Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > GPS Talk > Recreation > Out & About
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 30th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ali`i

Default Mosquito Talk

No see'ums or whatever your name is for them, here's what you probably already know:

The mosquito is a member of the family Culicidae; these insects have a pair of scaled wings, a pair of halteres, a slender body, and long legs. The females of most mosquito species suck blood from other animals. Size varies but is rarely greater than 15 mm (0.6 inch)[7]. Mosquitoes weigh only about 2 to 2.5 mg (0.03 to 0.04 grain). A mosquito can travel up to 10km in a night, and fly for 1 to 4 hours continuously. Most species are nocturnal or crepuscular.

Here's some interesting information on dealing with bites.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Mosquito Talk

Okay then...

Toothpaste and Tiger Balm are products I have that help with the itching.

Luckily I rarely get bit. Must be all that garlic. HaHa!

Thanks TGB!
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:11 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Mosquito Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GeoBlast View Post
a pair of halteres, a slender body, and long legs. The females species suck blood from other animals. Most species are nocturnal or crepuscular.
Hey man, this is family site.
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:36 AM
Luna

I might be wrong, but I do believe the itchiness one gets from a bite is due to ones natural reaction to the mosquito's saliva. It is kinda like an allergic reaction. I'm pretty lucky in that I have become semi immune to their bites. They bite me, I just don't get the welts . 808ladybug, on the other hand...
- Seuss
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:54 AM
Kia`aina

Post Re: Mosquito Talk

My worst experience is when I failed to find Kiddie Kache many months ago. In the span of 5 minutes I was bitten some 25 times. I then seeked out a pump spray from Benydral. It stops the itching almost instantly. I hope product endorsement isnt frowned upon here. It is a miracle cure. Also, Skin So Soft from Avon is the best preventative measure that works for me. Geogerms is right, your severity of reaction is best handle with different products. Definately, shop around. I hate them immensely, the rating of a cache should include a star level for mosquito concentration. I do read up and plan accordingly.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGerms View Post
I might be wrong, but I do believe the itchiness one gets from a bite is due to ones natural reaction to the mosquito's saliva. It is kinda like an allergic reaction. I'm pretty lucky in that I have become semi immune to their bites. They bite me, I just don't get the welts . 808ladybug, on the other hand...
I don't think they even bite me but I've got some loved ones that get hammered seemingly out of nowhere. It could the you are correct about the saliva, or I just might be -that- nasty tasting.

GG- Maybe you could work on a cure for that down in the lab, and make a few million and donate it to the Geohana? Meanwhile a few of us could get a FTF.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer73 View Post
My worst experience is when I failed to find Kiddie Kache many months ago. In the span of 5 minutes I was bitten some 25 times. I then seeked out a pump spray from Benydral. It stops the itching almost instantly. I hope product endorsement isnt frowned upon here. It is a miracle cure. Also, Skin So Soft from Avon is the best preventative measure that works for me. Geogerms is right, your severity of reaction is best handle with different products. Definately, shop around. I hate them immensely, the rating of a cache should include a star level for mosquito concentration. I do read up and plan accordingly.
I am sure that those who get bitten appreciate something that works. BTW what is your Benydral stock trading at these days?
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM
Kia`aina

Is there any truth to what Ive heard about the male mosquito is the one that will buzz around near your ear while the female is busy drawing blood from you elsewhere. Seems to be a coordinated, diversional attack so to speak, lol.
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Kanaka

This is why you should invite Mrs. Tiki out cache hunting more often! She will take care of all the mosquitos in a 2 mile radius while everyone else is safe to hunt for the cache! Keep in mind that Mrs. Tiki swears like a sailor when it comes to mosquitos, so little ones should have ear plugs.

I'm really, really allergic to those buggers. DEET is the only thing that really works for me (that and being covered from head to toe in clothes). Plus I have some mystery gel that I got in Japan in 1997 that takes the itch away 100%. It works so well that I stocked up on it. All the tubes I have left expired years ago but they still work! They don't make it anymore! It will be a sad day in the Tiki Hut when I use up my last tube.

As much as I hate mosquitos, I'm SO thankful we don't have Sand Flies here. THOSE. ARE. EVIL.

Mrs. Tiki
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Ali`i

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...squito-magnets

I thought that mosquitos go after the visitors from the mainland in Hawaii.
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:47 AM
Ali`i

http://khon2.com/2014/06/24/why-some...s-than-others/

Soak yourself with Off.