Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Print Media
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Thanks, guys.
And Gene, nice to see you back here at HT. Seems like it's been a couple of years. Enjoying your work?
Buzz, always nice to see you when you can pop in! I really enjoy your blog, too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Kanaka

It's been a few years! The likes of Twitter have pulled me away from good old fashioned message boards.

I remember when I signed up in 2006, but didn't start posting until 2007 when I was heartbroken and wanting to reach out to more people. It doesn't seem that long ago, certainly not four years ago!

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Ali`i

Nothing against the SA, but since I usually get the newspaper free in the company lunch room, if I pay for on-line news, I'm more likely to pay for Civil Beat then for SA. More to promote competition and broaden my sources then anything else.
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:54 PM

The latest on the Starvatiser's plan to charge for online content:

Quote:
The Honolulu Star-Advertiser will begin charging for premium online content Aug. 3, joining an industry trend that has accelerated since the beginning of the year.

Beginning Aug. 3, others can subscribe for $19.95 a month to an all-access package, which includes the print edition and the premium online content. Readers who want to forgo the print edition or live outside of the newspaper's delivery area will be offered special rates to digital-only premium content on a daily, monthly or annual basis.

Nonsubscribers still will have free digital access to several areas, including breaking news, Associated Press stories, the website's front page and section fronts, event calendars, Ho*nolulu Pulse, TGIF, photo galleries, blogs, classifieds, travel, obituaries and traffic...
THE COMPLETE ARTICLE AT THIS LINK

Well there are other free sources of news content. I probably won't be reading the Starvatiser much after they go into this tiered, pay for content system.

Look at Civil Beat. They were mostly pay per view, but have since opened a lot of their content to free viewing.

Blogs and other sites also offer free content, much of which are not covered by mainstream media such as the Starvatiser.

Lastly, links from the Starvatiser and their previous papers will probably more than likely break - which is bad for bloggers who have used them as well as many links to this board.

I ain't spending my money on this. Next...
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Haumana

Looks like it is time to drop Star-Advertiser from my "favorites". Hello KITV.com & HawaiiNewsNow.com.

I like how the article said 25% of papers charge. That could also read, 75% DO NOT charge. Show me the money? Ha, Star-Advertiser, I'll show you how I never navigate to your website again.

DXer
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Ali`i

their email version of the paper has been so full of large ads that make the page skip around. when you go to another page, you get another large ad at the top. i certainly don't plan on paying $20 a month for something that i could subscribe to in hard copy for a lot less. plus, the paper is just not that great anymore anyway. there are much better sources for news around that are free.
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Well there are other free sources of news content.
Blogs and other sites also offer free content, much of which are not covered by mainstream media such as the Starvatiser.
Yes, but very few of the blogs actually cover news, and none of them do it with the kind of journalistic standards that the mainstream news tries to stick to, such as fact-checking and avoiding speculative stories. The other free sources, such as the TV news websites, tend to stick to very short pieces.

Quote:
I ain't spending my money on this.
I think I am. I can have it delivered right to my phone (or other reading device), so if the price is reasonable for the electronic-only subscription, I think I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
i certainly don't plan on paying $20 a month for something that i could subscribe to in hard copy for a lot less.
It's $8.50 per week if you buy it at the newsstand. What does the delivery subscription cost?

I'm eager to see what the pay structure looks like when it's published tomorrow. If it's reasonable and if I can squeeze it into my already-tight budget, I think I'll give it a shot. I hope someone has heard my repeated suggestion that a pay version should include a printable copy of the NYT crossword puzzle!
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Ali`i

i used to subscribe to the advertiser when they had sunday only delivery. now, with s-a, you have to take multiple days which i don't need. plus its just more to re-cycle. i'll keep reading their free content but won't pay for anything more. and i still don't need the hard copy.
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Ali`i

It's hard to get people to pay for something they got free. I remember when the network wanted a person to pay for the Olympics triplecast. Satellite radio made Howard Stern a richer man, but how many people hear what he has to say anymore.
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Another reason for me not wanting to buy (I have long ago stopped getting the paper paper) is because of their editorial slant on many issues and their outright endorsement for things such as... um... rail.

So why would I pay for a paper that doesn't support the things I like. Reading it for free is OK, but to pay for it... NO.
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Ali`i

Mel is confusing editorial opinion pieces with straight news. Why would you support a paper that doesn't like the things you like? Because if you only read what you agree with, you're not dealing with the real world.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
Mel is confusing editorial opinion pieces with straight news. Why would you support a paper that doesn't like the things you like? Because if you only read what you agree with, you're not dealing with the real world.
I know what straight news is... all the stuff that gets put on the front page and various news sections. If it bleeds it leads stuff too.

However I cannot help to think that the editor's influences beyond what they write in the editorial pages show up as bias in the main news story... subtle as it may be. For example once your paper endorses candidate A over B, I cannot help but think all news stories will put the endorsed candidate up in a better light over the one the paper does not like... which usually is the candidate that I like... especially in this town.

The endorsed candidate may get his / her picture placed above the fold or even bigger than the non-endorsed candidate.

Anyways, I think I'll get enough of a clue from what the Starvatiser is reporting by just simply continuing reading their tweets and using whatever free content is left on the website.

I would like to know if paid subscribers will continue to be bombarded with the annoying roll down banner ads, pop ups and pop unders. Those who are subscribing please report on this in the future.

I already chose with my wallet to not subscribe, like how I make a choice on everything else.
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
However I cannot help to think that the editor's influences beyond what they write in the editorial pages show up as bias in the main news story... subtle as it may be. For example once your paper endorses candidate A over B, I cannot help but think all news stories will put the endorsed candidate up in a better light over the one the paper does not like... which usually is the candidate that I like... especially in this town.

The endorsed candidate may get his / her picture placed above the fold or even bigger than the non-endorsed candidate.
Just in case you don't know, but the editorial board is completely different from the editors (say, my direct supervisor). It's a different set of staff, and the editorial board aren't even necessarily called editors. They're just part of the staff.

During elections, the newspapers (both) were very careful about picture sizes of the two leading candidates. They always made sure both would get the same amount of play and column spaces. I've seen no evidence of, say, Abercrombie getting a bigger picture than Aiona during last year's elections.

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Ali`i

Boarders bookstores ran into financial problems, and one theory is because they did not quickly deal with the trend of internet sales.

Maybe newspapers are facing the same problem of the internet blasting away at their core customer base (ie newspaper subscribers).

So, is it that newspapers need to change how they do business, or end up going out of business .... like Borders?
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by genepark View Post
Just in case you don't know, but the editorial board is completely different from the editors (say, my direct supervisor). It's a different set of staff, and the editorial board aren't even necessarily called editors. They're just part of the staff.
And that's been s.o.p. for any reputable newspaper for a very long time now - news, editorial & sales staff are separate divisions, so that there will not be a "contamination" of reporting; no influence on stories because the editorial staff endorse a candidate or issue, or because a particular company is a major purchaser of advertising. That's part of a little thing called "journalistic ethics."
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:08 PM

Ian Lind's blog site reports that there is a two tiered pricing system for the Starvatiser and that local Hawaii readers will have to pay more for content vs. the readers on the mainland.

Quote:
Yup. The S-A is quoting $9.95 a month for digital-only subscriptions for Hawaii residents, but enter a mainland zip code and discover an unadvertised price break that drops the cost to $1.95 a month or $10 for the year.
http://ilind.net/2011/07/25/star-adv...-up-next-week/

Um, how can this paper screw the locals even more!??

When they first became the Starvatisers they really whacked it to their local advertisers.. the firms that actually buy the display ads in the paper and presumably online too.

What? The ads not paying enough for the paper to keep afloat? What was that huge merger all about?

And now out of state online subscribers will pay only $1.95 a month for content while in state subscribers have to pay $9.95 or whatever it is???

Usually the kama'aina get the breaks in this state. Not so with the Starvatiser.
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Ali`i

Ten bucks per month is more $2.50 per week. I'm down.

Quote:
Um, how can this paper screw the locals even more!??
I think there is a difference between giving one group a discount and "screwing" the group that doesn't get the discount. You've made it clear that the local paper doesn't give you something worth the price it is asking. But calling it "screwing" you when you're not forced to pay its asking price is going a bit far, don't you think? Members of the military get to see movies at the theater for less than I'm paying, but I don't consider the theaters to be screwing me. Do you?

Last edited by scrivener; July 25th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Ali`i

Those lucky Mainland readers can't take advantage of anything the SA is advertising or writing about, either. And there's still a ton of free stuff available.

BTW, just entering a Mainland ZIP code isn't an end run. What matters is the ZIP on your credit card info.

Seriously, if the online ads were paying enough to support the product, you'd still have two newspapers in this town. Many towns don't have any newspapers.
When you see stuff like HawaiiReporter's story about the skull found at Pearl Harbor — a story in which basic facts are replaced by WAGs by the writer — there is a significant different in process.

Whatever it is that Mel does for a living, I'd like him to do it for all of us for free. And no whining.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Ali`i

now I'm confused - is it $19.95 per mo as reported at the beginning of this thread? or is it $9.95? for $9.95, I might consider it. Especially if they improve their website, not have so many rolling ads & pop-ups. and if they include more of the content of the print version. They have not had a good website since ZZType left!
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
now I'm confused - is it $19.95 per mo as reported at the beginning of this thread? or is it $9.95? for $9.95, I might consider it. Especially if they improve their website, not have so many rolling ads & pop-ups. and if they include more of the content of the print version. They have not had a good website since ZZType left!
It is $9.95. There is much confusion about the $20 pricetag, I think Cat Toth implied that it's $20, but that is for the subscription to the paper edition as well.

And for now, there's a $50 a year online only subscription deal, far less than $10 a month. I'm not sure how long that deal with last, but that's a LOT cheaper than even I expected it to be.

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ali`i

$19.95 is what it costs for a subscription for the hard-print copy that's home delivered (altho some folks have gotten it cheaper via special deals). If you're a print subscriber, you get the online version too. If you're online ONLY, then it's $9.95/month or $50/year.
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM

More on the PAYWALL...

http://thecatdish.com/musings/would-...r-news-online/
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
They have not had a good website since ZZType left!
Amen. I hate reading it on the web anyway. Getting a PDF-like document on my phone, however, works a lot better for me.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Ali`i

I think the question should be: What are you going to get for "premium content"? For that matter, has there been premium content since the two papers merged and it became the Star-Advertiser? What are you going to miss out on if you don't subscribe? And ultimately, is it worth it?

I wouldn't subscribe until I know what I'm going to get, and what I'm not going to get. Till then, it's wait and see.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Ali`i

i understand that if i had a mainland zip code, it would only be $1.95 per month. i'm probably going to pass on this one for now.