The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

There was a Sci-Fi Anime film called Vexille at the last HIFF that I wanted to see but missed. Luckily, it just became available on Netflix, and I finally got a chance to see it. I wish I'd caught it at a proper theater, because it turned out to be the best Anime I've seen yet.

(Warning, the Wikipedia link contains spoilers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexille
    http://www.funimation.com/vexille

Highly recommended.

Comment

thanks for the tip; will check and see if i can fnd it here.

Originally posted by zff View Post
      There was a Sci-Fi Anime film called Vexille at the last HIFF that I wanted to see but missed. Luckily, it just became available on Netflix, and I finally got a chance to see it. I wish I'd caught it at a proper theater, because it turned out to be the best Anime I've seen yet.

(Warning, the Wikipedia link contains spoilers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vexille
      http://www.funimation.com/vexille

Highly recommended.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Oddly enough I don't remember anyone in that movie returning from a space flight.
        Well, obviously soylent green is people.

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        On the more obscure side is Equilibrium directed by Kurt Wimmer. Action, overthrow of repressive government and Christian Bale - what's not to like?
        Gun kata for the win!
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Besides the really huge blockbusters like "Star Wars" scifi movies that I have enjoyed over the years include:
          • Planet of the Apes (1968 version) - and most of the sequels
          • War of the Worlds (1953 version)
          • The Time Machine (1960)
          • Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969)
          • THX 1138 (1970)
          • A.I. (2001)
          • Fahrenheit 451 (1966)
          • Logan's Run (1976)
          • Contact (1997)
          • The Andromeda Strain (1971)
          • Colossus The Forbin Project (1969?)
          • Soylent Green (1973)
          • Silent Running (1972)
          • Angry Red Planet (1960)
          • Forbidden Planet (1956)
          • Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
          • Planet of Blood (1965)
          • Blade Runner (1982)
          • All of the Star Trek series (various years)

This is just a partial list. I'd have to look at my DVD collection to see what else I remember... Some of the above movies are well known, a few tacky old clunkers thrown in, I am sure there are more.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            If you haven't seen Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman in Gattaca, check it out. I really, really, really like it, and I plan to show it to my senior English class. In addition to some really good performances, there's a lot to discuss here about science and moral dilemma. Also, this film is rich with visual symbolism, like in a scene where one character, who cannot walk, is pulling himself up a spiral staircase that looks like a double helix. Good stuff.
            I've always thought of Gattaca as being sort of a rip-off of Isaac Asimov's Profession, which also dwells on the idea of a futuristic society that is divided between the genetically gifted "haves" and the "have-nots" who are isolated as outcasts.

My top 5 sci-fi flicks are:

1) 2001
            2) The Martian Chronicles (TV mini-series)
            3) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both 1956 and '78 versions)
            4) Alien
            5) Contact
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

perfect! this is what i've been hoping for: stumbling upon something that i haven't seen before and it sounds great! (martian chronicles). i think i've seen everything else. thanks for the tip!
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

A recent scifi mini-series that not too many people may have seen is Steven Speilberg presents Taken which aired in 10 parts on the SciFi channel in 2002.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A couple of recent movies makes reference to portals as a minor plot element in their stories. One is a time transit portal and the other is an interdimesonal portal.

Comment

Movies that used a time transit portal or general storyline:
                    • Back to the Future (and its sequels)
                    • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
                    • Somewhere in Time - don't look at that penny!!!!!!!
                    • Star Trek First Contact
                    • The Time Machine (both versions)

Inter-dimensional: I'm not sure about all of these but here goes...
                    • Dune
                    • The Fifth Element
                    • Stargate
                    • Contact

Anyone care to add to this list, go ahead.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

You missed the greatest time travel movie of all, "The Final Countdown", starring the USS Nimitz!

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        Movies that used a time transit portal or general storyline:
                        • Back to the Future (and its sequels)
                        • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
                        • Somewhere in Time - don't look at that penny!!!!!!!
                        • Star Trek First Contact
                        • The Time Machine (both versions)
                        Star Trek Generations would certainly have to be added to that list. In fact, out of all the Star Trek adventures, it had the most convoluted story dealing with time travel and alternate realities.

One very underrated movie that falls in this time portal vein is Frequency. Imagine talking to someone from 30 years ago via ham radio and altering the timeline in the process. And if you happen to be a New York Mets fan, I can almost guarantee that you'll love this movie.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Inter-dimensional: I'm not sure about all of these but
                          • Dune
                          • The Fifth Element
                          • Stargate
                          • Contact

The portals used in the movies above transit space not other dimensions, like Sliders or some episodes of Stargate SG-1.

Comment

OK... yes, I love The Final Countdown. Wasn't top of mind because I don't have the DVD. I always wanted to see an alternate ending to this where the USS Nimitz actually do change history... of course that would have been a scifi story in and of itself. Great one.

As for the interdimensional ones, well, yeah I guess they folded space or whatever to get to another part faster like in Dune. I can't think of any that went to another dimension except for perhaps, the Twilight Zone TV series with Rod Serling.

And FM, yes, I agree I missed Star Trek Generations. Forgot that Kirk and Picard went into a different dimension.

Are there any other movies fitting into these?
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I always wanted to see an alternate ending to this where the USS Nimitz actually do change history... of course that would have been a scifi story in and of itself. Great one.
                              I loved that movie as a kid, Mel. I haven't re-watched it as an adult, but I probably would still enjoy it.

I wonder how effective the Nimitz really would have been, if she had stayed. So let's geek out a bit and play armchair admirals.

1) Preventing the Pearl Harbor attack

IIRC they spotted the Japanese attack as it was inbound to Pearl Harbor?

It seems very inefficient to throw ~48 jet fighters w/ missiles against 353 propeller planes. Like trying to kill flies with a sledge hammer. Maybe they wouldn't need to destroy all the planes. Shoot a few down and freak the rest out, making them waste fuel and drop their bombs early. I suppose it would depend on the discipline of the Japanese pilots. I wonder if the sonic boom of a jet fighter would be enough to shake WW2 planes out of the sky.

Another option would be to warn Pearl Harbor, but it's doubtful commanders there would believe radio transmissions from an unknown source. So perhaps the Nimitz would send a message which couldn't be ignored: break the sound barrier over Pearl Harbor and drop bombs on an empty field or in the water next to the battle ships. Strafe the water with machine guns. Hopefully they'd get the hint and be ready for the Japanese attack.

2) Ending WW2 earlier

Our military doesn't have stand alone weapons, we have weapon systems. It's not just a carrier, but a carrier strike group. Without a supply infrastructure to support the carrier, the Nimitz would be combat ineffective.

The Nimitz is nuclear, so she's good to go. Fuel for her jet fighters is more problematic. No clue if her birds can guzzle anything produced during WW2. They could save fuel and keep most of the planes grounded, relying instead on WW2 carriers for air cover. In fact, the most useful weapon on the Nimitz is probably her radar and AWACs planes who can find enemy ships over the horizon (I think).

I guess the main purpose of the Nimitz in WW2 would be to nuke Tokyo and Berlin? Hopefully they'd have the spare parts on board to keep the lady floating long enough. At least they had duct tape back in WW2
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Actually it was a group of 24 jets, a mixture of F-14 Tomcats which are capable of engaging 6 targets at a time and the A-6 Intruder, which I suspect was to go after the carrier themselves.

I am thinking that the Nimitz strike group would not have attacked the Japanese directly first but rather position themselves between Oahu and the Japanese strike group.

As far as the Nimitz trying to warn Pearl Harbor about the attack, they tried it but that didn't work.

For the fuel for the jets, it's mostly kerosene which would be available during the 1940's. Granted they couldn't simply fuel up the jets right away but given a decent sample of aviation fuel and some time the oil industry of the 1940's would have been able to supply additional fuel for the jets.

Weapons for the jets might be a problem. Cannon shells would pose little or no problems. Free fall bombs could be adapted on the A-6 and A-7. Don't know about the air to air missiles. The electronics for them or to make them didn't exist then.

Comment

Working...
                                X