Super Bowl XLV: Packers vs Steelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Bowl XLV: Packers vs Steelers

This matchup doesn't need any hype. The Packers and Steelers are organizations cut from out of the same cloth, in many ways. Both of them have histories going back to the early years of the NFL. (GB in 1921, Pitt in 1933.) They hail from blue-collar cities, with intensely loyal fanbases. We're not talking about fair-weather fans here, ala UH supporters.

The Packers are now giving 3 points, with an o/u at 46. With the tremendous defenses both sides have, I don't think that o/u will be exceeded, even in a domed environment.
    Green Bay Packers
    63.64%
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    36.36%

The poll is expired.

This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Super Bowl XLV: Packers vs Steelers

I'm not ready to make my pick, but I wouldn't be so quick to take the under. The Packers are going to have to throw, even when they're ahead, because they don't have a running game. This means the possibility of at least one defensive score, and two defensive scores wouldn't be out of the question.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Curtain will close tight on GB at over 2 TDs.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

GB has a faster team on a speed turf in Dallas. It might be similiar to the GB vs. Atlanta playoff game.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          This matchup doesn't need any hype. The Packers and Steelers are organizations cut from out of the same cloth, in many ways. Both of them have histories going back to the early years of the NFL. (GB in 1921, Pitt in 1933.) They hail from blue-collar cities, with intensely loyal fanbases. We're not talking about fair-weather fans here, ala UH supporters.

The Packers are now giving 3 points, with an o/u at 46. With the tremendous defenses both sides have, I don't think that o/u will be exceeded, even in a domed environment.
          Classic Football!!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You're right, Craig. This is a classic matchup. And a tough pick.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...inute/23945282

What? No cheerleaders in Dallas stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I'm not ready to make my pick, but I wouldn't be so quick to take the under. The Packers are going to have to throw, even when they're ahead, because they don't have a running game.
                No running game for GB? Better read up on James Starks, a real-life football version of Roy Hobbs, if ever there was one. An unheralded 6th round pick whose senior season in college was wiped out by injury, Starks has come on like gangbusters in the playoffs. Brace yourself. Starks has nearly 100 more rushing yards in the postseason than the Steelers' leading back (Rashard Mendenhall).

Pittsburgh was the league's #2 defense this past year. They present the toughest challenge Aaron Rodgers has faced thus far. Tougher than even the Bears' D. If GB's hopes rest on their passing game singlehandedly winning them the game,..... then I think they're in trouble. They've got to hope that Starks continues his dazzling postseason performance in order to defuse Pittburgh's blitzing package, which in turn will give Rodgers and his receivers more time to do their thing.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Ahhhh yesssss. Good morning.

On this, the holiest of holy days.
                  The greatest single holiday of the year.
                  Sorta like Christmas times 4th of July raised to the power of Halloween.

SUPER BOWL SUNDAY !!!!!

God IS a football fan. That's why he rested on Sunday. Can I get an AMEN !!!!

GO PACKERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Steelers 27, Packers 20.

MVP: Rashard Mendenhall
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't care much for cheese. My TV is broken.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Curly Lambeau and Don Hutson.

Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr.

Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre.

Today, Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers will be joining their company in Titletown, USA.

GO PACKERS GO!!!!!

Comment

21-10 Green Bay at the half. I'm still waiting for the David Letterman commercial.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Pittsburgh lost it because of their three turnovers, two of which led to touchdowns by the Packers. I wonder how popular Ben Roethlisberger is going to be now.
                            Aaron Rodgers was great, especially given the fact that 5 major passes were dropped by the receivers. Not Aaron's fault.
                            Great game. In the first half it looked like it was going to be a Green Bay runaway, so I'm glad Pittsburgh made a comeback and kept it close all the way to the end.
                            As for the broadcast itself... pfffffbt.
                            Christina Aguilera didn't do very good with the National Anthem, especially when she screwed up the words.
                            Fox kept saying the halftime show would be the best ever. Wrong. It was so-so, with the Black Eyed Peas all singing off key except for will.i.am. Fergie was waaay flat in her singing. And whoever was mixing the audio should be fired; the balance was horrible. The drop-ins by Slash and Usher were okay but again the audio was awful and you could barely hear them.
                            As for the commercials... pffffbt again.
                            No, Scriv, I never saw a Letterman spot either. Didn't know there was going to be one. Overall, the commercials were big disappointments. The only one that got me to grin slightly was Joan Rivers being the new GoDaddy.com girl. By far the best commercial was the NFL's own spot at the start of the fourth quarter, featuring all the very old TV show actors and some animation.
                            The worst one was the Doritos spot in the first quarter. Some guy was eating some and had orange chips on his fingers, and another guy grabbed his hand and started sucking on the other guys fingers. Then the first guy wiped his hands on his pants and got some orange crumbs them and the second guy pulled off his pants and sucked the crumbs off of them.
                            Supposedly all the ads will be posted on foxsports.com/ads soon.

Great game, crappy broadcast and crappy ads.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Good game; I was disappointed with the result. Actually, no. I didn't really care about the result. I just wanted to be right.

I agree: The NFL Greatest Fans montage was the best.

And it occurred to me that there was no Letterman spot because it was on Fox this year, instead of CBS like the previous two. It's too bad Fox couldn't find some way to hype one of its own shows with the Letterman-Oprah couch gimmick. I'll bet they'd have been game.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X