Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Control

Sports announcer Bob Costas had the courage to tell the truth on national television about gun control.

Strict gun control should be near the top of Obama's agenda in his second term. I will not be intimidated by the NRA and their paranoid members.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Gun Control

Costas blew it. elRushbutt and other conjobs managed against all odds to get the correct angle on this by stating the obvious, he could and would have done his nasty deeds in some other form had a gun not been available.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      he could and would have done his nasty deeds in some other form had a gun not been available.
      And what does that have to do with gun control?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Maybe more than gun control will have on the problem.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          he could and would have done his nasty deeds in some other form had a gun not been available.
          If that were true, it would mean that stricter gun control laws would not make such deeds less frequent. However, we ought to be cautious about accepting that it's true just because somebody says it. I heard just this morning on MSNBC a discussion of the relation between gun ownership and violence against women. The murder rate of women in households with a gun present was said to be 25 times the rate in households without a gun present.
          Greg

Comment

Perhaps an important approach to having a respect for safe gun ownership would be to stop the glamorization of gun battles in the movies. How many of the folks who promote gun control (meaning in this case, limiting or eliminating gun ownership) are eagerly in the ticket line to see a movie where it is predictable to have at least one gun murder, or gun battle, or full out shoot-em-up-car-chase? How can someone want gun control, while at the same time, support with their pocketbook the movie-making that has tremendous gun violence?
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              How can someone want gun control, while at the same time, support with their pocketbook the movie-making that has tremendous gun violence?
              Possibly someone who can distinguish between fiction and reality?
              Greg

Comment

What do you mean by gun control?

Do you want to ban private ownership of guns? Repeal the Second Amendment? Bow to UN control of America's laws? What is your goal?

A Canadian Scientist, (Lott was his last name) did an intensive study that showed that violence increased where guns were banned.

I think there is room for some sensible laws to control who gets guns, but banning guns is not only impossible, but idiotic. Keeping guns out of the hands of honest, law-abiding citizens invites criminals with illegal guns to run rampant, with no fear of resistance.

Often just the presence of a gun by a citizen has prevented crime - without a shot being fired.

So, what is your plan? How do you expect it to work? What will you do about criminals guns? (Full automatic weapons were outlawed in 1933, but outlaws still have them!)

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns.

How do we protect our lives and property? Bows and arrows? Daikons? Rocks?

Get real. It is tragic when a deranged person kills numerous people (or even one innocent person), as tragic as a hit-and-run car driver, or a speeding or drinking accident. But we think we can't do without cars, and some think we can't do without guns as well. Any untimely death is tragic.

Banning legal gun ownership will probably be a wash - we prevent a few deaths while we permit a few others. The trick is removing guns from the hands of criminals. Now how TF do you propose to do that?

Obama has come out of the closet now with his desire to initiate gun control and go on-board with the UN. I don't buy it.

All throughout the mideast, half the population has AK-47's - Russian and Chi-Com made. And they have Americans as their targets. How do you feel about being a target?
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Paranoid Gun Control Enthusiasts

Sports announcer Bob Costas had the courage to tell the truth on national television about gun control.

Strict gun control should be near the top of Obama's agenda in his second term. I will not be intimidated by the NRA and their paranoid members.
                  THE Truth... or HIS truth? His truth, I think. The murder suicide could have as easily been committed with a knife, or even a broken bottle, strangulation, or drugs.
                  Perhaps a gun made it easier, or allowed a more immediate response to anger, I'll allow that. This person should not have been permitted a gun. But how do we determine who can and who cannot?

NRA members are not paranoid; gun control enthusiasts are paranoid. NRA members are patriots, upholding the Bill of Rights and the American Constitution. They promote safe gun use training and careful screening, while supporting the Bill of Rights. Gun-controllers promote the seizing of private property and removing the rights of a citizen to provide his own protection and the protection of his country via a local militia.

I think it reasonable that people desiring gun possession be carefully screened. Certainly, football players should not be permitted to own guns! They are inherently violent! Also, paranoid gun-control enthusiasts should be banned; paranoia often has violent outcomes!

I currently have been banned from possessing guns because I was a soldier in the Vietnam war. Because I served my country by carrying a gun, I can no longer carry a gun. Talk about poetic justice! I formerly had concealed carry permits in Connecticut, Georgia and California. I never shot anyone.
                  Once I pointed and cocked my gun at a home intruder, and he chose to run away. I told him to keep running and never come back, and he never has. I like that level of deterrence. It's like a "no trespassing" sign with some weight. I'm sure he also told his fellow crooks to 'stay away.' They have. For 20 years we have had no burglaries, thefts, intruders or anything else.

I've arranged for my spouse to be the 'pistol-packing mama' for the home, and because of my reputation she has never been challenged.

This is NOT a simple topic, and short and coarse rhetoric has no place in this discussion. If you are unprepared to back up your beliefs, you are just another mindless follower of a crippled philosophy.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                    Possibly someone who can distinguish between fiction and reality?
                    For thought:

1) If it is as simple as people being able to use good judgement based upon their distinguishing between fiction and reality, would not that same simplicity apply towards good judgement regarding safe gun handling and unsafe/criminal handling? Obviously good judgement does not rule for many.

2) Does desensitizing [Verb: Make less sensitive; Make (someone) less likely to feel shock or distress at scenes of cruelty, violence, or suffering by overexposure to such images] blur the distinction for some regarding the realities of gun usage (for example: movies show 20 shots, all missing the target; survivability of getting shot numerous times, and just limping away; acceptance by having Tom, Dick & Harry all packing heat)? There are many misperceptions about guns in the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      I currently have been banned from possessing guns because I was a soldier in the Vietnam war. Because I served my country by carrying a gun, I can no longer carry a gun. Talk about poetic justice! I formerly had concealed carry permits in Connecticut, Georgia and California. I never shot anyone.
                      What? More details on that policy please, it does not make sense. I know that a felon can no longer possess a gun, but an ex-soldier cannot possess a gun?

Comment

The origins of gunpowder go back many years.

Microbial fermentation converted the drainage liquids from piles of pig dung

into saltpeter..

When mixed with a little charcoal and whatnot stuffed into bamboo stalks, we saw

the beginnings of of our current space age.

Comment

How can someone want gun control, while at the same time, support with their pocketbook the movie-making that has tremendous gun violence?
                          How do you justify that presumption? Personally, I haven't been to a movie theater in probably 20 years.

Comment

but an ex-soldier cannot possess a gun?
                            Reminds me of these spurious emails that are circulating today - If you tell the lie often enough, the attempt is that one day it will then become the truth as a result.

Here is an interesting paper that specifically studies gun ownership versus gun violence. You decide.

Comment

2) Does desensitizing [Verb: Make less sensitive; Make (someone) less likely to feel shock or distress at scenes of cruelty, violence, or suffering ...
                              That question is for you to answer, since you're the one proposing some sort of censorship or boycott. How about the description of violence in books? Do you think it is wrong to buy a copy of War and Peace? How about history books?
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X