The Andy Bumatai Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Andy Bumatai Show

...Not to be confused with the previous NightTime with Andy Bumatai show...and the now closed thread on that subject...

New name, new format, new location, new recorded music. It's a talk show in the true sense of the word; Andy on one side of a black draped table and 3 guests discussing one topic per show on the other side. (Tonight's topic is news anchors with guests, Ron Mizutani, Diane Ako and Dan Meisenthal).

The new location is the Ing Direct building on Kalakaua. Andy? If you read this, please try to have someone control the background noise. It's so distracting.

The show is shot against a green screen with a city lights background. Dan Meisenthal's head keeps partially disappearing! And, no set decor at all. Oh well, a new show always has growing pains. This one is no exception but I'm happy to see Andy keep on keeping on.

http://www.ntphawaii.com/

Re: The Andy Bumatai Show

I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to write about this. i happened to catch Tuesday night's episode about small business. Three words: "Chroma Key, Bad". I also love Andy's work and I love to see new local productions. However, if the production quality is going to be that poor, the best thing to do is, not to do it. Wait until you have a quality product.

Did you see when they would do the wide shot (Tuesday's episode), the guest from Auntie Pasto's (sp) looked like the shrunken head dude from BeetleJuice. Andy's head (same wide shot) looked half cut off, due to the poor chroma key and bad lighting, it was chroma keying out, part of Andy's face. It looked really weird. Also when they would switch from guest to guest, close-up, with the exact same chroma key background, "eesh".

In my humble opinion with 20+ years of production experience, stop using chroma key. Black background sets can work just fine, if they are lit correctly, off the top of my head; "Charlie Rose" & "Crossfire" comes to mind. Content wise, they show has great topics and discussion. It's just the really poor production quality that is hard for me to look past and it actually distracts me from the content.

I think the show has a good chance, with strong guests, good discussion, etc. Just work on that production level and turn off the chroma key.

Aloha,
    DXer

Comment

Andy is definitely aware of the technical issues. He was watching the broadcast along with dozens of fans, live, and responding to comments via Twitter. (Which he also mentions on the show, which I find awesome.) Noise and green screen issues were the top mentions, beyond the show's content.

They're going to reconfigure the set this weekend, in fact, to try and tackle the green screen issues. It's too close, so it reflects off the guests and even the table (which is apparently a nice piece of furniture from his former hosts at INspiration, but had to be covered).

Some of his posts:
      • Yes, the problem is everything is too close to the green wall and it's reflecting on me and the guests. Hope 2 fix this weekend.
      • It won't be a new set. We're going to move it farther away from the wall so the green doesn't reflect on the guests.
      • We're going to rebuild this weekend. Big job, but yeah, really needs work.
      • We had to put a tablecloth on my Inspiration designer table because it reflected too much green. It's eating everything.
      • Yeah, and we couldn't get them [loud people at ING] to shut up.
      • This show was shot at 6:30 pm. It airs 3 hours later the same night.
      • Twitter exclusive: Secret calendar of upcoming guests. Opps forgot link. http://bit.ly/8Qgc

It was neat reading Ben Gutierrez commenting about the experiences with green screen at KITV, noting that they went back to blue after only a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        [...]*Twitter exclusive: Secret calendar of upcoming guests. Opps forgot link. http://bit.ly/8Qgc[...]
        Cool!
        Thurs. 1/15 - Gloria Estefan
        But, the big score is <drum roll, please>
        Fri. 1/23 - HT's very own...PZ

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Cool!
          Thurs. 1/15 - Gloria Estefan
          But, the big score is <drum roll, please>
          Fri. 1/23 - HT's very own...PZ
          Hi Tutusue...HAPPY NEW YEAR! Still gotta get you that toothpaste.

When the calendar turns green 1/15...it will be a good day indeed. I'll have an answer today from Tom. Otherwise, will have to scramble for an alternative. Chances are 85/15 on GE

...and I guess my secret calendar is not so secret anymore. Well, that's my live working scheduler folks and as I get the bookings I update on the fly.

BTW...the website address is http://www.theandybumataishow.com/

...it may have a few references to "NightTime"...I'm in the process of changing that this week.

Oh...and pzarquon's got his mug on the site too. That will be a techie night.

Here's my picture links that have way more photos than on the website...(from this week)

http://www.ctrlaltdel-usa.net/privat...abs/index.html

Comments on production? Auwe! Lots to be said and we're working it through. The new show is doing more with way way way way less. The crew got chopped from 21 ->>> FIVE!

Ah, such is life.

ER
          http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

The official word on GE is NO. She arrives in town next Wednesday and needs time to prep for the concert.

ER
            http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Somebody had tell him "Wot."
              And then he told the guy "Why."
              Then, get one beef.

Comment

I was wondering why they are fighting so hard to make the green screen work?
                There's so many great, free backgrounds here that you don't have to do anything to that say "we are in Hawaii".
                Why do extra work to make the show look like it could be from Phoenix?
                I tried to watch it again last night (Friday) and I only lasted about 5 min..
                You gotta be careful because first impressions are so important.
                That being said I really wish Andy & Crew the best on this, we've needed a Charlie Rose type show here for a long time.

Comment

I do a lot of green screen and it's nearly flawless (it'll hold tiny detail like hair and semi-transparent materials), but it's set up meticulously, the compositing is done in post and it's definitely not done "live".

And I saw a green screen demo at NAB done "live" with a moving camera and a CGI set but it was definitely not cheap. It's impressive as heck, tho!

Problems arise when people don't fully understand the details of the process, haven't acquired hardware and/or software that's up to the task, and don't properly prepare the set.

The green screen material and color, the lens quality, the camera's performance, exposure settings, and the color data recorded in the file format all contribute to a good start. Overlook any one detail and things can become increasingly difficult down the line.

Get it all nailed down just right and the results can be really cool.

Comment

Cool behind the scenes photos of the ING Direct set. For Chroma key to work correctly, it's not about the right hardware/software. It helps, but the main ingredient is proper "Lighting".

Here's the trick; (from the old school of production and live chroma key), you light the chroma key wall (blue/green/whatever) seperately, than the rest of the set. The lighting on the chroma key wall needs to be even, all one shade of the same color. Look at those "behind the sceen" photos, there's at least 10 different shades of green. Makes it really hard to key out all those different shades

Second trick, the talent has to be lit properly as well (it's basic lighting 101). Three words: Key, Fill & Back. Your talent needs to be lit correctly, so when they are in front of the chroma key, they look 3 dimensional. Again, going back the the "behind the scene" photos, I see a bunch of box/soft lights just flooding the set. Which in turn will make their talent look 2 dimensional in front of the chroma key.

Hope I didn't stray to far off topic. Great content, host & guests. Hang in there. Looking forward to seeing what next week's shows will look like after the "re-tooling".

Aloha,
                    DXer

Comment

Fun show tonight; radio talk with Frank Shaner, Dave Lancaster and Lanai. The background is better but, dang, that sound! Especially the sirens on Kalakaua!

Comment

I tried watching again tonight, but I couldn't handle more than five minutes. It's just too hard to watch. The green screen idea is so bad, I can't get past it. It really degrades what could otherwise be a pretty entertaining show. It's somewhat embarrassing to watch -- I get that weird feeling like when I watch a person failing miserably on stage.

And the audio is pretty bad as well. Sounds all muffled and hollow.

The other stage version was much more palatable. This one is not worth my time, I'm afraid.

Comment

Re: The Andy Bumatai Show - PZARQUON debuts!

Good constructive Green Screen comments above... Thanks.

Here are my recent on set pics
                          http://www.superman808.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1232706209

pzarquon is on TONIGHT!

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaulted_Ruler View Post
                            Good constructive Green Screen comments above... Thanks.
                            Anytime!

Here's an example of green screen: http://hawaiigoesfishing.com/videos/monterey_intro.mov

Two lights on the screen. One light on Cindy with small diffuser to simulate sunlight coming through thin vog in Kona.

The green screen material comes from EEFX.com. Easily set up. Very tough. Smooths itself out in less than an hour. And lights very evenly (less than 1/4 stop throughout).

Shot with a Sony EX1 in HD (1080p30).

Composited with After Effects using Primatte.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                              Two lights on the screen. One light on Cindy with small diffuser to simulate sunlight coming through thin vog in Kona
                              Good Vid. I haven't seen Cindy in years...when did she top heavy?

A little background on the green screen...the walls are painted green. I'll leave it at that. Wish us some success so we can score $$ and tweak the stuff everyone wants.

ER

Comment

Working...
                              X