a lot of melty goodness at the bottom, and the cone itself can get quite wonderfuly mushy, too.

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                          I have not sampled Cold Stone yet... If I recall the per scoop price at Cold Stone was pretty high. I'm planning on visiting there again my next trip over.
                          Coldstone is my daughter's favorite dessert place. It is expensive, though, and the ice cream is also very, very rich. Honestly, I might be 30, but I still order the 'kiddie size' (it helps to have a kid), because anything larger, I just can't finish! It's delicious, but heavy.

Comment

I love the NASCAR ice cream from Blue Bunny. Vanilla with caramel and fudge,chocolate "race cars". Also my classic DQ soft-serve. Another favorite is Cherry Garcia from Ben and Jerry's.
                            Last edited by alohabear; June 7, 2005, 05:41 AM.
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

the chocolate fudge "nugget" at the bottom of the cone is one of the best parts of eating ice cream cones only thing not every place even knows to line the cone before topping it. I like "plain" unadulterated flavors like vanilla bean, kona coffee. mint chip is good too (mmmm chocolate). now I have a craving for one of the best sundaes ever - the Emperor Norton from Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory!

this space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X