30 years since Lennon died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 years since Lennon died!

30 years ago I went to Ala Moana Beach Park for the candlelit vigil honoring John Lennon. There were lots of us, singing songs, sharing stories, etc...

What were you doing?

http://news.ph.msn.com/top-stories/a...mentid=4510221
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: 30 years since Lennon died!

I was on the air that night, and had to make the sad announcement. As I was hosting a jazz show that night, I pulled out all the jazz versions of Beatle tunes I could find. I still have the original AP bulletin printouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      I was on the air that night, and had to make the sad announcement.
      Were you already in Seattle then, Leo?
      I was on the air that day too, as News Director at KPPC/KROQ in Los Angeles.
      I'd actually met Lennon a couple of years before that. The Beatles were in L.A., and John and Ringo had gone out cruising in a limo, mostly so they could enjoy some herb, which Paul and George had quit doing. John and Ringo had been channel surfing on the limo's radio, liked what they heard on ours, and dropped in unannounced and stayed for about an hour. Great fun!
      My saddest memory was having to announce Jim Croce's death, just two days after I'd interviewed him in person in our studio.

I still have the original AP bulletin printouts.
      Printouts. Hah! That shows that it really was 30 years ago! We too had the AP and UPI wires (UPI was the leader back in the day).

R.I.P., John.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Bob Sevey's voice appeared on the CBS Evening news the following day as they were trying to learn more about Mark David Chapman. They showed the apartment he lived at, explained he was a security guard, etc.

Chapman's gun was purchased here in town.

There was a big local press conference with Chapman's wife shortly after Lennon's death, gather national press attended too.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Were you already in Seattle then, Leo?
          No, at that point I was a nighttime jazz dj at KCCK in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; didn't get to Seattle until 1984.

Comment

I was watching Monday Night Football when channel 4 had a crawler at the bottom of the screen about John Lennon was shot and killed. Monday Night Football was a delayed broadcast, so I watched until Howard Cosell made the announcement that John Lennon died. There wasn't a CNN station yet for updates.

Comment

Yes, I remember when it happened. I was a little kid and remember watching the news coverage of the gathering in Central Park. Every year since then, I always remember the anniversary.
              Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

I was in the military.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X