Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Default The Krispy Kreme Burger

I kid you not!

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps...FE03/606290329
Old June 29th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: The Krispy Kreme Burger

Just when I thought Corndogs and Andadogs were a double artery attack, this burger looks to top it.

Deep-Fried Cheese Sticks still amaze me at who would think of such madness.
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Dear lord. All the heart-stopping sin of a bacon burger, plus a disgusting, sticky Krispy Kreme pastry? Absolutely brilliant in a ridiculous and somewhat frightening way. I mean, sweet and salty is a well-known taste combination... but this is a heck of a way to get there.

Interesting in how the low-fat, low-carb, diet-craze of the last decade and a half is not only receding, but even inspiring a backlash. That is, an emphatic and deliberate attempt by some restaurants to capture the "over the edge of excess" market. Burger King's "Eat Like a Man" campaign, Carl's Jr. horrifying Paris Hilton car wash/burger chomping ad... Whew.
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Kia`aina

I remember seeing that on TV and just going "NO." Krispy Kreme donuts are way too sweet for me to handle most times. I can eat one but anymore sickens me...couldn't stomach it as a burger bun at all. I'm not much for those combinations to begin with. I remember watching Secret Life of... and they had that fried chicken and waffles meal that people loved...I shuddered.

Last edited by kupomog; June 29th, 2006 at 03:42 PM. Reason: i can't tell the difference between pancake and a waffle..
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ali`i

I like Krispy Kremes and I like burgers... but that's just not right.
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Ali`i

I don't know what's worse sugar glaze with the hamburger pattie or mustard, ketsup or secert sauce on a donut.
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Ali`i

My heart slowed down just looking at te picture.

To the person who winced at Chicken and Waffles....Don't knock it til you try it. Here in LA there are a few Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle joints and they are always packed. I tried it once out of curiousity...It was pretty good.

Think about that McGriddle breakfast sandwich at McDonalds....talk about a heart attack... A breakfast sandwich with 2 syrup injected pancakes as the bun...Yikes !

Recently after a morning of boogie bording at Manhattan Beach, me and the fam went to the Kettle, a diner right in town. They had a burger on the menu called the KONA BURGER....Grilled Pineapple and melted swiss on a burger with teriyaki sauce....Being that it had a Hawaiian name, of course I ordered it...It was the most amazing burger I've had in I don't know how long.
For those of you on here wh are ever in the LA area...I recommend this place for that burger alone.
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Kia`aina

Pleh, I'm just not into the savory + sweet thing aside from maybe spareribs with pineapples. If I just accidentally get syrup on my bacon or something I don't feel like eating it anymore. I don't even eat ham and pineapple pizza. I'm all for trying before brushing off but...see... I'm not even going to try this bacon burgnut w/ glazed cheese thing.
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Oh, you closed-minded people. When I saw this on the news, the guy making the things said everyone always says it's the most disgusting thing they ever heard of. Then they try it. And then they ask for another.

I can totally see this thing working. There used to be a Krispy Kreme (it only had the name, it wasn't really) in the Aiea Shopping Center when I was in intermediate school. Didn't last long. But they sold this hot dog in a long-john (minus the custard) and it was delightful.

This isn't too big a step from using sweet bread rolls for hamburgers or for tuna sandwiches -- something I do all the time. Sure, it's no good for you, but you're not going to eat them every day. I'd pay good money to try this once, I tellya.
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupomog
Pleh, I'm just not into the savory + sweet thing aside from maybe spareribs with pineapples. If I just accidentally get syrup on my bacon or something I don't feel like eating it anymore. I don't even eat ham and pineapple pizza. I'm all for trying before brushing off but...see... I'm not even going to try this bacon burgnut w/ glazed cheese thing.
Sweet+Savory = ONO to me.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Ali`i

Pineapple Teriyaki Burgers are pretty common here in the islands. Most burger joints got 'em under various island-themed names. Actually, TIKIYAKI BURGER would be the perfect name for one!

If you like that flavor and you like chicken, try this SUPAH' EASY and ONO...

Shoyu Chicken recipe:
- 5 lbs. chicken pieces (breasts or thighs), thawed
For Pineapple-Shoyu Mixture, combine equal parts:
- 8 oz. (small can) Ready-to-drink 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1 cup Shoyu
- 1 cup Sugar
In large pot, brown the chicken in a little oil then simply pour the Pineapple-Shoyu mixture in and simmer on medium-low until chicken is fully cooked and falling-apart tender. Turn and stir occasionally. Enjoy with rice.
*Optional: Add diced pineapple and chopped garlic and/or ginger for extra flavor.

Another quadruple heart-attack has to be the Chicken-Fried Steak with butter & cream-based White Gravy poured on it.. Whoah!

Anyone game for a Leonard's Malasada Burger? Nickname it "Da' Slidah".
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Luna

Send a message via Yahoo to drumorgan

All I know is that if you want to have a food blog, leaving goji berries as the latest article for days, when krispy kreme burgers are left untouched, is just unacceptable. Go eat one, and lets hear your review on your blog.
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai
Pineapple Teriyaki Burgers are pretty common here in the islands. Most burger joints got 'em under various island-themed names. Actually, TIKIYAKI BURGER would be the perfect name for one!

If you like that flavor and you like chicken, try this SUPAH' EASY and ONO...

Shoyu Chicken recipe:
- 5 lbs. chicken pieces (breasts or thighs), thawed
For Pineapple-Shoyu Mixture, combine equal parts:
- 8 oz. (small can) Ready-to-drink 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1 cup Shoyu
- 1 cup Sugar
In large pot, brown the chicken in a little oil then simply pour the Pineapple-Shoyu mixture in and simmer on medium-low until chicken is fully cooked and falling-apart tender. Turn and stir occasionally. Enjoy with rice.
*Optional: Add diced pineapple and chopped garlic and/or ginger for extra flavor.
Yes, the TIKIYAKI moniker is something I came up with and had all kinds of food related ideas for. It's what I call my special bbq sauce which usually consists of a potpurri (mish mosh) of bbq sauce, sweet and sour sauce, chinese duck sauce, and somthing spicy....usually chinese hot crushed pepper thing my fiance gets in the Asian supermarket (she's from Taiwan)....sometimes I'll add crushed pineapple and even mandarin orange, and some sort of teriyaki or soy sauce too....it's a whole mix it, taste it,add something else, taste it process....in the end, it's tangy, sweet, spicy.

The I brush it on while bbq-ing chicken, and keep brushing it on.

That pineapple shoyu sounds good...what exactly is shoyu ?

I will try it.

With regards to the KONA Burger in question, I think it's the quality of the beef and the grill it was cooked on that made the difference. Some restaurants have amazing flame broilers that really sear the meat amazingly. Plus when you grill the pineapple it takes on a whole different flavor...

A little off topic...there is a place called the Aloha Grill in Huntington Beach (CA) that makes these chicken wings they call "Hawaiian Drums". They're made with a cherry flavored Char Siu sauce, which is the red sauce that chinese restaurants use on their classic spare ribs. They broil these chicken wings and serve it scallions and pineapple bits, and the are the BEST chicken wings I've even eaten. The place is an hour away from me and I've taken trips down there just to have these wings.

Man, now you got me talkin about food, and I wont stop unless you tell me to :-O
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to adrian

Quote:
The grilled doughnut halves
Okay, that scared me a bit. I can just imagine sear marks on a doughnut now. YUM!

And I think this smilie will do the talking for me:
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki

That pineapple shoyu sounds good...what exactly is shoyu ?
Shoyu = soy sauce.
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumorgan
All I know is that if you want to have a food blog, leaving goji berries as the latest article for days, when krispy kreme burgers are left untouched, is just unacceptable. Go eat one, and lets hear your review on your blog.
Wish I could, but Oahu currently doesn't have a Krispy Kreme; only Maui. Although, I suppose any fresh-baked glazed doughnut would suffice.

I really like my LEONARD'S MALASADA BURGER idea.... "DA' SLIDAH!"

In the event that I ever do make or try that burger, I'll be certain to eat some of them Goji Berries as cardiovascular countermeasures.

Point taken though. I'll update the blog later today.
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki
what exactly is shoyu ?
Shoyu = Soy Sauce (don't dare say the latter when you're in Hawaii!)

Quote:
With regards to the KONA Burger in question, I think it's the quality of the beef and the grill it was cooked on that made the difference. Some restaurants have amazing flame broilers that really sear the meat amazingly.
Exactly.

Premade frozen patties put on a griddle or in a frying pan should be sent to hell.
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Haumana

Admit it – somewhere in the deep recesses of your mind, you’re thinking “Hmm…, Krispy Kreme burgers – Yes!” I do like the malasada burger idea, maybe next Punahou Carnival I can buy a malasada and a hamburger and make my own.
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps...0332/1001/NEWS

Looks like it's picking up in popularity!

I gotta have one!
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
Oh, you closed-minded people. When I saw this on the news, the guy making the things said everyone always says it's the most disgusting thing they ever heard of. Then they try it. And then they ask for another.

I can totally see this thing working. There used to be a Krispy Kreme (it only had the name, it wasn't really) in the Aiea Shopping Center when I was in intermediate school. Didn't last long. But they sold this hot dog in a long-john (minus the custard) and it was delightful.

This isn't too big a step from using sweet bread rolls for hamburgers or for tuna sandwiches -- something I do all the time. Sure, it's no good for you, but you're not going to eat them every day. I'd pay good money to try this once, I tellya.
I'm voting you for Governor!! The sound of reality. You can be an extremist or a moderate. Give the burger a chance people! Sheez it can't be as bad as marshmellow peeps! My wife can eat a whole box of em. She prefers them frozen...the sick woman. It makes picking off the extremities easier
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Kia`aina

I don't like Peeps either
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

The end of the The Krispy Kreme Burger.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps...0355/1001/NEWS
Quote:
...estimated that the Lakeway Drive business sold 1,100 of the burgers...
1100 burgers in a month...thats more than 30 a day!
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Haumana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai
Shoyu = Soy Sauce (don't dare say the latter when you're in Hawaii!)

Exactly.

Premade frozen patties put on a griddle or in a frying pan should be sent to hell.
Don't say soy sauce around me, or I'll have to beat you. Man, I hate going places and they ask if I want "soy sauce." It sounds... wrong.

They had a skit on SNL a few months back where the character went to a Japanese Sushi restraunt and was acting like he was in the know and during it he called it shoyu and said that's how they say it in Japan. I was like, hey... a mainlander said it.. on TV. Awesome.
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Banned

Geez... this thread almost goes hand in hand with the weird combination of foods thread!

But pau now... no more kkb's as was reported earlier.
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
But pau now... no more kkb's as was reported earlier.
Actually, the "Krispy Kreme Burger" is probably better known as the "Luther Burger."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Burger