Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More old Commercials anyone remember these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More old Commercials anyone remember these?

There's a fragment of a bouncy local jingle that keeps running through my head, and I can't place it.

"...Māpunapuna Paʻa Street store!"

What business was it for?

At the time, I was a little kid and had no idea of local geography, so I didn't know where Māpunapuna was, let alone Paʻa Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      There's a fragment of a bouncy local jingle that keeps running through my head, and I can't place it.

At the time, I was a little kid and had no idea of local geography, so I didn't know where Māpunapuna was, let alone Paʻa Street.
      ==============
      The only thing I can think of is Gibsons?

Comment

what was <song>"at the Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi"</song>?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          what was <song>"at the Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi"</song>?
          Meet your friends. At Kenny's. At the Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi.

That song all the way back to the time when Kenneth Kaneshiro was still the owner.

That jingle is still heard on the radio, by the way. But with the more politically correct "Kenny's, at the Kamehameha Center in Kalihi."
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

Come to Fisher Hawaii
            Next to Gibson's
            Mapunapuna Pa'a Street store

I was singing this to myself a few weeks ago.

Wow, I totally forgot about that Kenny's jingle. That thing was on for years.

Comment

Another one that I think I finally remembered ....

Said in a deep voice (The Missing Link?) "Redondo's Sausage turns me on."

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Meet your friends. At Kenny's. At the Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi.

That song all the way back to the time when Kenneth Kaneshiro was still the owner.

That jingle is still heard on the radio, by the way. But with the more politically correct "Kenny's, at the Kamehameha Center in Kalihi."
                After all, "Kamehameha" is NOT Chinese!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Another one that I think I finally remembered ....

Said in a deep voice (The Missing Link?) "Redondo's Sausage turns me on."
                  I don't remember that one. But I do recall another Redondo's commercial with the late Ted Sax: "What about my Pupu Pups???"
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Then, there was ROBERT "LUCKY" LUCK devouring malasadas and tearing apart the pao doce (sweet bread) for Leonard's Bakery. Those TV ads put Leonard's on the map.

Others I remember with fond memories:

JOE NICOLAI - Wholesale Motors;
                    DAVID "LIPPY" ESPINDA - service station and used cars;
                    Tire Recap - "2536 So. Beretania St., one block town-side of University Ave."

Gads, these were from over 45 (!) years ago ..........

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                      Remember Pic-a-Pop?

Different flavors of Pic-a-Pop soda came in bottles, and you could pick single bottles out and stockpile them in a large plastic crate that held about a case. Some of the flavors were lemon lime, orange, strawberry, cream soda, and cola.

The Pic-a-Pop jingle was sung in almost a barber shop quartet style and the tail end of the song went "Pic-a-Pop,Pic-a-Pop,Pic-a-Pop!"

It only lasted for a few years (1969-71 I think) and then was gone.
                      It was more like 1974. I think I might have a radio or tv ad for them. One store was in Koko Marina shopping center in Hawaii Kai.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                        JOE NICOLAI - Wholesale Motors;
                        DAVID "LIPPY" ESPINDA - service station and used cars;
                        Tire Recap - "2536 So. Beretania St., one block town-side of University Ave."
                        I remember these folks from the 1970s:

Doug Mossman - Datsun

Granny Goose - Mike Salta Pontiac

Ron Jacobs - Honolulu Ford

Loyal Garner - Cutter Ford

Does anyone remember the skinny haole guy with glasses who used to be on all the TV commercials for Shelley used cars? (The lot that was on the corner of Nimitz and Lagoon.) He would always act hyper and bellowing at the top of his lungs about how Shelley would pay anyone cash on the spot for their old vehicles.

Comment

Fortunately I believe I have most of those car ads mentioned in these threads.

I have Mike Salta ads with Granny Goose going back to at least 1979.

Aj

Comment

Regarding Shelley Used Cars: the guy was named Steve something or other. He used to own Steve's Used Cars on that site before Shelley bought him out.

Regarding Toyota: ex-Fabulous Five basketball player Dwight Holiday did commercials for them. Legend is that after the shoot, DH jumped into his Datsun 240-Z and drove off.

Other ex-UH players: Rod Aldridge sold cars for Honolulu Ford. Al Davis (Fab FIve) is currently with McKenna Ford after previously selling for New City Nissan and a few other dealerships. Mark Kafentzis (football at UH and Cleveland Browns) once sold for Servco Lexus. UH baseball pitcher Wes Kimura at Servco's Toyota City.
                            Last edited by oceanpacific; February 8, 2008, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                              Regarding Toyota: ex-Fabulous Five basketball player Dwight Holiday did commercials for them. Legend is that after the shoot, DH jumped into his Datsun 240-Z and drove off.
                              Wasn't Carole Kai driving a Mercedes at the same time she was a commercial spokesperson for Subaru?

Another memory: For a brief time, Clayton and Alan Naluai were on Toyota commercials. I don't remember exactly when, but it was during the time when everyone used to jump at the end of Toyota's commercials.

Comment

How about radio dj Madman Mike Michaels for Windward Datsun in the 80's. Is he still in radio?

Comment

Working...
                                X