Shark Week 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark Week 2009

The Discovery Channel launched 'Shark Week' 2009 today.

Any favorite shows in the ongoing series or personal experiences encountering sharks (preferably in Hawaiian waters) you'd like to share?

So far from what I've seen, there's a lot of sensationalism for the sake of entertainment and tv ratings, yet mixed with some interesting scientific research which seems valid and worth considering in a life-or-death ordeal with a shark.
    Last edited by Pomai; August 2, 2009, 08:25 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Shark Week 2009

I haven't watched anything yet, but my DVR is set to record several programs this week. I get really geeked out over Shark Week. I love it! A poster at another board I visit has in her signature line "Live every week like it's Shark Week."

Can't wait until the end of the week when I'll have time to watch my recordings.
    Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

I overheard a program today while I was baking. Apparently baby hammerhead sharks live in/around Kaneohe Bay. And they can smell prey, so even if you sit completely still, it's like being out in the open. Never knew that. It sounded like there is some kind of research center out there, but I could've heard wrong.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
        I overheard a program today while I was baking. Apparently baby hammerhead sharks live in/around Kaneohe Bay. And they can smell prey, so even if you sit completely still, it's like being out in the open. Never knew that. It sounded like there is some kind of research center out there, but I could've heard wrong.
        Kaneohe Bay is a breeding ground for hamerheads. The babies are cute! I see them all the time in the marina where I keep my boat, and I've even seen 8' hammerheads in there a couple of times. Sometimes they swim up the streams a ways, too.
        They are most common around Chinaman's Hat and also at Coconut Island, which is the home of UH's Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology (the research center you mentioned).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I watched most of the one yesterday where the guy was learning how to do "tonic" on sharks. It was pretty interesting.

Comment

Take your shark to lunch this week. They might be tired of the seafood buffet.

Comment

Working...
            X