Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thiefs and thefts during the Christmas 2011 holiday

Auwe!

"A little more than a week before Christmas a couple stole our Christmas wreath out of our elevator at Prudential Locations and Side Street Inn. Do you know who they are?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYm2IIar7E

Re: Christmas Wreath Thief

This video has gone somewhat viral with the local news stations posting it on their Facebook pages. If/when caught it'll be interesting to hear the woman's excuse..."I was just testing to see if the camera's were working and security was paying attention."!

Comment

What really struck me about that video is how that lady didn't have any compunction over what she had done. She just strolled into that elevator, looked at the wreath, and casually took it like it was nothing.

Sad, but it is no longer uncommon to hear stories about people having their Christmas decorations getting swiped by thieves.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        What really struck me about that video is how that lady didn't have any compunction over what she had done. She just strolled into that elevator, looked at the wreath, and casually took it like it was nothing.
        What gets me is the smug look on her face. I hope at least she gets shunned by her friends.

Comment

Some jerk broke into the Salvation Army Thrift Shop in Hilo and stole around $50 from the donation kettles.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
            Auwe!

"A little more than a week before Christmas a couple stole our Christmas wreath out of our elevator at Prudential Locations and Side Street Inn.
            "Prudential is taking it in stride and is not filing a police report."
            Now that's the Christmas Spirit though it may be displaced. IMO
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

she doesn't look like she was "stealing" the wreath - more like she was taking back something. I certainly could be wrong but I've watched the video a few times now and she looks too relaxed about it - just gets on the elevator, takes the wreath and then gets off - all the time smiling. Usually theives are a litte more furtive than that. She doesn't seem to have conversation with the guy or anything and just keeps smiling. or else she is just a really, really BOLD thief
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                she doesn't look like she was "stealing" the wreath - more like she was taking back something.
                That's what it looks like. But if it was her's I'd think someone would recognize who it was and wouldn't have filed a report. Also, once the video got out, there'd be some damage control if it was supposed to go with her.

Comment

unless she was a vendor not a tenant of the building? like a florist or something like that? I'm not trying to excuse her but somehow she just doesn't seem to be stealing the wreath - at least judging by her "body language". but since I know absolutely nothing about the building or her, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut?
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

As the KHON news report confirms, the wreath was definitely stolen by that lady. So there's no need for any speculation about whether a theft had taken place or not.

Earlier, I was confounded by how she seemed to have brazenly taken the wreath off the elevator wall with no hesitation. Now that I think about it further, she likely noticed the wreath sometime earlier and prior to exiting the building, she planned to swipe it on her way out if opportunity allowed. And it did.

When she smiled at her companion in the elevator, she could have been thinking/saying something along the lines of being so clever at saving herself some $$$$ taking the building's wreath instead of buying one at the store.

Another interesting observation: Look at the man who entered the elevator following the theft. Judging by his work apron and tool belt, he's the maintenance guy. (Perhaps he is the guy who installed the wreath.) His startled expression when he sees the now wreath-less wall says it all. Right away, he knows something is wrong and he realizes that couple pulled a fast one. But by the time he comes to that realization, the elevator has already started up and it is too late for him to catch them.

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    "Prudential is taking it in stride and is not filing a police report."
                    Now that's the Christmas Spirit though it may be displaced. IMO
                    Who knows? Maybe the thief is a customer of one of the business tenants, and the building's management decided that it wasn't worth it to pursue criminal charges against her over something that isn't of high value. Maybe they decided that the embarrassment of being "caught in the act" and having that video broadcasted on the local newscast and on YouTube is punishment enough for her.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      unless she was a vendor not a tenant of the building? like a florist or something like that? I'm not trying to excuse her but somehow she just doesn't seem to be stealing the wreath - at least judging by her "body language".
                      If she's entitled to the wreath, then all is good and distributing the video was a mistake. If she's not entitled to it, then her body language is all the more galling. She certainly seems to think she's entitled.

But the news reports indicate that she wasn't entitled to it.

I agree with FM. I think she decided previously to take it. There's no obvious hesitation or decision process on her part. She goes for it.

Comment

well, whatever - its an interesting scenario.
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          ... brazenly...
                          Who knows? Maybe the thief is a customer of one of the business tenants, and the building's management decided that it wasn't worth it to pursue criminal charges against her over something that isn't of high value. Maybe they decided that the embarrassment of being "caught in the act" and having that video broadcasted on the local newscast and on YouTube is punishment enough for her.
                          Oh course a customer of the establishment... minimal value of theft... public seeing it, backlash, etc. Guess that's enough right?
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                            Oh course a customer of the establishment... minimal value of theft... public seeing it, backlash, etc. Guess that's enough right?
                            Pretty much.

The Prudential executive interviewed by KHON had this to say:

"You're caught up in the moment, had a nice dinner, see the wreath and think oh well, why not? no one could be watching. Unfortunately we actually were watching."
                            Clearly, the implication is that the couple were patrons of Side Street Inn. And if they were regulars there, then no question they could have been ID'ed and prosecuted, if Prudential wanted to press charges. But what would have been the result? Probably a misdemeanor charge, at most.

No, the far bigger punishment for those thieves was publicly releasing the surveillance footage. I'm sure that employees of Side Street Inn will recognize the couple. Do you think they'll ever be able to show their faces at that restaurant again?

And what about that lady's friends, neighbors, co-workers, and associates? No doubt many of them have gotten wind of this story. Think about the shame and embarrassment she has brought upon herself and her family members.
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 25, 2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Notice that the maintenance guy, the moment he realizes what's happened, tries to reopen the elevator door but the elevator is already into its cycle.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X