Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Wreath Thief

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    The question is what market is he intending to target?
    Don't know what you mean by that.

You think Myles Breiner took on this case to attract similar clients? (i.e. habitual criminals who can't afford a lawyer, but has a sad story to tell?)

Gecko, if those are the kind of people Breiner wants to help, he should have just been a public defender.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The question is what market is he intending to target?
      Publicity for himself and his practice, most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Don't know what you mean by that.

You think Myles Breiner took on this case to attract similar clients? (i.e. habitual criminals who can't afford a lawyer, but has a sad story to tell?)
        I think they can scrape up some money when their freedom is on the line. People are rather addicted to freedom.

Gecko, if those are the kind of people Breiner wants to help, he should have just been a public defender.
        That's one route, but not the only one. Next time I see one of my lawyer friends, I'll ask. They may have some insight.

Comment

I agree with Leo. The guy did it for the publicity. The incriminating camera footage was broadcasted on KHON and was generating a lot of comments online, as well as tips to HPD. When the shoplifters called Breiner for help/advice, he probably saw this as a golden opportunity to make a name for himself on the news as some kind of champion for the underdog. Trouble with that plan now is,... people know those shoplifters weren't stealing to put gifts underneath the Xmas tree for their kids. Breiner won't be defending clients who can be portrayed as modern day Jean Valjeans. They're part of a shoplifting ring facing felony theft charges.

I mean, c'mon! 20 toys are still missing from the Toys R Us inventory? If by some remote chance they're telling the truth and they were all gifts for their kids, then there should be no problem giving those items back. But my hunch is,.... they won't be able to. The missing toys have already been sold. Opps! So much for the "single moms who didn't want to spoil Xmas for their children" defense.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I agree with Leo. The guy did it for the publicity. The incriminating camera footage was broadcasted on KHON and was generating a lot of comments online, as well as tips to HPD. When the shoplifters called Breiner for help/advice, he probably saw this as a golden opportunity to make a name for himself on the news as some kind of champion for the underdog. Trouble with that plan now is,... people know those shoplifters weren't stealing to put gifts underneath the Xmas tree for their kids. Breiner won't be defending clients who can be portrayed as modern day Jean Valjeans. They're part of a shoplifting ring facing felony theft charges.
            We all agree it's for the publicity. Where we disagree is how he felt about his clients when he took the case.

Looking at his site, he's no stranger to publicity, nor defending guilty people. I don't think he's been surprised at all.

Comment

Where we disagree is how he felt about his clients when he took the case.
              I think you and Frankie both know that most attorneys work on cases that they think they can win, that their personal feelings about the clients are not really a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                I think you and Frankie both know that most attorneys work on cases that they think they can win
                Define "win" in this situation? Reduced sentence?

Comment

Define "win" in this situation? Reduced sentence?
                  Yeah, that would do it. Leave it up to public opinion, and the clients will be excoriated; if he can get them something considerably less than the maximum punishment, that plus getting his name in the press again, is likely of value to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    I think you and Frankie both know that most attorneys work on cases that they think they can win, that their personal feelings about the clients are not really a factor.
                    True for the most part. But you better believe there are cases when attorneys have been left looking foolish by clients who provide false/misleading affidavits, which are later exposed during an investigation. This is true for defense attorneys, as well as prosecutors who have been duped by "defendants-turned-witness" who are discovered to be non-credible.

Comment

Working...
                    X