Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How you guys make Beef Luau?

I couldn't find any recipes online...

Any help would be appreciated cuz I have a mean craving for it right now.

I know the ingredients are very simple.. luau leaves, beef, salt, water... but it must take good technique to make it right.

Thanks!

James
    http://www.bigislandgrinds.com/

Re: How you guys make Beef Luau?

Originally posted by jimrubio View Post
    I couldn't find any recipes online...

Any help would be appreciated cuz I have a mean craving for it right now.

I know the ingredients are very simple.. luau leaves, beef, salt, water... but it must take good technique to make it right.

Thanks!

James
    Here's a "traditional" Squid Luau recipe that you can probably find a way to sub out the squid for thick cut shortribs or boneless shortribs like how Azeka's used to use in their laulau.

Squid Luau Recipe courtesy Sam Choy from Sam Choy's Sampler

2 pounds calamari (squid)
    3 pounds luau leaves* see note
    1 teaspoon Hawaiian salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    6 tablespoons butter
    2 medium onions, diced
    3 cups coconut milk
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    Note: leaves of the taro plant

Clean calamari and slice in rings, then set aside.
    Wash luau leaves, remove stems and thick veins. In a pot, boil 3 cups of water with the Hawaiian salt and baking soda. Add the leaves to the boiling water and reduce heat. Simmer, partially covered for 1 hour. Drain, and squeeze out liquid.
    Saute onions and cleaned calamari in the butter until the onions are translucent. Add the coconut milk, cooked luau leaves, salt, and sugar. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Leave out the squid and butter.
    The hard part is going to be to figure out how to cook the beef long enough so it's gets tender. When using beef in laulau, you have to steam the laulau for 4 to 6 hours anyway, so the meat ends up falling apart when done.

We tried our hand at making laulau for the first time. Just preparing the luau leaves is a lot of work just to feed a craving, brah. Good luck.

Comment

The best, clean tasting beef luau stew I have tasted is by simmering the luau leaves for three hours, and draining after the first two hours the luau leaves through a sieve after every hour, adding fresh water and leaving the last hour undrained added to the beef which has been browned and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours in water with a thinly sliced small onion or half an onion until tender.

My own technique is this: take short ribs with bone or a combination with beef brisket (1/2 and 1/2, 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. beef in total, the bone has marrow which greatly enhances the flavor of the broth) and cook it Filipino adobo style with thinly sliced onions (1/4 inch, or even better 1/8 inch sliced half a large onion, or one small onion, so the onion will melt in the broth) cover with water, add 2 teaspoons to 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (remember you can always add more salt at the end) and simmer until the water evaporates and brown the beef in the oil on all sides that is left from simmering it.

Add the luau leaves with the liquid that it was simmering to the pot with the browned beef and with a wooden spoon or spatula, scrap up all the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Taste and adjust the seasoning with Hawaiian salt.

I know this way is "time consuming" but the results are well worth it! Good Luck!

Comment

Beau, thanks so much for your advice! I think I will try that this weekend with some brisket... and hopefully some bones.

I might try use a pressure cooker to speed up the process -- I hope using it won't ruin the taste of anything.

Da Rolling Eye -- thanks for that recipe too. I like make some squid luau too now!

I'll let you guys know how it goes

Thanks!!!

Comment

Remember...it's all in the fat melting. That brisket will work wonders for that dish.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Aii.. stop drooling!

It was a great success thanks to you guys.

See full report at my food blog: http://bigislandgrinds.com/2008/02/beef-luau-recipe/

Thanks again.
            Last edited by jimrubio; February 2, 2008, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Aaah...now you got me wanting to try it. Hmm. Maybe check out Tamura's today, see what they got.

Comment

Good grief, 1st thing in the morning I get tempted with one picture of beef luau... Hmm, better hele to the store while still get time b-4 the big game.
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

So I'm making some squid luau for an aquaponics meetup tommorrow... 3rd time this year so far!
                  Attached Files
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

deleted by poster.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                    X