Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More old Commercials anyone remember these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More old Commercials anyone remember these?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    As a privacy issue I'll caution posting names in a public forum unless those names were either referred to in the commercial, were supered as a graphic or permission is granted!
    As we locals would say, "True dat, true dat." From a privacy and legal standpoint.

Although in many cases, these "unnamed" people would NOT mind it at all if their names were publicized, esp. if they are aspiring actors who are trying to break into the business. It all depends.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      [...]
      Although in many cases, these "unnamed" people would NOT mind it at all if their names were publicized, esp. if they are aspiring actors who are trying to break into the business. It all depends.
      And there's always the issue of minors, esp. if they're portraying a fictional character and their real names are not publicized. Personally (& professionally!) I would never reveal on the internet the real name of a commercial actor without the actor's permission. Actors who appear in longer format projects and whose names appear in the credits are already publicly known so I don't have an issue with that.

Comment

Speaking of KITV - my stepdad was Paul Guanzon, the sportscaster before Rick Quan.

On the choir commercial, I remember the end of the jingle clearly:

This is our island home
        We are her sons
        We... are... her... sons.

On other Hawaii commercials, I remember part of Loyal Garner's song:

Come on out to my place baby
        We got a lot in store for you
        Come on out to Consumer City
        You're gonna love it when you do

Don't forget Tire Warehouse, which was the "Head-On" of 70's commercials. We groaned whenever a tire warehouse commercial came on because they were always so bad!

"GO NOW, HAWAII!!! Why pay more?"

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
          Speaking of KITV - my stepdad was Paul Guanzon, the sportscaster before Rick Quan.

Don't forget Tire Warehouse, which was the "Head-On" of 70's commercials. We groaned whenever a tire warehouse commercial came on because they were always so bad!

================
          I hated those Tire spots too. But I bit it and I did buy some tires there. They were terrible tires.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
            If I can recall, I remember local commercials in the late 90's or so about the Hawaii Dental Association or something? I remember there was a commercial that featured a child doing professional yo yo skills and another commercial featuring a man dancing and showing his moves, as he for performed in UH Games??? I'm not sure. And I am wondering what were the names of those people featured in those commercials???
            The guy was well know at the time. His name was Alan Hackbarth, AKA "Rubber Man". He did all his crazy moves at UH games, and was even a member of the football team.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
              The guy was well know at the time. His name was Alan Hackbarth, AKA "Rubber Man". He did all his crazy moves at UH games, and was even a member of the football team.
              Hackbarth had a "partner-in-crime" doing dance routines. A black guy named Warren Epps. Those two were a scream! Student and fan spirit were at a high back then.

Back in the '70s, we had a black cheerleader, James "Kimo" Scott, who continued leading cheers as an "emeritus" member of the pep squad for years after he graduated. He even appeared in a Flamingo Restaurant ad in game programs as a cheerleader. He was interviewed by Don Robbs at the Fabulous Five reunion games in the late '70s as those two exhibition games were broadcast on the radio.

Comment

I doubt too many people will remember because the commercial was pulled not long after it went on the air. FHB featured two men in suits. Their bodies were men's bodies, but one had the head of a bull, the other the head of a bear (bull and bear markets, of course). I was advertising director for one of their competitors at that time (1980s), and I remember thinking how really creepy the ad was. The production value was incredible, as are most of FHB's spots, but sure enough, it got yanked. It still gives me the heebies to think of it...

Comment

One controversial Hawaiian commercial I remember was for David Sunflower Seeds where 2 girls were on the beach and one rolls to one side and you could see from inside her tank top. I knew the girl from High School. The commercial played for a while in 1988 but I'm not sure if it was pulled for the flash scene or if its run ended.

Comment

One controversial Hawaiian commercial I remember was for David Sunflower Seeds where 2 girls were on the beach and one rolls to one side and you could see from inside her tank top. I knew the girl from High School. The commercial played for a while in 1988 but I'm not sure if it was pulled for the flash scene or if its run ended.
                    ===========

David Sunflower seeds shot a local commercial?

Comment

I'll never forget the Tire Warehouse spokesman, Malcolm Love. While the commercials were indeed bad and tacky, they were memorable and you knew what they were selling.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        I'll never forget the Tire Warehouse spokesman, Malcolm Love. While the commercials were indeed bad and tacky, they were memorable and you knew what they were selling.
                        Tacky as it may have been, one thing you have to admit. Nobody would mistake their commercials for a Lex Brodie spot. (Lex with his poker face, monotone delivery, and the predictable "Thank you, very much" tagged on at the end.)
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          The early Tire Warehouse commercials were the ones where he'd shout "Go NOW, Hawaii!" But Love later toned it down and just played it straight up without the over the top shout at the end.

Lex Brodie's son took over his commercials, but it wasn't the same. And wasn't there a controversy with Lex's tires once - that he patched a tire with bubble gum? That was the rumor that I heard, and Frank DeLima even made fun of it during his KOHO radio skit when he mentioned "bubble gum bakatare" in a mock news report on Brodie.

Yes, David Sunflower Seeds aired a local commercial in 1988. I'll try to put it up on youtube and link it later.

Comment

Remember Pic-a-Pop?

Different flavors of Pic-a-Pop soda came in bottles, and you could pick single bottles out and stockpile them in a large plastic crate that held about a case. Some of the flavors were lemon lime, orange, strawberry, cream soda, and cola.

The Pic-a-Pop jingle was sung in almost a barber shop quartet style and the tail end of the song went "Pic-a-Pop,Pic-a-Pop,Pic-a-Pop!"

It only lasted for a few years (1969-71 I think) and then was gone.

Comment

At the risk of merging threads, what about commercials on Checkers & Pogo? I remember S&S Simin. There's another one echoing in my head, but I can't quite pick out the words.

Comment

Morgan White did commercials for American Savings Bank, I have some of these ads, these aired in 1982, same year Checkrs & Pogo went off the air.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X