Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ratings Numbers Are In

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – (Honolulu, Hawaii) – December 17, 2009

Nielsen numbers for the November 2009 television ratings period were released today. KHON2 is the undisputed leader in all local and world newscasts and has re-captured the ten o’clock late news race. Hawaii’s television viewers again have chosen KHON2 – Hawaii’s News Channel as the station they prefer for all their news, information and entertainment. KHON2 is Hawaii’s highest-rated television station, making it the most-watched from sign-on to sign-off.

Wake UP 2day, KHON2’s newly-revamped morning newscast certainly woke up the marketplace, regaining the number one position. The morning news team of Jai Cunningham, newly-introduced Olena Heu, Kirk Matthews, Manolo Morales and Trini Kaopuiki are a delight to watch. Not only did they out distance the other local morning newscasts, they even beat out the network morning newscasts including the Today Show, Good Morning America and the CBS Morning News.

“The recent fine tuning we did with our newscasts is certainly reflected in the ratings increase we have experienced and is an indication of the tremendous vision and dedication of the KHON2 news team,” says KHON2 News Director Lori Silva.

KHON2 News Hawaii at Five with Ron Mizutani and Justin Cruz claims the number one position with a 8 rating, reaching 45,000 viewers nightly – six thousand more than its closest competitor.

KHON2 News World Report with Joe Moore is once again number one with a 7 rating and an increase to 47,000 loyal viewers, beating all network world newscasts.

KHON2 News Hawaii at Six with Joe Moore, Kanoa Leahey and Justin Cruz dominates the TV landscape with a 12 rating, representing 84,000 viewers, doubling its closest competitor.

KHON2 News Hawaii at Ten with Joe Moore, Kanoa Leahey and Justin Cruz has re-gained its number one position with a 9 rating, representing 62,000 viewers – 10,000 more than the recently formed Hawaii News Now 10pm newscast.

KHON2 Weekend Newscast with Marisa Yamane and John Veneri dominates the weekend with an average 8 rating, representing 52,500 viewers – 14,500 more than its closest competition.

Wheel of Fortune continues to dominate the lead-in to network prime with a 13 rating, representing 89,000 viewers, about 34,000 more viewers than the other stations combined.

President and General Manager Joe McNamara stated, “I couldn’t be more proud of our entire KHON2 staff. It was undoubtedly a united effort to provide Hawaii’s top-notched news coverage day-in and day-out that has kept us as the leader in news gathering and delivery in the State of Hawaii.”

KHON2 Marketing

Re: The Ratings Numbers Are In

Hawaii News Now leads ratings morning and night
    Posted: Dec 17, 2009 4:23 PM HST Updated: Dec 17, 2009 5:05 PM HST

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hawaii News Now: Sunrise remains Hawaii's most watched morning newscast. Sunrise maintains dominance in the 5-7AM hours and is the only local morning news program to show substantial growth year to year.

"In just two years, Sunrise has become the standard for morning television in Hawaii," says News Director Chris Archer. "The team, the energy, the local coverage. Easy to wake-up to. Hard not to watch."

Hawaii News Now: Sunrise airs weekdays from 4:30AM – 8AM on KGMB, and is simulcast from 5AM-7AM on KHNL. The 3½ hour show is hosted by co-anchors Steve Uyehara and Grace Lee, Weather Anchor Dan Cooke, Traffic Reporter Taizo Braden, Roving Reporters Lisa Kubota and Malika Dudley, Business Reporter Howard Dicus, plus special contributors Billy V and Amy Kalili.

On January 11, Hawaii News Now: Sunrise will expand one-hour, airing from 8AM-9AM on KFVE.

The following is a breakdown of the November 2009 Nielsen ratings per half hour (Time Period)of Sunrise, compared to May 2009 and November 2008.

Hawaii News Now: Sunrise ratings and share reflect the simulcast on KGMB and KHNL.

Please note: Nielsen does not yet rate the 4:30AM – 5AM time period.
    NOV 09 NOV 08
    5:00-5:30AM Local Morning News
    Hawaii News Now: Sunrise 2/25*
    KGMB/KHNL Simulcast 2/27 1/6**
    KHON 2/23 3/26
    KITV 1/12 1/10

5:30-6:00AM Local Morning News
    Hawaii News Now: Sunrise 3/23*
    KGMB/KHNL Simulcast 4/32 1/6**
    KHON 3/24 3/25
    KITV 1/10 2/12

6:00-6:30AM Local Morning News
    Hawaii News Now: Sunrise 4/20*
    KGMB/KHNL Simulcast 6/33 1/5**
    KHON 4/22 5/26
    KITV 2/9 2/11

6:30-7:00AM Local Morning News
    Hawaii News Now: Sunrise 4/20*
    KGMB/KHNL Simulcast 6/27 1/6**
    KHON 5/23 5/24
    KITV 2/10 2/9

7:00-7:30AM Morning News
    Hawaii News Now: Sunrise
    KGMB 4/16 3/11
    KHNL (Today Show) 2/10 2/10
    KHON 5/20 5/20
    KITV (Good Morning America) 2/9 2/10

7:30-8:00AM Morning News
    Hawaii News Now: Sunrise
    KGMB 3/15 2/10
    KHNL (Today Show) 2/10 2/11
    KHON 4/19 4/20
    KITV (Good Morning America) 2/9 2/10

* = Nov 08 Rtg/Shr for Sunrise on KGMB9 - KGMB-TV
    ** = Nov 08 Rtg/Shr for KHNL News 8 Today - KHNL-TV

Hawaii News Now airing on KGMB, KHNL and KFVE delivers ratings success in its first Nielsen sweeps period. Hawaii News Now broadcasts 40 hours of fresh news content per week across three platforms, providing more options and more local news to viewers.

"All things considered we remain in a very competitive position," says General Manager Rick Blangiardi. "I am proud of and inspired by the tremendous hard work and dedication of everyone on our team. This is a very solid beginning for our new enterprise."

News Director Chris Archer says, "We threw a lot of changes at our staff and viewers just before the November ratings. These numbers are a strong validation of all that hard work, and we appreciate the patience and acceptance from our viewers. Hawaii News Now has just begun, and what a great start."

The November ratings period shows growth at 5:00PM, 6:00PM, 6:30PM, 9:00PM, and 10:00PM year to year. The following is a breakdown of the Program Averages for the November 2009 Nielsen ratings compared to November 2008.

NOV 09 NOV 08
    5:00 PM (M-F)
    Hawaii News Now at 5:00 6/17*
    KGMB/KHNL Simulcast 7/22 1/4**
    KHON 8/21 7/19
    KITV 5/13 6/16

5:30 PM (M-F)
    Hawaii News Now at 5:30
    KHNL 2/4 3/8^
    KGMB (CBS Evening News) 6/16 6/16
    KHON 7/20 7/17
    KITV 5/14 6/16

6:00 PM (M-F)
    Hawaii News Now at 6:00 -
    KGMB 7/16 7/15
    KHNL (NBC Nightly News) 2/5 2/5~
    KHON 12/27 13/28
    KITV 6/13 6/12

6:30 PM (M-F)
    Hawaii News Now at 6:30
    KFVE 1/3 1/2

9:00 PM (M-F)
    Hawaii News Now at 9:00
    KFVE 4/8 4/7

10:00 PM (M-F)
    Hawaii News Now at 10:00 10/25*
    KGMB/KHNL Simulcast 12/29 3/7**
    KHON 9/22 7/18
    KITV 4/11 4/11

* = Nov 08 Rtg/Shr for KGMB9 News - KGMB-TV
    ** = Nov 08 Rtg/Shr for KHNL News 8 - KHNL-TV
    ^ = Nov 08 Rtg/Shr for NBC Nightly News (5:30 p.m.) - KHNL-TV
    ~ = Nov 08 Rtg/Shr for KHNL News 8 at 6:00 p.m. - KHNL-TV

Comment

NSI November 2009

KHON2
      KGMB
      KITV
      KHNL

HH Rtg/Sh/Adl 18+ (000)
      HH Rtg/Sh/Adl 18+ (000)
      HH Rtg/Sh/Adl 18+ (000)
      (HH Rtg/Sh/Adl 18+ (000)

Morning News:

M-F 5-8a 4/22 23 KHON
      M-F 430-8a 3/19 17 KGMB
      M-F 5-7a 1/11 6 KITV
      M-F 5-7a 1/4 3 KHNL

M-F 5pm News:

8/21 45 KHON
      6/18 39 KGMB
      5/13 30 KITV
      1/4 8 KHNL

M-F 530p News:

7/20 47 KHON
      6/16 35 KGMB
      5/14 34 KITV
      2/4 10 KHNL

M-F 6pm News:

12/27 84 KHON
      7/16 43 KGMB
      6/13 37 KITV
      3/5 15 KHNL

M-F 10pm News:

9/22 62 KHON
      9/22 52 KGMB
      4/11 26 KITV
      3/7 17 KHNL

Sa Early News:

9/24 59 6-630p KHON
      6/18 35 5-530p KGMB
      2/7 16 545-6p KITV
      1/4 7 5-530p KHNL

Sa 10pm News:

6/18 48 KHON
      5/16 30 KGMB
      3/10 20 KITV
      2/1 11 KHNL

Su Early News:

8/18 56 6-630p KHON
      6/15 36 5-530p KGMB
      4/9 21 5-530p KITV
      2/6 11 5-530p KHNL

Su 10pm News:

7/18 47 KHON
      8/22 51 KGMB
      5/12 28 KITV
      2/7 11 KHNL

M-F 630-7p:

13/28 89 Wheel of Fortune
      3/7 16 The Insider
      3/7 21 Seinfeld
      3/6 18 Entertainment Tonight

Tonight

M-SU 7a-1a
      4/13 23
      3/12 19
      3/9 15
      2/6 10

Comment

I feel like I'm watching a ping pong match!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          I feel like I'm watching a ping pong match!
          Indeed!

Also, it's funny to take averages over time periods that are not the same (morning shows). You really need to look at them hour by hour to compare apples-to-apples. Of course doing an average with 4:30 - 5 would take the average down... people are sleeping (including me!).

But yes, lots of spin (and to be honest, I do work for Hawaii Now... I'm the digital media director, but my Hawaii News Now account wouldn't log me in). But I thought it would be disingenuous to just have one press release.

What do you think about adding the numbers together for the simulcasts? I'm curious what people think... If you think of it as how many people/households are watching a program in a period of time, then adding makes sense.

And do people care? Or is it just the people in the business?

Jared I. Kuroiwa
          Last edited by IslandBeef; December 17, 2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I have to remind users here that you are not to post entire news articles taken from another website.

It is best to link back to the original article and use only a short excerpt from it.

While I haven't checked the above items which seem to be press releases from each station, I would appreciate it if you folks cited the link from where the press release came from.

There is a general board rule regarding using content of articles and other items from websites outside of Hawaii Threads that are not your own.

Excerpt and summarize, but don't copy and paste. Very often, a news article or website can spark a great discussion. However, do not cut-and-paste the text of an article or reproduce other material in its entirety in your posts -- this often runs afoul of copyright rules. At most, quote one or two paragraphs that you think are the most interesting, then provide the link to the source for those who want to read the whole thing.
            We recently took down a photo appearing in another thread because it was a copyright violation and not an original work of the poster.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Sorry Mel, yes we did have a press release (well, Hawaii News Now)...

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11697153

Thanks for monitoring,
              Jared

Comment

The press release I quoted was emailed to me and I just copied it over. Sorry if I did anything wrong!

I was just bringing over the numbers I was given, I don't work for any of the news stations!
                Last edited by HaleiwaDiva; December 17, 2009, 09:32 PM. Reason: revised

Comment

Joe Moore just announced that KHON news is now #1 in all the time slots.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Joe Moore just announced that KHON news is now #1 in all the time slots.
                    Not surprising.

Having the former #1 10pm news merge with the old #4 news, did not help IMO. Sorry, Hawaii News Now is just old News 8 with mostly KGMB faces.

I've stopped watching @ 10 in favor on KITV's hour long news.

On another note, thanks folks for being understanding of the article/press release issue. Your links and email explanation were satisfactory.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Viewing habits are slow to change, so the vast majority of viewers likely couldn't care less who's # 1 or # 3. It's the people "in the business" who make a big deal about this, because, for real, it affects the bottom line.

For those folks, I think it makes sense to combine simulcast numbers, because that is the indicator of the total number of people who are watching the newscast - whatever station it is on.
                      The trick comes when/if selling spots on, for example, KHNL, using combined numbers of the KHNL/KGMB simulcast - no can, or at least shouldn't.
                      What happens when you start selling spots on the simulcast to air on all stations? Or maybe that's a violation of some kind of monopoly thingie . . .? And maybe that's the most powerful arguement for detractors in the SSA debate. That kind of thing needs to be monitored.

Comment

Shared news agreement muddles TV ratings race

The Honolulu Nielsen ratings for November released yesterday caused a barrage of claims, counterclaims, spin and confusion, as it was the first rating period to reflect the merged news operations of KGMB-TV, KHNL-TV and KFVE-TV since the late October start of a shared services agreement (SSA).

Controversy arose among the SSA's competitors in part because KGMB and KHNL added both stations' ratings together for simulcasts of its "Hawaii News Now"-branded newscasts, with staffs merged from the formerly independent and competing newsrooms
                        Read the rest by clicking the title above.

--------------------------------

From the Honolulu Advertiser:

KHON still No. 1 in early evening news
                        But recently formed Hawaii News Now tops ratings at 10 p.m.

Hawaii News Now, which combined the newsrooms of KGMB, KHNL and K5, was first place for the 10 p.m. news when you add the ratings of the stations' simulcasted news broadcasts.
                        Click on the title to read the entire article.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

After a great cold night of sleep... I woke up and thought, hmm the confusion is from what ratings mean because it means different things to different people.

To news people, ratings represent the number of people watching their newscasts. So to a news person, the ratings numbers of a simulcast should be added together as it represents people watching a newscast at a moment in time.

But... to sales people and clients, ratings represent how much a spot is worth. So for them, the numbers have to be separate as the cost per rating point is sold per station (not together). A spot on KGMB and a spot of KHNL during a simulcast do not have the same value, BUT the value of the two spots are worth close to if it was one spot with the combined rating points.

So... if you look at the ratings as a company (KHNL & KGMB), then the ratings are together for sales and clients. But if you are looking at it for the value of either station on its own, then you need to keep them separate.

That being said, which is important to the public? I still think that it's together, right? Unless you were a sales person for one of the stations or a spot buyer, why would you care to separate the two?

Comment

Originally posted by IslandBeef View Post
                            And do people care? Or is it just the people in the business?
                            Well, since you asked, I do not care about the ratings.

Call me a simpleton, but I choose my news preferences based on how much news is given, if there are interesting investigative reports, and if there is an absence of bantering and chatting and joking between the newscasters. Matter of fact, when there is too much "friendly chatter" going on, I start to consider the news more as "entertainment" instead of news. I watch news for the "news", not to be "entertained".
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              Well, since you asked, I do not care about the ratings.

Call me a simpleton, but I choose my news preferences based on how much news is given, if there are interesting investigative reports, and if there is an absence of bantering and chatting and joking between the newscasters. Matter of fact, when there is too much "friendly chatter" going on, I start to consider the news more as "entertainment" instead of news. I watch news for the "news", not to be "entertained".
                              I agree. In fact, when they start to chat, I pick up the remote and change the channel. I just want the news.

Comment

Working...
                              X