Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Keiki

Default HD UH Football Games?

Does anyone know whether or not the upcoming UH Football games will be broadcast in HD? It seems rather pathetic that we can get local highschool football games in HD but not the UH games.
Thanks!

Last edited by 2k-tl; July 29th, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: HD UH Football Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k-tl View Post
Does anyone know whether or not the upcoming UH Football games will be broadcast in HD? It seems rather pathetic that we can get local highschool football games in HD but not the UH games.
Thanks!
Meh.

Until KFVE can run at high power in Maui County and neighbor islands (sorry no can catch in Molokai OTA), no make sense in them buying HD broadcasting equipment ... only Oceanic can (I've yet to watch a local high school football game OTA, not cable).

OTA = Over The Air/Antenna.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: HD UH Football Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Meh.

Until KFVE can run at high power in Maui County and neighbor islands (sorry no can catch in Molokai OTA), no make sense in them buying HD broadcasting equipment ... only Oceanic can (I've yet to watch a local high school football game OTA, not cable).

OTA = Over The Air/Antenna.
That’s an interesting perspective, but I doubt Maui has anything to do with KFVE/KHNL’s high definition (HD) capabilities. They key, or “missing piece” as the cliché goes, is an HD satellite truck. Namely the one KHNL/KFVE doesn’t have.

Just three years ago, KHNL/KFVE wasn’t broadcasting in HD. But that all changed with the digital mandate. Actual HD programming is optional for stations, but having the capability to broadcast in HD has actually been mandatory under the digital conversion law.

Take a look at KHNL/KFVE’s newscasts. The in-studio shots are at least 720p HD. This means Oceanic Cable is receiving an HD signal from KHNL. But, unfortunately, UH football games aren’t played in the KHNL studio. They’re played at Aloha Stadium. So, as I said earlier, KHNL/KFVE will NOT be able to exercise the option of broadcasting UH football games in HD until they upgrade to an HD sat truck. This truck will give them the ability to transmit an HD signal from Halawa to their Sand Island station, which theoretically, they can then broadcast OTA (assuming they have the HD field cameras to shoot the games with).

With the economy the way it is, I wouldn’t hold your breath.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
That’s an interesting perspective, but I doubt Maui has anything to do with KFVE/KHNL’s high definition (HD) capabilities. They key, or “missing piece” as the cliché goes, is an HD satellite truck. Namely the one KHNL/KFVE doesn’t have.
Who have one?

Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Luna

Perhaps you missed this announcement;

"If all goes as planned, the entire home schedule for the University of Hawaii pay-per-view sports broadcasts this year will be offered in high-definition.

Oceanic Time Warner Cable, KFVE and UH are near agreement on a deal to upgrade to HD all home games on the pay-per-view schedule, Oceanic vice president Norman Santos said yesterday. The pay-per-view events again include football, women's volleyball and men's basketball games."

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2...ng_for_UH.html
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Keiki

Thanks all. Media Guy, I didn't see that and it answers the question (somewhat) as to what's the status. But... that was back in July 7th... I wonder what's the latest.
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Luna

There are a few more details to be worked out, but it's looking good for HD in the fall!
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Guy View Post
There are a few more details to be worked out, but it's looking good for HD in the fall!
If you pay. Hmph.

Old August 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
If you pay. Hmph.
Big-time college sports is a business. It's all about making money.

The average salary for an NCAA Div. I football head coach is $1 million dollars. Where do you think that moola comes from?
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Big-time college sports is a business. It's all about making money.

The average salary for an NCAA Div. I football head coach is $1 million dollars. Where do you think that moola comes from?
Stadium ticket sales.

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Luna

Quote:
Stadium ticket sales.
Ticket sales is just a small part.
K5 & Oceanic Cable pay UH over $2 million annually for TV boradcast rights. UH makes over another $1.5 Million from its share of pay-per-view revenue.
In order to do the broadcast, Oceanic has to bring in a $11 million HD production truck. Its is big business!
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Ticket sales is just a small part.
K5 & Oceanic Cable pay UH over $2 million annually for TV boradcast rights. UH makes over another $1.5 Million from its share of pay-per-view revenue.
In order to do the broadcast, Oceanic has to bring in a $11 million HD production truck. Its is big business!
NEP was going to convert it's truck in Hawaii to HD anyway to cover the national sports broadcast in HD for ESPN. What's funny is that UH may now be the only client.
Mercedes Championship...GONE!
Hula Bowl...GONE!
Senior Skins....GONE!
Pro Bowl...Gone!...Sorta

Pretty much left with (2nd Tier) Sony Open, (2nd Tier)Hawaii Bowl and Maui Classic.
Not much bang for the $24mil it cost NEP to convert the truck.
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Mercedes Championship...GONE!
Back in May, Seoul Broadcasting System announced a 10-year agreement to become title sponsor of the PGA Tour's season-opening tournament in Kapalua. It's scheduled for Monday Jan 4 – Sunday Jan 10, 2010. I guess it will be the "SBS Championship".
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
Back in May, Seoul Broadcasting System announced a 10-year agreement to become title sponsor of the PGA Tour's season-opening tournament in Kapalua. It's scheduled for Monday Jan 4 – Sunday Jan 10, 2010. I guess it will be the "SBS Championship".
Any chance, SBS will invest in KBFD's OTA transmission for Maui County?

I kinda sorta miss Korean Drama [subtitled].

Old August 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Luna

NEP already coverted its truck, and it was used all last year for OC16 sports broadcasts. Its also doing it again for the foreseeable future, as all sports broadcast on OC16 are in HD.
NEP's truck (ND2 HD) couldn't do the UH games because of overlapping dates, and there are only 11-15 UH HD pay-per-view dates versus 40+ OC16 dates. The conversion cost was $10 million.

Sorry Random, but I doubt any stations are going to invest in improving OTA.
Less than 5% of Hawaii's viewing audience watches OTA. It's just not economincally feesable to invest that in much capital expenditures for such a small amount of viewers.
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Ali`i

Talking Re: HD UH Football Games?

Quote:
Less than 5% of Hawaii's viewing audience watches OTA. It's just not economincally feesable to invest that in much capital expenditures for such a small amount of viewers.
Sighs. I guess we have to subscribe to everything: TV programming, radio (including the Emergency Broadcast System, not including tax subsidies), public toilet use...

Old August 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: HD UH Football Games?

Quote:
Sighs. I guess we have to subscribe to everything: TV programming, radio (including the Emergency Broadcast System, not including tax subsidies), public toilet use...
You don’t have to. (Unfortunately for you) it’s just the choice 95% of households have already made. You could lobby for OTA and start a campaign to cancel cable subscriptions statewide. But many of the people who considered that, chose to convert to DirecTV® or the DISH™ network in the end. You could find friends among them.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Kanaka

One evening, after receiving my cable bill, I decided to call Oceanic Cable to have them explain some of the charges on my $143.00 monthly bill. Three times during the explanation I interrupted the representative and asked him to elaborate on a particular point. When I interrupted him the third time, he said to me, "Sir, if you would shut up and listen, you might be able to understand what I am telling you." I bit my tongue, thanked him for his time and hung up.

The next day I called Dish TV and had them install service. I also had Hawaiian Tel install DSL service. When the new service was in, I cancelled Oceanic Cable.

I now have better picture quality with Dish TV as well as Sirius/XM satellite music channels. My DSL service is faster and more reliable than the Road Runner service I had before.

And my total Cable/Internet bill is about $40.00 a month less.

I'll miss seeing the UH games at home, but Oceanic Time Warner's arrogance finally got to me.
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Luna

There's no excuse for the customer services agent's arrogance, but let me give all you Oceanic hater's an explaination of why you are billed for watching the service they supply.
First of all, if any of you remember before cable (early 70s), only about four stations were available OTA for about 45% of the population. Everyone loved when cable came in, although there was only about a dozen channels.
Oceanic now has over 80 channels on basic analog cable. Digital about 150, Digital HD 175, and another 50 coming by year end.
Oceanic pays an average of $35 million a month for those channels.
So Oceanic brings in about $40 million a month for cable subscriptions, and nets $5 million a month from it.
Now take in consideration what they pay out for the payroll and benefits the hundreds of people it employs, maintance and repairs, equipment purchases, land and building leases.
They are a business, and most of us don't mind paying for the service they provide, and more importantly don't want to go back to watching three or four fuzzy channels.
Its a choice everyone can make to do or not to do, but obviously 95% of the population has made that choice. Its the beauty of free enterprise.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Yep. I said it before and I'll say it again. This is all, first and foremost, a business. Hence, the decisions are dictated by numbers, not "fairness to all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
I now have better picture quality with Dish TV
Better picture quality with satellite? Sure,.... until the days when heavy cloud cover disrupts the reception on all of your channels. And those days will happen. If you can live with those brief periods when the weather plays havoc with your TV reception, then the move to Dish Network will have been a good one for you. I have a couple of other friends (one living in Manoa, the other Nuuanu) who ditched Oceanic for Dish, then switched back because they couldn't stand the disruptions. Of course, they live in areas with higher than average rainfall. The problem may not be as bad in areas with clearer skies.

Quote:
First of all, if any of you remember before cable (early 70s), only about four stations were available OTA for about 45% of the population. Everyone loved when cable came in, although there was only about a dozen channels.
Much of what you say here is true,..... except that cable TV service on Oahu existed as far back as the 1960s. Back then, there was no cable TV programming (HBO, Showtime, TBS, etc). Just the OTA TV channels and a few FM radio stations. Despite the lack of cable programming, there was a demand for cable service as there were a significant number of households located in valleys where OTA reception was very weak, even with rooftop aerials.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Luna

Quote:
Yep. I said it before and I'll say it again. This is all, first and foremost, a business. Hence, the decisions are dictated by numbers, not "fairness to all."

Better picture quality with satellite? Sure,.... until the days when heavy cloud cover disrupts the reception on all of your channels. And those days will happen. If you can live with those brief periods when the weather plays havoc with your TV reception, then the move to Dish Network will have been a good one for you. I have a couple of other friends (one living in Manoa, the other Nuuanu) who ditched Oceanic for Dish, then switched back because they couldn't stand the disruptions. Of course, they live in areas with higher than average rainfall. The problem may not be as bad in areas with clearer skies.

Much of what you say here is true,..... except that cable TV service on Oahu existed as far back as the 1960s. Back then, there was no cable TV programming (HBO, Showtime, TBS, etc). Just the OTA TV channels and a few FM radio stations. Despite the lack of cable programming, there was a demand for cable service as there were a significant number of households located in valleys where OTA reception was very weak, even with rooftop aerials.
You're right. I Mis-remembered, but I knew it was in demand because many households, including mine could only catch one or two stations in Kailua.
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
You don’t have to. (Unfortunately for you) it’s just the choice 95% of households have already made. You could lobby for OTA and start a campaign to cancel cable subscriptions statewide. But many of the people who considered that, chose to convert to DirecTV® or the DISH™ network in the end. You could find friends among them.
I don't want to cancel cable subscription. The last thing I want is for FM to be mad at me because he can't watch his Disney Channel.

Like Obama's health insurance plan, I want the free option, while others can still choose the other ones. If that means the government through FCC can provide tax break for OTA stations to upgrade HD OTA equipment, then that's great.

And you're right, FM it is business. So, not to hijack the thread, but what's in it for us Molokai folk to put up windmill farms to provide Oahu more electricity demand?

Last edited by Random; August 30th, 2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
And you're right, FM it is business. So, not to hijack the thread, but what's in it for us Molokai folk to put up windmill farms to provide Oahu more electricity demand?
Good question. The answer is found here:

http://www.firstwind.com/aboutFirstW...06c1c3103&test

To determine whether Molokai residents would support a large wind farm transmitting power to Oahu, First Wind spent more than two years meeting with Molokai individuals, families, nonprofit organizations, businesses, and community organizations. Residents asked for lower electricity costs, clean and renewable fuel sources for the Molokai electrical grid, community access to any lands where a wind farm is constructed, and control over the lands currently owned by the Molokai Ranch. In response to these concerns, First Wind committed to working with residents to achieve all of these goals.

“After two years of discussions, we feel comfortable partnering with First Wind,” said Kammy Purdy, a Hawaiian homesteader living in Hoolehua where the proposed project will be located. “They understand the significance of doing this project on Hawaiian Home Lands. This is a win-win situation – we have a productive use of our lands and we contribute to a better environment for our island, our state, our nation and the world – all in a way that preserves our island, respects our lifestyle, generates revenue and uses modern technology.

The additional 150 MW of wind generation could be constructed on lands commonly referred to as the Molokai Ranch, and owned by Molokai Properties Limited, a subsidiary of the Hong Kong-based Guoco Group Limited. When First Wind came to Molokai in 2006, community leaders were already working to organize a campaign to purchase Molokai Ranch from Guoco. In November 2007, First Wind made a $50 million pledge to this campaign. The Molokai Community Service Council, a non-profit community development corporation, spearheads the Ho‘i I Ka Pono (“Restore the Pono”) campaign to purchase the Ranch. Executive Director Karen Holt explains that the campaign is based on the conviction that “the only way to protect Moloka‘i’s culture, environment and lifestyle is to give the people who live here the power to decide how to manage our limited resources.” If the community succeeds in purchasing the Ranch, First Wind would lease lands from the community to build its wind farm, and the community would use the income to create jobs, restoring Molokai’s environmental and cultural resources.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Kanaka

Quote:

Almost a year with only a couple of minor outages during heavy rainfall. That's about the same number of outages I had in a similar time frame with cable.

I could make a long list of other things that added to my dissatisfaction with Time Warner (at the top of the list would be the sub-par digital DVR box), but that really isn't the point of this thread.

My memories of life before cable are fuzzy...not because I'm getting older, but because most of the OTA video was...fuzzy. Cable has provided a wonderful service, but I decided that they really didn't care if they had my business or not, so I moved on to Dish TV.

On another off-thread note, I believe we are just a few years away from seeing the end of OTA TV as a delivery medium for network television. Over twenty years ago, when I was working in 30 Rock, a friend of mine on the television side told me of plans being discussed by NBC to bypass the affiliates altogether. It was (and still is) considered an inefficient and expensive delivery system. And that was before the Internet entered the picture.
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Luna

That was because until recently the networks used to pay their affiliates to run network programming. Now there's reverse compensation, where station are paying to be affilates. FOX in New Orleans and upstate. NBC is trying to go that way with most of its affiliates when it renews their contracts.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/07/n...re_to_swal.php