Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB Sunrise

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
    A video of this and a lot more.. on KGMB's new website!!!! Yes, they have videos uploaded now!!!
    About time!

Comment

I thought the first show was a little stiff given the promos that they did on the teevee and in the newspaper.

I think the standard they have to be great in my book was the same type of chemistry that KHNL had when they had Guy Hagi with Lee Cataluna. That was a great duo that I miss in the mornings!

The last thing I want to face when just waking up is a stiff presentation that I can get on any newscast.

Anyone know why they moved Angela Keen away from the anchor desk on KHNL's morning show? I'm not saying that Christine Ueno isn't good, but it totally changes the chemistry of the show.

Comment

I was up before 5am (as usual) and watched the first half hour of today's show. I agree they seemed a bit stiff, but I expected that on the very first day of a brand new show. (Just like a new restaurant will have 'birthing pains' at the very beginning.) I'll certainly give 'em a chance to settle in, and wish them all the best.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I agree, give them time!

It was the first day

As for Grace Lee I was very impressed. She went to the mainland for a spell right?

It shows. Very polished and relaxed

Comment

sounds like a decent start, hopefully someone posts a portion of their newscast on youtube or something for us displaced islanders on the mainland now.

anyone get a chance to compare/contrast KGMB Sunrise to the other morning news shows out there? KHON used to dominate with Ron and Leslie in the morning but it's slowly lost steam I think. Mahea and Dan give a nice mix of news and features and I haven't really watched KHNL's morning show for a while.

Comment

I thot Grace was FROM the mainland - she talks like it. (Just tried their Web site and got a "404 not found..." I'm sure they've posted her bio.)

Agree that everyone was "up" and had first day "try-your-bestness" to deal with. I can imagine euphoria in the newsroom/studio after the first show, and then someone realizing that they have to do it all over again the next day and the next day and the next day and . . .

It's hard work, and to keep up that level of energy for two hours is tuff. They'll be better as the show becomes routine.

(Must confess: I DVRd Monday's show and only watched the first half-hour last nite. I'm not normally a morning news watcher.)

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                sounds like a decent start, hopefully someone posts a portion of their newscast on youtube or something for us displaced islanders on the mainland now.

anyone get a chance to compare/contrast KGMB Sunrise to the other morning news shows out there? KHON used to dominate with Ron and Leslie in the morning but it's slowly lost steam I think. Mahea and Dan give a nice mix of news and features and I haven't really watched KHNL's morning show for a while.
                KHON had Manolo Morales, Kirk Matthews and Cathy Muneno anchoring yesterday when KGMB's show debuted. Not bad, but the original chemistry and spark they had with Kirk, Tanya Joaquin, Trini K. and Manolo to me is no longer there.

KITV was good, and they usually have Dan M., Mahealani Richardson and Ben Gutierrez anchoring. Their chemistry has gotten much better, esp. with Mahea and Dan.

KHNL to me has made a great improvement with Kristin U., Marvin Buenconsejo and Angela Keen (weather now). Kristin makes Marvin come alive when they are doing "happy talk." She's very good I think.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kimo;165471]I thot Grace was FROM the mainland - she talks like it. (Just tried their Web site and got a "404 not found..." I'm sure they've posted her bio.)

QUOTE]

You are right I think she is from the mainland. heh-heh.

Comment

You're both right. She's from Alabama, but she also "went to the mainland" for a while, because she worked here in 2002. Read her bio. It's worth it for the photo alone.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here's the link (hope it works):

http://www.kgmb.com/kgmb/displayStory.cfm?storyID=11652

Comment

It's day 2 of Sunrise, and I'm getting a little bored with the show. Here's what it felt like watching Sunrise - lead off with weather and traffic, top stories of The Boat, Superferry troubles, OJ Simpson's bizarre arrest, weather and traffic, commercial, weather and traffic, Howard Dicus segment, then repeat starting with weather and traffic.

More commententary about the overuse of theTraffic Tracker map and the fresh faces and personalities of Sunrise at:

http://www.pulpconnection.net/2007/0...is-boring.html
                        Addicted to Passions and Pulp
                        http://www.pulpconnection.net

Comment

I Agree, too much weather and traffic. Not enough news to start off with.
                          Maybe trying a different approach but I kinda think it gets boring and I end up switching to KHON. Oh well I get 4 channels now....
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

hmm.. so far mostly negative comments here.

Yet I really want them to do well.

Comment

KHON truly dominated when Leslie and Ron and Mary Zanakis were there in the morning with manolo roaming and doing lives and eating food everywhere. They were first when it came to news and interesting features and their live music on fridays was great and everybody copied them afterwards. Their secret weapon was overnight cameraman george cabral who got video of every single crash, fire, shooting, you name it.
                              Ever since that line-up khon has been a former shadow of its morning show self, but the trouble is that other tv stations have not capitalized by stepping up. I think KITV has been making an honest effort, especially by dan who produces and anchors in the morning, which is a lot of hard work. KHNL should have made the push long ago when the Today show was so strong but ratings have dropped and the other national news morning shows have all caught up. it will be very interesting now that all four tv stations are in the mix and hopefully it means better morning news coverage for everybody. Hopefully KGMB gets things running smoothly before a breaking news story comes their way during their time slot. there's nothing like a structure fire in pearl city at 5 a.m. to test of how well they can scramble and get the news on-air before the competition.

Comment

Yup, George Cabral was one of KHON's unsung heroes.

He could go up to almost anyone-- police, fire, etc...and just talk story.

One of the key players that made KHON great.

Is he still there?

Comment

Working...
                                X