Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

I went to Flamingo's last night and it was CHAOS with patrons standing outside the door. Once seated, it was still a 30-minute wait before we even got a menu. The waitress was totally lost and luckily, another waitress took our orders. I wanted pork cutlet, a comfort food, but they were already OUT. So, I settled for another stand-by, teri beef and sauteed mahi combo. Dessert? Jello, as they were out of tapioca pudding. It was obvious that they were overwhelmed by the public response. We were told that extra food was brought over from the Pearl City restaurant to meet the demand. A prime example of "you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

Comment

My Uncle opened up a little shop on Fort Street Mall called the Hawaiian Stop.
      I helped him to bring in KC Drive Inn's Waffle Hot Dogs. He was amazed at all the people that came by to relive the memories! The only thing I am having trouble with is the Relish. I can't seem to hit the right combo. but still trying.

I suggested to him to find more local food receipes that are gone and revive them with of course thier former owners blessings. So he agreed and left me in charge. so if anyone has ideas PM me!
      Thank you.

Comment

I saw that place. I was wondering how is the Puerto Rican food?
        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

We have Hawaiian food and PR food. I love the Pastele Stew!

Comment

• OK, so you've got pastele stew...

...that's good, now how about kim chee burgers?
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
              I suggested to him to find more local food receipes that are gone and revive them with of course thier former owners blessings. So he agreed and left me in charge. so if anyone has ideas PM me!
              You should contact Betty Shimabukuro at the Star Bulletin. In the past, she's printed several "secret" recipes of popular restaurant dishes. Many of her past columns are archived online, and maybe there are a few others she might share with you.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
                My Uncle opened up a little shop on Fort Street Mall called the Hawaiian Stop.
                I helped him to bring in KC Drive Inn's Waffle Hot Dogs. He was amazed at all the people that came by to relive the memories! The only thing I am having trouble with is the Relish. I can't seem to hit the right combo. but still trying.

Thank you.
                I'm wondering if your uncle actually has the waffle irons for the hot dogs? and where he bought them? my understanding is that they are not easy to find. The building where I work had a waffle dog restaurant but it had to close for lack of business. Maybe he got the irons from that owner?
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yesterday while driving through Waikele we saw signs from Steve & Barry's that said "STORE CLOSING." Not missing a beat, we drove over and went into the store. It was getting crowded, but the "closing sale" was its regular sale racks.

I received a message from someone who said that the Hawaii store would not be closing. I asked the CSR and he gave a well scripted, "We're not sure, we're hoping it won't happen, but we're not sure." They were selling some hangers (but this could be a normal item that they sell), someone was asking about the cost of fixtures...

Anyone know?
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

Saw a display ad in this morning's Advertiser that Moreira Tile is closing on 11/26. Apparently they lost their lease. Sad, as I've purchased tile there every time I've remodeled.

Comment

It's sad so many places have shut down. I've had some great eats at alot of places.

Comment

Eastside Bar and Grill at Puck's Alley is now closed indefinitely. Too bad they couldn't make it to the end of UH's football season.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Eastside Bar and Grill at Puck's Alley is now closed indefinitely. Too bad they couldn't make it to the end of UH's football season.
                          If they closed for financial reasons then it appears football season might not have been much help to begin with. Still, it's sad to see the loss of another small business.

Comment

Went by Flamingo Kapiolani the other night, all dark and sad.

Gotta love KGMB tonite, stating that while local eateries are sucking gas, McDonalds is doing great...
                            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 1, 2008, 05:14 PM.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              [...]McDonalds is doing great...
                              I've heard that a lot! Makes sense. I'd love to know how much of their increase is due to the dollar menu! I'm doing my part!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                I'd love to know how much of their increase is due to the dollar menu! I'm doing my part!
                                Me too. I had lunch at Mickey D's today, and saw a sign in the window about how some of the items on the dollar menu are being increased.
                                Sign of the times.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X