Annoying phrases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annoying phrases

Not a quote, but the dumping of Gatorade on the winning coach by his players.

Comment

I'm sick of the term "posturing". That doesn't even seem like a real word! Makes me feel like I need to go stand up straight or something. And EVERYONE is using it now. Errggh!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

something that really annoys me is when someone says they are "in" Maui for example, or any other island anywhere. You aren't "in" an island - you are ON the island. You can be in the city of Honolulu, but you are ON O`ahu.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Neighbor island residents hate being referred to as ”outer islands.“

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
            Neighbor island residents hate being referred to as ”outer islands.“
            Does that make Oahu residents inners?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Does that make Oahu residents inners?
              No but if we keep using that phrase, Oahuans will be considered an outer island by other islands. We who live on the adjacent islands call each island by their respective names unlike Oahu that lumps all of us together and calls us the outer islands as if we're not part of the state.

That's the Honolulu-centric attitude that prevails here in Hawaii.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I resent that comment a lot! Not all on Oahu use that terminology and you are lumping everyone here into one big group. That is not accurate.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  I resent that comment a lot! Not all on Oahu use that terminology and you are lumping everyone here into one big group. That is not accurate.
                  accurate enough. Hey I used to live in Honolulu and the resentment goes deeper for those on the "neighbor islands" who have to take it everytime the news is on or we read it in the papers.

Comment

Back when I was in journalism school (UH), and later worked in journalism, and even later in advertising, it was pounded into us that saying "outer islands" was a big NO NO! The proper term to use when referring to islands other than O‘ahu (collectively) would be "Neighbor Islands" or the name of the individual island.

Recently (on several occasion) I have heard local news anchors/reporters use the term "outer islands". Whoa! Every time I heard that I was stunned! Back in my days, that would have been cause to be fired.

I guess journalism standards today are not what they used to be.

Comment

• Re: Annoying phrases

I used to train UH Journalism majors when they interned at KGU. I also pounded it in their heads not to use "Outer Islands" but to say each island individually. It's out of respect for those not living on Oahu.

Comment

So, do you say "Big Island," "Hawai`i Island," or "Moku O Keawe"?

Comment

It's usally referred as the Big Island.

Comment

Craig - your earlier comment implied/inferred that every one on the island of Oahu does not respect the people on other islands. thats what i objected to.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I like "Big Island".
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                                Craig - your earlier comment implied/inferred that every one on the island of Oahu does not respect the people on other islands. thats what i objected to.
                                Okay, "Some to Most" from Oahu refer it that way then. I stand corrected

Having lived on both islands and being in sales, I saw a lot of "Attitude" from quite a few mainlanders and those from Honolulu. It starts with a friendly greeting, "Good afternoon welcome to Home Depot, what kind of project are you working on?" The remark, "I'm from Honolulu..." I don't know whether to apologize or get down on my knees and worship them.

Or from those from the mainland, "On the mainland we do it this way..." sometimes same response from those from Honolulu after they remark where they're from. I'm thinking, "This is the Big Island we do it this way" But then I don't want to get fired, so I respond, "yes we also do it that way here in Hawaii...you know building codes and such..."

Heck even I used to say that when I first moved over to the Big Island. Sometimes people just don't realize that there is intelligence and some sense of organization anywhere you go, even to foreign countries. I think this is why other countries look at us Americans as arrogant westerners. We think we know better. We may...however that doesn't give us the right to belittle others...except the French DOH!!!! Joking!!!! Hey I've been in France and have been mocked simply for being an American so this was my one and only dig

To me this is the very reason why SuperFerry failed. Not because of the lack of an EIS (someone had to latch onto something legal to fight with). If the inaugural launch came from Maui or Kauai, I'll bet the SF would have been better received. But it came from Honolulu and with it the message that the arrogance that the Kauai, Maui and the Big Island were getting fed up with was coming in on a big boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X