Iron Man 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 opens on May 7, 2010. A sequel to the Iron Man movie from 2008. Rumor has it a preview for a film called Super 8 will be shown during this movie, made a thread for that for anyone who wants to discuss that preview/trailer/movie.

For this thread it's just about the Iron Man 2 movie.
    Last edited by helen; May 6, 2010, 11:55 PM.

Re: Iron Man 2

Saw Iron Man 2 at the Ward Theatre this afternoon. It sort of helps if you saw or remember the first Iron Man movie, I think the second movie takes place around six months to a year after the events of the first movie.

Overall I think this movie is more or less watching a chess match being played out with both sides trying to position themselves for the final showdown but there are times of superhero action, some light humor, a hand to hand fight scene or two and if you read Marvel comics a nod to couple of items during the movie.

There is a scene after the ending credits are done.

Comment

personally, i thought it was just okay. tony stark's behavior is, to me, repulsive. gweneth's character also didn't appeal to me. was looking forward to mickey's role and it was okay. it was good to see nick fury's character and hints of what's to come. overall, i liked kick-ass more--even with its weaknesses--because i cared more about the characters...
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

It’s not as good as the first film, but it’s better than the sequels of any comic-book superhero movie I can think of, including The Dark Knight, by just a little.

Some (very minor, in my opinion) spoilers follow.

Since I’m not so much into the action scenes as the scenes in between the action scenes, I have to say that the in-between stuff is pretty good; it’s just not as good as in the first movie. I didn’t think the first movie really developed the friendship between Tony Stark and Rhodey, so when a student of mine mentioned that Terrence Howard was going to be replaced by Don Cheadle, my response was, “So what?” I do like Don Cheadle, but I think for this role I’d rather have seen Terrence Howard. Anyway, I’m mentioning all this to say that since the relationship wasn’t well-defined in the first film, a lot of what happens in the second is kind of puzzling; you kind of have to just accept it.

I hate to say this, but it seems like the main purpose of this film was to set up several other films. I don’t have much of a problem with that, but come on. All these S.H.I.E.L.D. people are annoying and don’t really do a thing for either character development or plot advancement. And since I’m not a comic-book reader, their significance is a complete mystery to me.

Gwyneth Paltrow, though, is terrific. What does it say that Paltrow’s Pepper Potts had me almost completely unaware of Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow (whoever that is)? She looks great in every scene, and the actress’s performance is wonderful. She’s a perfect foil for Robert Downey, Jr.’s brash Tony Stark, and again: I wish my drama students could watch her. Watch her face when she’s not delivering lines and you’ll see what a thinking actor does.

When I saw the trailers, I thought for sure I was going to hate Mickey Rourke in this (the comic-booky Russian accent was a turnoff until I remembered what movie I was watching), but he’s actually quite good. And whoever that is who plays Justin Hammer is perfectly sleazy. I mean perfectly. Sniveling AND sleazy.

I’m not a big fan of War Machine. Why does a guy like Tony Stark need a sidekick? As much as I enjoy the interplay between the characters, especially when armored, I find War Machine’s very existence redundant and not very interesting.

But all things considered, this is nice, escapist fare. A fun movie, thanks almost entirely to Downey, who seems born to play this role.

A strong 7/10 (IMDb rating)
        78/100 (Criticker rating)
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
        X