Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Ali`i

Default Paranormal Activity

Watched the movie Paranormal Activity at the Ward Theater this evening.

It is about a engaged couple living in San Diego who are visited by an invisible entity when they are sleeping. One member of the couple sets up a digital video camera to record the events when they are sleeping. All of the movie is shown from this camera's point of view. There are times when this movie is boring but it is offset by its "things that go bump in the night" mode which happens in the later part of the movie.
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Paranormal Activity

Sounds like an interesting show. Haven't seen it yet, I'd better check it out.

Lately shows on paranormal are getting more realistic and less sensational - hope this continues that trend.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Ali`i

This 'movie' was made for 15 Gs and has grossed well over 40 mil in it's 1st week.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Ali`i

This sounds like the movie version of the Scyfy series Ghost Hunters.
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
This sounds like the movie version of the Scyfy series Ghost Hunters.
Except that there's no ghosts in the movie. Not a single one.

Of course, there's something much more diabolical and terrifying. What that is... you'll have to see the film.

If you enjoyed the first Blair Witch Project, then you'll love this flick. As Ron pointed out, the film was made on a shoestring budget. No CGI. No SPFX. No elaborate make-up. And Paranormal Activity is all the better for it. Definitely a psychological horror. The scariest things in the movie are what you don't see.

OTOH, if you're the type of moviegoer who needs to see blood, gore, and violence in order to get your goosebumps, then don't bother with this. Just as Blair Witch didn't appeal to everyone, so too will Paranormal not be appreciated by those who expect a slasher flick. Save your money and go watch Halloween II instead. But to those of you with a powerful sense of imagination, then Paranormal Activity is highly recommended.
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Ali`i

Why is it that everytime in these reality shows (Ghost Hunters) when a person is frightened, the cameraman points the camera at the scared host, blinding him with the camera lights...instead of pointing at the supposed entity? And why doesn't the scared host tell the cameraman, "OVER THERE STUPID DON'T POINT IT AT ME...OVER THERE!!!" And by then the entity is gone.
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Ali`i

This movie is not slasher film, almost no gore, 4 characters and 1 spider (which provides one of the movie's humorous scenes). There is very little shaking camera movement scenes, most of the time the camera is mounted on a tripod.

I think this movie is best seen in the presence of a lot of people since it is the audience's reaction that makes this movie worthwhile to see.

Last edited by helen; November 8th, 2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: corrected a word
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
This movie is not slasher film, almost no gore, 4 characters and 1 spider (which provides one of the movie's humorous scenes). There is very little shaking camera movement scenes, most of the time the camera is mounted on a tripod.

I think this movie is best seen in the presence of a lot of people since it is the audenice's reaction that makes this movie worthwhile to see.
Like Rocky Horror Picture Show?

My kids want to see Paranormal Activity. I'll wait until it comes out at Kress Cinema for a buck.
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Ali`i

As to all of sudden singing a song, no, it is nothing like that. It is more like laughing at the funny scenes, making oooh, ahhs and grasp like sounds when the things happen like the bedroom door moves or a shadow like presences being shown on the bedroom door, or stuff moving on the bed.

If the kids want to go you should go with them too. It is not the best movie I ever seen, nor it is the worst.
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Ali`i

eric and i saw this movie today. we had the pleasure of seeing it in an empty theater. both eric and i are blessed with "vision," you might say, plus we are very close friends with people who do psychic readings & site cleansings for a living. therefore, neither one of us found the paranormal aspects of the film any more realistic than we would find supposedly spooky, more sanguinary cinematic fare.

for us, the film's tension is anchored upon the relationship between the boyfriend and girlfriend. the fact that the only setting is the couple's home heightens this tension. certainly, there were scenes where we wanted to throw popcorn at the screen in annoyance because of what happens within the relationship.

everyone should know that horror movies--the good ones, at least--act as cautionary tales. eric and i would say the cautionary tale here centers on what grave consequences may result when you react poorly to your loved one's being deeply troubled by something outside the relationship itself.

that said, most people who are completely unfamiliar with otherworldly experiences in real life will probably find paranormal activity quite heebs-inducing.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
No CGI. No SPFX.
from an interview with the stars of the movie:

Quote:
Micah: Every single thing thatís happening on camera in the entire movie, except for one thing, is actually happening. Itís not CGI, itís not trickery. Oren is just that good.
regarding a certain startling event at the end of the movie:

Quote:
Micah: [laughs] Iíll just tell you it was tricky, and Oren has a couple of holes in his ceiling.

Katie: He does. He has a drafty ceiling now.
having just seen the movie, eric and i are pretty sure there is use of CGI. micah sloat does not exactly say so, but i interpret the first quote as indicating there may have been.

also, given that the writer-director "has a couple holes in his ceiling," we can assume that mechanical special effects were used.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
As to all of sudden singing a song, no, it is nothing like that. It is more like laughing at the funny scenes, making oooh, ahhs and grasp like sounds when the things happen like the bedroom door moves or a shadow like presences being shown on the bedroom door, or stuff moving on the bed.

If the kids want to go you should go with them too. It is not the best movie I ever seen, nor it is the worst.
What is it rated?
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Ali`i

According to IMDb it is rated R due to the language, which now that I think about it is mostly said by the main female character (Katie is her name).
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
According to IMDb it is rated R due to the language, which now that I think about it is mostly said by the main female character (Katie is her name).
No Sh*t!!!?
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Ali`i

mr. watanabe, given what you've said in the past about your relationship with your wife & kids, i will guess that the thing that will stay with you about this movie (should you choose to see it) will have nothing to do with any paranormal activity. i'd dare say the dominant emotion this movie will inspire for you would be frustration and irritation.

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
eric and i saw this movie today. we had the pleasure of seeing it in an empty theater. both eric and i are blessed with "vision," you might say, plus we are very close friends with people who do psychic readings & site cleansings for a living. therefore, neither one of us found the paranormal aspects of the film any more realistic than we would find supposedly spooky, more sanguinary cinematic fare.

for us, the film's tension is anchored upon the relationship between the boyfriend and girlfriend. the fact that the only setting is the couple's home heightens this tension. certainly, there were scenes where we wanted to throw popcorn at the screen in annoyance because of what happens within the relationship.

everyone should know that horror movies--the good ones, at least--act as cautionary tales. eric and i would say the cautionary tale here centers on what grave consequences may result when you react poorly to your loved one's being deeply troubled by something outside the relationship itself.

that said, most people who are completely unfamiliar with otherworldly experiences in real life will probably find paranormal activity quite heebs-inducing.
really? so are some people in my family. I was the only person in my family who went to go see this film, because everything was too realistic for the rest of them.

flickr
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
really? so are some people in my family. I was the only person in my family who went to go see this film, because everything was too realistic for the rest of them.
yes, both eric and i have had a number of encounters with otherworldy entities. we never court it; it just happens sometimes.

i'm happy to share w/you how paranormal activity didn't ring true to us in a pm if you'd like, mike. i'd rather not do it here bcs i might spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Ali`i

I would suggest you just post it you want others to discuss your views. This movie has been on for at least 4 weeks now and the reply count is more than 10. If you want to use spoiler tag for it, that's fine but just make sure you are not quoting a post as well.

Last edited by helen; November 14th, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Ali`i

i'll provide one example that is innocuous in terms of lack of spoiler. in the movie, the initial meeting with the psychic was contrived. someone with real skills wouldn't spend a lot of time asking background questions like "tell me about yourself" and "what do you do for a living."

i've had psychics tell me things they would not have any way of knowing within moments of meeting me and without my giving much in explanation about myself. for example, one asked me out of the blue what the deal was with my mom and property right after i sat down and told her only my first name and gave her a personal belnging of mine to hold. at the time, my mom was househunting in portland, oregon and I was here in honolulu. another psychic announced to me that i have an older half brother on my dad's side. i was sure she was mistaken but found out three weeks later this was true. a third psychic (now my very good friend) was able to describe to me the entity bothering me at the time with no prompting or my providing any clues as to what it looked like. she did this over the phone while she was at her house and i was at mine.

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Ali`i

Have you thought about the possiblity that the psychic guy in this movie could have been a fake psychic guy? I can't remember who initially called him but who's to say that they did do a background check on the psychic guy?
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ali`i

Cool Re: Paranormal Activity

cynsaligia
both eric and i are blessed with "vision," you might say, plus we are very close friends with people who do psychic readings & site cleansings for a living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post

Looks like there's a few of us here.
Actually, I like movies that are more realistic concerning the "paranormal" (which I consider as normal as anything else - it's just not everyone experiences it.) rather than those which sensationalize and horrify it.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Have you thought about the possiblity that the psychic guy in this movie could have been a fake psychic guy? I can't remember who initially called him but who's to say that they did do a background check on the psychic guy?
no. what would be the point of bothering w/a fake psychic in this film? what would that accomplish?

Old November 15th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Ali`i

I have no background in psychics but I do know that not everyone has the same abilities, skill sets or experiences. I grant you this person didn't live up to your expectation of what a psychic could do. Maybe he was a fake or maybe he was one that didn't have the experinces needed to deal with the problem that Micah and Katie had, in fact he did recommend to them to contact someone else who had the experience.

Last edited by helen; November 15th, 2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Ali`i

maybe so, helen. bottom line for me is that character and that scene was poorly conceived.