Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michelle Wie

Thank you Michelle Wie for being an excellent example.

School principal Glen Kila estimated the planned donations and refurbishing of the computer room would top $60,000, and possibly $100,000.

Wie's desire to help came in response to a recent series by The Advertiser on the homeless crisis along the coast.
    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...611140338/1001

I wish more people who could... would be as giving as her.

Her first big check she cut was to the Katrina Victims...and now this.

Comment

Another poor performance by Wie
      Michelle Wie beat only one player in yet another embarrassing performance in a men's event, shooting an 8-over 80 on Friday in the second round of the Japanese tour's Casio World Open. [...] In her previous two men's events, she finished last in the European Masters (78-79) and 84 Lumber Classic (77-81). In the event before that, she withdrew from the John Deere Classic because of heat exhaustion after playing 27 holes in 8 over. She said the poor performances wouldn't deter her from playing in men's events.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        At this point, one has to ask, why is she still seeking to play against the men? I have no probs with her challenging in the PGA but clearly she's not at that level, why does she look down on the LPGA? It's not like she's dominating in that league either?

Comment

The real problem is that she turned pro much too early.

Comment

Okay Michelle.... nuff already... try win some LPGA event first.

Comment

I wonder how Tadd Fujikawa's success at the Sony last week will affect Team Wie's game plan. It's the first time in quite a while that she probably hasn't been considered Hawaii's favorite golfer. Even before Tadd's run it seemed she'd begun losing some of the home court advantage when signs were posted adjoining Waialae questioning her inclusion in the field.

It seems clear to just about everybody outside her circle that she doesn't belong on the PGA Tour, at least right now. As a fan myself, I find it painful to see her continue to fail at this level, and continue to trot out the same excuses explanations rationalizations speeches that her sponsor-provided spin doctors coach her say. Maybe *she* believes that "it's not a marketing plan", but don't think that Sony and Nike feel that it isn't when they see all the media she attracts while brandishing their logos.

The LPGA season is just about to start up at Ko Olina and last I heard Michelle hadn't committed to play either there or Turtle Bay the following week. Even on this tour she's losing some of her shine - she's 17 now and has yet to win a tournament. Not that it takes away any of her talent, but a lot of the initial buzz was as "child phenom", which largely doesn't apply anymore as she's (too) quickly becoming a woman, and other rising stars like Hawaii's own Kimberly Kim are coming up quickly. If she fails to win on the ladies' tour this year, it's just going to get harder next year when she's attending Stanford full time.

Comment

Bummer. According to this Breaking News story on the Advertiser's website:

"Michelle Wie withdrew from the Ginn Tribute today after playing much of the first round with bandaged wrists and shooting 14 over par through 16 holes.
                "After Wie bogeyed the par-4 seventh -- her 16th as she started on the back nine -- the 17-year-old Punahou School senior told an LPGA tour official: "We're not going to play anymore."
                (...)
                "Wie's round included a 10 on the par-5 No. 3 hole. She triple-bogeyed another hole.
                "Starting on the back nine on the River Towne Country Club in Mount Pleasant S.C., Wie's game went south almost immediately as she played the first five holes in 7-over.
                "She opened with a par and then went bogey, double bogey, bogey and triple bogey on successive holes. She bogeyed hole No. 16 to fall to 8-over before closing with a birdie-3 on hole No. 18 to make the turn at 7-over 43.
                "Wie parred the first two holes on her back nine before recording a 10 on the par-5 No. 3.
                "She then bogeyed the par-4 No. 5 -- her 14th -- to fall to 13-over. After recording another bogey on her 16th hole, Wie withdrew."

But Michelle wasn't the only wrist-plagued golfer this morning, as noted at this link, also from the Advertiser's site:

"The looming duel between Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson at the Memorial Tournament disappeared before Woods even hit his first shot: Mickelson withdrew with an injured left wrist after 11 holes.
                "I don't think it's anything serious but it just got worse. I couldn't grab the club and I couldn't swing," said Mickelson, who was 2 over through 11 holes today before returning to the clubhouse. "I hit a wedge on 2 and it got really aggravated."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Oh geez, the Michelle-haters are gonna have a field day with this! There is so much resentment towards her already (some justified) because of her huge endorsement deals and sponsor exemptions into men's and women's events that some (many?) say she hasn't earned based on her lack of winning a tournament. She gets into these events because she sells tickets, period. But how long will she continue to do so? Her sell-by date seems to be fast approaching, especially now that her rival Morgan Pressel became the youngest woman to win an LPGA major a couple months back.

I just hope that her injury heals quickly enough for her to bounce back and fulfill at least some of the potential she's been riding for the past few years.

Comment

I am not a Michelle Wie hater. However, from the beginning, I have expressed concern about what appears to me to be typical controlling 1 child parent syndrome.

Everytime I've done that, people call me a Wie hater.

I have always felt a little sorry for the girl. She's been used and pimped like a race horse.

I think the poor girl is feeling the pressure of having lost most of her high school years to golf. I think she's got her mind on going to college away from her controling parents and getting on with her life.

These girls usually end up rebelling at the next stage of life. Colored hair, piercings, sex, boyfriends of races the parents won't celebrate. In her recent interviews, it seemed very clear to me that she was excited and elated to be leaving Hawaii and probably mostly the grip of her parents and the whole media circus.

I hope she lets go and has a blast in college and starts to catch up on the fun of life that she missed out on.

Comment

• Re: Michelle Wie

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                      I wonder how Tadd Fujikawa's success at the
                      As a fan myself, I find it painful to see her continue to fail at this level, and continue to trot out the same excuses explanations rationalizations speeches that her sponsor-provided spin doctors coach her say.
                      This sums up my feelings for Wie. So much talent, not enough mental toughness (compare her to Morgan Pressel, whom I dislike, but respect tremendously), and full of excuses. It's always wrist this, or conditions that, or fatigue whatever. Own up to your bad play, take criticisms and learn from them, and work hard to get better. It seems like kids in general have aversions to being criticized. Can't let it affect you like that, especially if you are one to go seeking praise and adoration.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
                        This sums up my feelings for Wie. So much talent, not enough mental toughness (compare her to Morgan Pressel, whom I dislike, but respect tremendously), and full of excuses. It's always wrist this, or conditions that, or fatigue whatever. Own up to your bad play, take criticisms and learn from them, and work hard to get better. It seems like kids in general have aversions to being criticized. Can't let it affect you like that, especially if you are one to go seeking praise and adoration.

WOW! I've always had some distant admiration for people and cultures with that kind of discipline. Russian gymnastics, Chinese Women’s Volleyball etc. But I’ve also been happy that I didn’t grow up with parents like that or in a culture like those.

Much of your comments seem appropriate for adults. But for children? I tend to think that the parents that are most controlling and critical and abusive are the ones who want their children to succeed for THEIR own sense of accomplishment. In the United States, that usually backfires.

I am no Tiger Woods expert but I never sensed that with Tiger Woods relationship with his father. Seemed to be one of the warmest most respectful father son relationships I’ve seen (albeit from afar). Tiger seemed to deeply love his father not fear him. Tiger seemed to honor and admire his dad more than he probably thinks he should be admired for his golf abilities. That is one of the reasons I think Tiger went through that boot camp experience. I think he really really admired his father and wanted to “be like dad”. When his dad died, it was obvious he was missing his best friend.

And Tiger’s dad didn’t seem to have a problem with Tiger not turning pro to make a million but instead to go to college. He seemed to support his son, not control and direct.

Michelle’s father on the other hand had to be convinced that it was time for him to let go 3 or 4 years back. Michelle seems like she honors her parents in that stoic and maybe even fearful manner common in Asian cultures. I think that control and all the easy money took the fun out of golf for Michelle and she just wants her life back, even if it means losing a few million bucks in the process.

I say take your life back Michelle. Go to college and have good clean fun, fun, fun. Do what you want when you want it. But hopefully don’t let the frustration of being a child prodigy cause to go too far in the name of fun. Keep your moral compass and maintain self respect.

But be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Comment

Ouch. Didn't think it would get worse this fast but it did.

Comment

I could give ten million reasons why people's attitudes and viewpoints change....

I still hope she goes on to a long and sucessful golf career and not flame out early. The potential and game are there.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                              I am not a Michelle Wie hater. However, from the beginning, I have expressed concern about what appears to me to be typical controlling 1 child parent syndrome.

Everytime I've done that, people call me a Wie hater.

I have always felt a little sorry for the girl. She's been used and pimped like a race horse.

I think the poor girl is feeling the pressure of having lost most of her high school years to golf. I think she's got her mind on going to college away from her controling parents and getting on with her life.

These girls usually end up rebelling at the next stage of life. Colored hair, piercings, sex, boyfriends of races the parents won't celebrate. In her recent interviews, it seemed very clear to me that she was excited and elated to be leaving Hawaii and probably mostly the grip of her parents and the whole media circus.

I hope she lets go and has a blast in college and starts to catch up on the fun of life that she missed out on.
                              I agree! She needs to let loose now or you watch, in about 10 years the girl will end up posing nude in Playboy. saying "remember me? "
                              Last edited by alohabear; June 6, 2007, 01:04 PM.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Getting worse.

But hopefully better. This all may be a rebellion by Michelle, conscious or subconscious.

Now she can go to Stanford and get away from her puppeteers.

Comment

Working...
                                X