Ahuimanu Drive-by Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahuimanu Drive-by Shooting

It was about 4:30 or 5 am Friday the 18th - just two houses away from me and I slept through it. My neighbor stopped by last night to tell us.

She heard three shots in front of her house and heard a car speed away. She ran outside, but they were gone. The fairly new car they park in front of their house had a bullet hole in one door. Some neighbors who were awake already heard five shots.

She called police and they came out, did a cursory glance and filled out a report. There was no attempt to recover the bullet, no investigation, no detectives. She's slightly PO'd.

Maybe I watch too much "Law & Order," but I would have expected the police to at least try to recover the bullet, which did not exit the inside door panel and should be still inside.

I know that HPD has lots of good cops, a few 'bad' (i.e., crooked, criminal) cops and a contingent of lazy cops; in general, I am appalled at the incompetence of HPD.

In this case I feel the investigating officer should have made some effort to have this followed up. I know that first response officers have to stay 'on patrol,' but someone should have followed up.

My neighbor says that on Thursday afternoon she and her husband pulled into a parking space and a 'local' (her words) man, woman and older teenager accused them of 'stealing' their parking space. The man, and the woman particularly, swore at them profusely, almost every other phrase was f-ing haole (she's Filipino), and the teenager threatened to kill them.

Talk about the aloha spirit, yeah?

My neighbors stayed cool, said we're sorry, but we were here first, and they walked away, while the man tied to get him to fight and the woman kept swearing....

Fortunately, they got the peoples' plate number, but it doesn't look like even that's going to do much good.

Welcome to Paradise.

K %(
    Last edited by Kaonohi; June 21, 2010, 09:34 AM. Reason: commas
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Ahuimanu Drive-by Shooting

They should have made a police report to keep a running record to prosecute should tat crap continue in any form.
    Things are so out of hand these day's, and HPD is limited by their numbers and resources as well as their own ineptness and lack of caring.
    Plus there's the molotav cocktail bombing in Waimanalo of a homeless guy sleeping in his car, and the now very popular hit-and-run-I'm-a-scumbag scene that now repeats itself at least weekly.
    We need a real Steve McGarrett!
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; June 21, 2010, 09:52 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

You really want or expect an investigation that would cost more than the damage done? Better to just apply for compensation from the victim's fund - Oops, that would require the victim(s) to take some action, eh?
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        You really want or expect an investigation that would cost more than the damage done? Better to just apply for compensation from the victim's fund - Oops, that would require the victim(s) to take some action, eh?
        The victims are taking action. They have contacted appropriate people for guidance. Mostly they want to feel somewhat safe. (Totally safe is impractical, of course.)

At times, the husband has to work early, so he could have been in the car; lucky he had the day off. Reckless endangerment is the least charge that could be made. The four bullets that missed the car could just as well have gone in a window and killed or injured someone.

The responding officer, when questioning the victim at the scene asked, "Did you give anyone permission to shoot your car?" Say what?

K2
        Last edited by Kaonohi; June 21, 2010, 03:58 PM.
        ~ ~

Comment

Good, what more do you want? Investigations take time - often months, sometimes years.

As for the permission stuff, that's legal boilerplate (they have to ask that now).

Comment

Sorry to hear about the crap happening in your neighborhood, Kaonohi.

I assume your neighbors told the cops about the parking space incident and the license plate number? One hopes HPD would investigate the owners.

The government seems less able to keep people safe these days.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              The responding officer, when questioning the victim at the scene asked, "Did you give anyone permission to shoot your car?" Say what?
              So all it needs is permission now to discharge firearms in Hawaii? Sign me up.

"Excuse me sir, did someone give you permission to shoot that suspect?"
              "Yes."
              "Oh, ok. Very well, then. Thanks for making my job easier."

Comment

Good, what more do you want? Investigations take time - often months, sometimes years.
                Hmmm. What would you want if YOU were the victim?

Do you approve of the police allowing perps to go around shooting guns at cars and houses in residential areas? So it's OK if someone comes and shoots at your house?

I expect due diligence from law enforcement. If all they are going to do is issue speeding citations and parking tickets - I don't need them.

If someone shoots at me, I expect them to investigate - at least at a minimum: recover the bullet, see if the people who threatened the family have a gun - at least let tem know they are suspects, now and in the future.

On TV last night Senator Hee was at the scene. The woman's brother had recovered the bullet from the door; it took 10 minutes; it is now in evidence. A policeman/detective should have recovered it. Hee agrees. I agree.

This is more than criminal property damage, this is terroristic threatening. I guess you think that's OK too?
                ~ ~

Comment

I was glad to see Hee there. This is a terrible incident and needs to be looked into as no doubt this sort of person(s) will do this again. I find it most frightening. Stay safe Kaonohi.

Comment

I've been SO dismayed at HPD inaction/disinterest in sussing out evidence that I havn't bothered with them for ages. Just a waste of time at best and at (nearly) worst they want to pin something on you for calling!
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

When I had a break-in last year as I was moving out, HPD came to the house to take a report (to which out here, WE write their reports for them, not the cop writing his own investigation).

Three of them showed up to the house. One of them said, "I've worked this area for 13 years and I didn't know this street was here."

Comment

Do you approve of the police allowing perps to go around shooting guns at cars and houses in residential areas? So it's OK if someone comes and shoots at your house?

I expect due diligence from law enforcement. If all they are going to do is issue speeding citations and parking tickets - I don't need them.

If someone shoots at me, I expect them to investigate - at least at a minimum: recover the bullet, see if the people who threatened the family have a gun - at least let tem know they are suspects, now and in the future.

On TV last night Senator Hee was at the scene. The woman's brother had recovered the bullet from the door; it took 10 minutes; it is now in evidence. A policeman/detective should have recovered it. Hee agrees. I agree.

This is more than criminal property damage, this is terroristic threatening. I guess you think that's OK too?
                        Get a grip, K. Investigations are not instantaneous. Is there any proof that the 'people who threatened the family' are responsible for the shooting? If not, there is no probable cause to even question them - that would violate their rights. I don't want the police bothering or intimidating anyone based only on someone's imagination connecting an unpleasant incident to a subsequent crime.

As for approving of of the police 'allowing' people to go around shooting at cars and houses, well really, that question is so out in left field it doesn't merit a reply.

Too bad the bullet, as evidence, has been significantly compromised by the woman's brother having 'recovered' it.
                        Last edited by salmoned; June 23, 2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Get a grip, K. Investigations are not instantaneous. Is there any proof that the 'people who threatened the family' are responsible for the shooting? If not, there is no probable cause to even question them - that would violate their rights. I don't want the police bothering or intimidating anyone based only on someone's imagination connecting an unpleasant incident to a subsequent crime.

As for approving of of the police 'allowing' people to go around shooting at cars and houses, well really, that question is so out in left field it doesn't merit a reply.

Too bad the bullet, as evidence, has been significantly compromised by the woman's brother having 'recovered' it.
                          Neither I nor the victims expect investigations to be "instantaneous," and no one asked for that. We do expect an investigation within a reasonable time frame however, and some assurance whether or not an investigation will even be commenced. From all indications by the initial investigating officer there was nothing more to be expected; three days passed without any additional contact from authorities.

As far as your "left field" comment, I quote Edmund Burke:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

In other words, if you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem. If the police don't try to prevent or prosecute crime, they inadvertently promote and encourage it.

I understand that probable cause is necessary for some investigations. Two adults attesting to death threats is probably sufficient. I've been questioned numerous times by police when I thought there was no probable cause... maybe I should sue?

I am told that the evidence of the bullet has not been compromised. Its recovery was witnessed by a public official and no damage ensued from the recovery. No fingerprints to dust for, the lands & grooves were damaged by contact with the car's metal arts - caliber and composition is about all that's left.

It's pretty obvious that you and I are on way opposite points of view on this issue, likely because of our disparate experiences with the subject. Before this devolves into a mud-slinging fest let me say that I can appreciate many of your points, but I'm feeling as if I'm being approached in a deprecating manner, as if I'm some kind of idiot. ("Get a grip?" "doesn't merit a reply?" Whether or not that is your intention I don't know, but I'm not going to react to that, and rather just deal with the facts as I know them.

That said, I do appreciate your input and your point of view.

K
                          ~ ~

Comment

We do expect an investigation within a reasonable time frame however, and some assurance whether or not an investigation will even be commenced.
                            I had the same problem at a property I managed here on the windward side. There had been a burglary and I had made printouts of the security camera images showing the perpetartors face and another one of his vehicle entering the property, with five of the six digits on the license plate clearly visible.
                            The cop who responded to the burglary call didn't even want to see the pictures; he didn't write down the information; and he didn't want to take the pictures with him and/or attach them to the report.
                            Needless to say, the perp was never caught.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              I had the same problem at a property I managed here on the windward side. There had been a burglary and I had made printouts of the security camera images showing the perpetartors face and another one of his vehicle entering the property, with five of the six digits on the license plate clearly visible.
                              The cop who responded to the burglary call didn't even want to see the pictures; he didn't write down the information; and he didn't want to take the pictures with him and/or attach them to the report.
                              Needless to say, the perp was never caught.
                              I know that in some very few instances it's a case of the cop knowing the perp., but in this case he didn't even want to see them....

It could have been an easy collar - I don't know how HPD decides what to pursue or not - but with stuff like this they sure aren't endearing the public.

A recent spate of burgularies in the Windward area were reported, and one of the participants came clean and turned in his accomplices - still no arrests, no return of property.

Doesn't make one feel very safe.

(K)
                              ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X