X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toilet preps

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
    You'd rather be lolo than right... hmm.

Does anyone else find it strange being force-fed disaster preparedness doomsday scenarios by a self-described "recluse"?
    I said that I was 'becoming' a recluse....and only in relation to telling anyone about what I have, in my own home. I'm actually quite sociable and friendly, otherwise. I'm very active in my community.

Force-fed? We're all adults, in here. Since when is discussion and debate an issue to be labeled 'force-fed'? You clicked on this thread, all by yourself.

Have you considered joining in, as a reasonable element of this discussion?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Susie's Practical Preps

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      I've avoided this thread for the most part....

I lived through the aftermath of Mt. St. Helens... my wifes family lived through Kalapana...and many lost there houses.

It is the way... the way it is...

I don't think OVER stocking the common needs is the answer.

I think the standards that are set forth in the phone book are sufficient.

(Besides...what happens if your dislocated from your place such as the katrina victims were... are you going to pack around 800 lbs worth of food?)
      It IS true, that all could be lost. But that doesn't mean to say not to try. Consider it as insurance...if nothing happens, you get to eat the premiums.

What does the phone book say (I'm too far away, to look)? But, consider that the phone book was probably planned to deal with hurricanes or tsunamis, and not pandemics. There is a US government flu site, too.. flu.gov , or something like that. And the Red Cross has some good ideas, too.

Comment

Re: Toilet preps

Originally posted by helen
        Sort of but I don't consider her posts as being force-fed. However I do get the impression that the tone of the message seems like we don't know what we doing and somehow that the either the Hawaii based readers of HawaiiThreads or residents of the State of Hawaii are more like grasshoppers who live day to day instead of ants who stockpile stuff for when the time comes. I would say for the most part people here are a mixture of both styles.

Considering that hurricane season starts here in a few days it wouldn't hurt to discuss various things relating to that. For example I remember during the warning of Iniki they said you should place masking tape on your windows, during last year hurricane season that hint is no longer valid, why. I have no idea.
        I think that people the world over are pretty much the same...Hawaii, France, Romania, wherever. I never said, or meant to imply, that Locals were any different from anyone else. If anyone feels that I'm being pushy, or that I have no right to speak because I no longer live in the Aina...those are other beefs, that can be dealt with elsewhere.

I'm here because I feel a responsibility toward my home, Hawaii. I really AM Susie Misajon...and that's my maiden, local, name. If you try look in the phone book, those other Misajons, that you'll see, are my parents, siblings, cousins, aunties, and uncles. I come from a big local Ohana...do you really think that I would bring shame and dishonour upon that name?

We all live for today, nowadays. Self-sufficiency is looked upon more as a hobby or a 'greenie' lifestyle, than a real need. This bird flu is the first thing that I've ever 'freaked out' about. Maybe that's because I'm a Mom, with four kids that have only me, to count on. Maybe because of what I saw of the Katrina thing...especially the response. Maybe because of what the UN's WHO has to say. Maybe for historical purposes...the Spanish Flu, the Great Plagues. Maybe because the Bible is beginning to sound less and less like fiction. Take your pick.

Comment

If it really comes down to the sh*t hitting the fan, and a pandemic happens, and quarantine is imposed, or people are too sick or too scared to go to work...and all the rest of the 'nutcase scenarios'...there probably won't be a steady supply or electricity or water.

Unless you just happen to have a generator, and the gas to fuel it with...don't count too much, on a freezer full of food, to keep you fed. Or an all-electric kitchen, for that matter.

Water might be a big problem. How to get it, store it, and wring the last drop of it. And not just drinking water...but for showers, dishes, laundry, and dat.

Keeping one's self reasonably clean can be a morale booster, especially in times of trouble. And keeping clean can help to keep illness at bay. But, it does take water, mostly...but maybe not as much as you'd think...

You know those baby-wipes? The ones for a baby's bottom? They can be used for a 'sponge bath' type of cleaning...I believe that the US Army issues something like them, for a 'desert-shower'. Many of them come with anti-bacterial tuff impregnated into them, too, which might serve well, should you have to clean a sick person.

They tend to dry out, once opened, even with the little closable hatch, so it's a good idea to store the package upside-down. Of course, you can add a bit of clean water to the package, too (one of the main ingredients IS water).

Then, there's the portable 'sun shower'. A hang-up-able black plastic bag, with a tube and a nozzle. Fill it with cold water, and let it sit, for a while, in the sun, and it'll do you a nice, warm shower. If you have a way to get hot water, you can fill it with that, and save yourself the wait. Be sure and save the used shower water, for other uses...perhaps shower in a dishtray, or big bucket.

A washcloth, a bar of soap, and a bucket would work, too...but be sure to get off all of the soap suds....maybe two buckets,then. Hang on to the used water.

An ordinary plastic water bottle can do the trick, too. Remember to get wet, soap down, and then rinse off. Save the used water as per above.

Shared baths, just like in the 'olden days'. Or one at a time, in the same bath water...too bad for the last person in. Again, save the used water.

The best idea is a garden sprayer. The kind that you have to pump up, first, to get some pressure. A light mist feels almost like a 'real' shower, and this thing uses a surprisingly small amount of water. It might be a good idea, to buy a new one, or make sure that the one you might already have, has never been filled with anything poisonous. Need I mention, saving the used water?

By now, there may be some 'gray water' hanging around. No waste em. You can wash laundry, and after that, flush the toilet...all with the same water. Recycling, to da max. Consider stocking containers.

Comment

Have you considered getting your own Blog to Rant and Rave?

A Blog is your living room on the internet.

A Public Forum is ment to discuss with others on topics they find in common.

...just a thought.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hey, folks have their pet topics. Miulang has the Bush Administration, Susie has pandemic preparation. No one says you have to read the threads you're not interested in.

But, Susie, if you want a blog, let me know. I've been known to give a few odd personalities their own corner of the web.

Comment

Susie;

If the pandemic truly lasts 18 months, how are you going to prevent someone from taking what you carefully and methodically stored??

Some peoples preparation for disaster involves being well armed. Everything else after that evolves around how opportunistic and morally inflexible you are willing to be.

Don't get me wrong, I am always prepared for 3 weeks of iolation if I have to. Ice storms and natural disasters have taught me that. Not just losing cable, but without power for 3 weeks which means no water if you have a well.

In reality a month into a pandemic, martial law will be declared. It will take that long for FEMA to figure it out. Then you won't have to worry about my second paragraph.

But you got to figure out how to make it to that point. See second paragraph. That is going to be your biggest problem. Not toilet paper.
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  [...]But, Susie, if you want a blog, let me know. I've been known to give a few odd personalities their own corner of the web.
                  You very punny, PZ!

Comment

But, Susie, if you want a blog, let me know. I've been known to give a few odd personalities their own corner of the web.
                    Yep! I'm living proof. I'm more than ODD - I'm WEIRD!

Auntie Lynn

Have a nice day!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Preparing for disasters is one thing and I don't have an issue with this thread discussing the various things or hints to it. What I do have an issue with is the length of time the disaster runs it's course. Stocking up for a length of 2 weeks to a month is reasonable. 18 months on the other hand I don't think so. Hawaii couldn't possibility last that long without outside contact after a couple of months.

Anyway, my suggestions for disaster prepartions. Make sure you have one or two manual can openers. That way you can open cans with out the use of electric power. Stock up on plastic forks, knifes and spoons. Chopsticks wouldn't hurt and not to mention paper plates. Go with the Diamond Head brand, they tend to be sturdy than other brands.

And oh plastic cups too. You might as well buy in bulk from either Sam's Club or Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Yep! I'm living proof. I'm more than ODD - I'm WEIRD!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Have you considered getting your own Blog to Rant and Rave?

A Blog is your living room on the internet.

A Public Forum is ment to discuss with others on topics they find in common.

...just a thought.

Auntie Lynn
                          You no like discuss dis?

Comment

Hey, folks have their pet topics. Miulang has the Bush Administration, Susie has pandemic preparation. No one says you have to read the threads you're not interested in.

I have one, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                              Susie;

If the pandemic truly lasts 18 months, how are you going to prevent someone from taking what you carefully and methodically stored??

Some peoples preparation for disaster involves being well armed. Everything else after that evolves around how opportunistic and morally inflexible you are willing to be.

Don't get me wrong, I am always prepared for 3 weeks of iolation if I have to. Ice storms and natural disasters have taught me that. Not just losing cable, but without power for 3 weeks which means no water if you have a well.

In reality a month into a pandemic, martial law will be declared. It will take that long for FEMA to figure it out. Then you won't have to worry about my second paragraph.

But you got to figure out how to make it to that point. See second paragraph. That is going to be your biggest problem. Not toilet paper.
                              This is a good point. But that's not a reason to not prep. It might be a good reason to not tell anyone, about your preps, except for those that 'need to know'.

I'm not one, but there are what's called 'survivalists' out there...from what I hear, they've been practicing with guns. If you really want to learn about that, and the more intimate flu preparation details, check out CurEvents.com for all the latest.

If the flu goes pandemic, it'll be world-wide...FEMA might get left behind, in the dust. I left the US, before those guys were even born, but didn't they mess up disaster response!

Comment

Of course, if your idea of prepping for a pandemic, or anything else, is a gun and 'search, take', well...good luck to you. In a hurricane's aftermath, it might work, if you're ballsy enough. In a pandemic, you might get sick. And who will be at home, while you're out, 'hunting', to watch the kids, and to make sure that 'shoppers' don't come to you?

I HATE this pandemic watch, and all of the questions and thoughts and worries it brings to the surface!

Comment

Working...
                                X