Stargazing anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stargazing anyone?

So over my christmas break I have found a new interest in stargazing (sparked by the Geminid meteor shower earlier this month) and have been using this free awsome program Stellarium as a reference to the objects in the sky with my Bushnell Powerview 7x35 binocs (haha im so noob ).

Well, I live in Kapolei. Second city, lots of light pollution. Sometimes I can get a good view if I turn off all the lights in my yard late at night. I wanna know where you guys would go stargazing or just really good dark spots to gaze at stellar objects.

Much thanks,
    Patrick.

P.S.
    Heres the site of Stellarium stellarium program www.stellarium.org and theres also Celestia, which is more space travel. http://www.shatters.net/celestia/
    I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Re: Stargazing anyone?

Originally posted by PatrickBABOON View Post
    I wanna know where you guys would go stargazing or just really good dark spots to gaze at stellar objects.
    Well, that would be at my favorite spot........Yokohama Beach.

The stars are crystal clear up there. The police seldom go there, unless called, so bring the telescope, acoustic guitar, wood for a fire, ingredients for s'mores, and you're all set.

DD
    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

I don't think building a fire is wise if you are trying to do star gazing at the same time.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhh, but there in lies the magic. The sky is so clear, the fire doesn't diminish it at all.

Unless you're one of those pyros who needs a 15 foot bonfire to set the mood, then no...having a fire while stargazing won't work.

Comment

The Bishop Museum has a stargazing group. A nurse I used to work with was one of the "docents" (I don't know if that's the right word but what the heck) at the planetarium. I know they used to go up near Dillingham Air Field to stargaze and had lots of events that were open to the public. It might be fun to go with a group that has some knowledge.

Here's some info from the museum, with some great links:

http://bishopmuseum.org/planetarium/planetarium.html

And some stuff about the stargazing group---the Dillingham "Star Parties" are for members or guests of members only but the public is invited to the Kahala events:

http://www.hawastsoc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
            Unless you're one of those pyros who needs a 15 foot bonfire to set the mood, then no...having a fire while stargazing won't work.

XD Hahha yeah, a nice fire would be nice. Yokohama beach sounds like a good stargazing place.
            I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

I'm an amateur astronomer most of my life. Worked on Mauna Kea as a guide for 2 years. Got a small telescope, and a good set of binoculars that I prefer.

Spent the weekend teaching my daughter while camping up at Volcano Cabins.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I got Starry Night 5 loaded on my PC, last time I stargazed was last Christmas at my dad's place. Even though I returned in late March 2006 didn't have a chance to stargaze back then.

Comment

Why just last night..........

I was looking at some Jessica Alba site, and the wife walks by and says "If I were dead, would you want her?"

I said "if she were here right now, I'd do her in front of you"

I think I remember the pan hitting my head, but I definitely remember the stars....those beatuful stars........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                    Why just last night..........

I was looking at some Jessica Alba site, and the wife walks by and says "If I were dead, would you want her?"

I said "if she were here right now, I'd do her in front of you"

I think I remember the pan hitting my head, but I definitely remember the stars....those beatuful stars........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOLOLOLOL!!!!
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

44 mile mark on Saddle Road seems like it might be pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickBABOON View Post
                        Well, I live in Kapolei. Second city, lots of light pollution. Sometimes I can get a good view if I turn off all the lights in my yard late at night. I wanna know where you guys would go stargazing or just really good dark spots to gaze at stellar objects.
                        We used to go to Lanai Lookout, but I don't know if there are now lights around there that would interfere.

Comment

Tonight's the night for the Geminids...14 in two minutes...woohoo! And that is standing on my "virtual lanai" looking out over the ocean. I do have some light pollution, but I saw plenty enough for me!

Comment

I love, no LOVE stargazing!
                            Meteors are better than sex!

Darker the better. Any of the Windward roads up out of C&C streetlights is OK.
                            Ahuimanu, Waihe`e, Waikane, etc.
                            Been looking tonight, but nothing yet.... Gotta go take my Staragria.

K~
                            Last edited by Kaonohi; December 13, 2009, 10:52 PM. Reason: Falling Stars
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Meteors are better than sex.K~

Comment

Working...
                              X