Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good or Bad Move? Leaving a Hit TV Series

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Oh, How could I forget? But, Britney Spears' shaved look was both upstairs and downstairs.
    Nothing wrong with downstair's trimming. At least I don't have to floss afterward, or cough up human hairball.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Jeff Conaway made a comeback this year on Celeb Rehab with Dr.Drew with the catch phrase, "TAKE THAT BACK!"
      Actually, genre fans would know him as Garibaldi's second-in-command of security on Babylon 5.

But after that he was gone from the scene only to wind up on that reality show above all broken.

Shannen Doherty from 90210 for her off & on set catfights
      And yet came back to TV on Charmed. Only to leave again.

Comment

Made a Good Move by Leaving Early Include:
        John Travolta from Welcome Back Kotter
        Farrah Fawcett from Charlie's Angels
        Chevy Chase from Saturday Night Live
        Suzanne Somers from Three's Company- Might be a ?, She got to use a device on her thighs.
        I have no argument with Travolta.

Chase left SNL for movie stardom. But then again, nobody stays on that show forever.

Somers did okay, although it did take her awhile to land on her feet in another successful series (Step By Step) after ditching Three's Company.

Fawcett: If you ask me, her career was never the same after leaving Charlie's Angels. Starred in some box office bombs (Somebody Killed Her Husband and Sunburn) that wrecked tremendous damage to her reputation. Farrah's done steady work on TV ever since, but never regained the high profile she once had on Charlie's.

The best looking daughter on the Cosby Show
        If you're talking about Lisa Bonet, she left the Cosby Show to star in A Different World, which actually turned out to be a very successful spin-off series. Only problem was that she got pregnant and her Denise Huxtable character was written out of the show as a result. After giving birth, Bonet eventually returned to the Cosby Show.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          If you're talking about Lisa Bonet, she left the Cosby Show to star in A Different World, which actually turned out to be a very successful spin-off series. Only problem was that she got pregnant and her Denise Huxtable character was written out of the show as a result. After giving birth, Bonet eventually returned to the Cosby Show.
          I don't recall seeing her on the series finale, though.

Comment

I don't recall seeing her on the series finale, though.

Didn't Jasmine Guy become the star of that series? There were other tv series where a supporting character became the star of the show such as Fonzie in Happy Days, Urkel in Family Matters, Michael J.Fox in Family Ties, and David Hyde Pierce would match Frasier Crane.

Comment

Other people whose careers went into tailspins after leaving a hit TV show:

Herve Villechaize (Tatoo on Fantasy Island) - Not only did his acting career crash and burn after leaving Fantasy Island, but so did his personal life. Ultimately ended in suicide. Sad.

David Garrison (Steve Rhodes on Married With Children) - Maybe this one should have an asterisk, in that Garrison preferred stage acting over episodic TV work. By all accounts, he has been happy with his decision. But there's no question that he sacrificed money and fame in leaving Married.

Don Meredith (announcer on ABC's Monday Night Football) - Meredith's folksy style was the perfect match for Howard Cosell's edgy commentary and Frank Gifford's straight-laced announcing. MNF had it's highest ratings during the early 1970s, not only because of the drama on the field, but because of the antics in the broadcast booth. But the magic came to an end when Meredith defected to NBC, and ABC was never able to find another ex-jock who exhibited the same kind of chemistry that he enjoyed with Frank and Howie. Dandy Don found his post-MNF days tough too, failing to fit in with NBC's announcers.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; July 23, 2008, 08:11 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Anybody see Britney when she performed on the beach in front of the Hilton?
                Seems like a hundred years ago...
                Yeah and when I saw it on tv a few weeks later or so I saw myself on tv in the crowd when the cameras came down on us for a solid 20 seconds or so.

I ended up being on camera on Wheel of Fortune the next year too I think, guess it helps when you sit next to Vanna White and Sajak's family.

Aj

Comment

Abe Vigoda - played Fish on Barney Miller. Left the program to star in his own short-lived spin-off.

Yes but I think Vigoda came back to the series after "Fish" ended its short run on tv. I rememeber Todd Bridges on "Fish" as one of the kids, prior to his "Different Strokes" role.

Vigoda is 87 now, seems to be in okay health too.

Aj
                  Last edited by helen; July 24, 2008, 12:19 AM. Reason: fixing the quote tag

Comment

Remember how they fazed Suzanne Somers out of "Three's Company" she would appear talking on the telephone, which meant she wasn't even on the set when everyone else was.

Farah Fawcett only appeared in the first season of "Charlie's Angels" as a regular. For the next 3 seasons she guest starred on a couple shows each year.

Technically John Travolta never really left "Welcome Back Kotter", it is true his appearences on the show became less frequent because he was busy making "Saturday Night Fever" and Grease", but he stayed on the show until the end, during the last season because of Travolta's less appearences on the show they brought in the Beau character played by actor Stephen Shortridge who I think was or is a Hawaii resident.

The last season of Kotter was strange because Gabe Kaplan was having trouble with the producers and only appeared in a handful of episodes. Major reason why the show was canceled it lacked essentially the two biggest stars of the show: Kotter and Barbarino.

Don Meredith I recall got into acting after leaving MNF, doing movie of the weeks, "Police Story" episodes and did come back briefly in the mid 80's to at the very least call Superbowl 19 when the 49ers won in January 1985. Lives in New Mexico and is retired from what I've heard.

Aj

Comment

Wayne Rogers left MASH and ended up getting the HOUSE CALLS show on CBS which lasted 3 seasons as I recall with Lynne Redgrave and David Wayne. I liked watching that show as a kid. If you ever watch the economic round table shows on FAUX News Wayne sometimes appears, guess he invested his money well.

Pernell Roberts left BONANZA to try and act in Shakespeare plays and ended up making guest appearences in shows like MANNIX before finally striking it big with TRAPPER JOHN, M.D.

Are we talking leaving a series on your own accord in this thread? John Amos was written out of GOOD TIMES and I hadn't seen him much until ecently when he was on that show with Anne Heche that was just canceled.

Patrick Duffy, Luke Perry returned to their roles on DALLAS and 90210 after departing for short periods of time.

I'd say Michael Douglas leaving STREETS of San FRANCISCO was a good career move on his part.

Lee Majors left OWEN MARSHALL to star in his own series SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN.

Actress Michael Learned left the WALTONS to start working on her NURSE series which never really took off. Richard Thomas left the WALTONS and I doubt he regrets it.

Donna Mills left KNOTS LANDING and starred in a number of movie of the weeks, still looks fantastic for 60, but the genre of movie of the weeks seem to be in the past, otherwise I think she would be working more.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        Yes but I think Vigoda came back to the series after "Fish" ended its short run on tv.
                        Abe Vigoda did not return to Barney Miller, even after Fish was cancelled. His character might have returned for a few guest appearances, but he never came back as a regular. Not that the show needed him. If you ask me, Barney Miller became a better show after Vigoda left and gave more air time to Steve Landesburg (Dietrich).

MASH is one of those shows where all of the actors who left early did not meet with great success. McLean Stevenson (Col. Blake), Wayne Rogers (Trapper John), Larry Linville (Maj. Burns), and Gary Burghoff (Radar) all experienced the post-MASH curse.

Comment

Remember how they fazed Suzanne Somers out of "Three's Company" she would appear talking on the telephone, which meant she wasn't even on the set when everyone else was.
                          Basically, it was done so that Somers could fulfill her contractural obligations to the show and not cause a disruption to the show's production. Sad that things had deteriorated so badly between her and the rest of the cast.

Farah Fawcett only appeared in the first season of "Charlie's Angels" as a regular. For the next 3 seasons she guest starred on a couple shows each year.
                          She was only a regular on the first season, true. But still, leaving the show turned out to be a big career mistake for Farrah. Just as it was for Melinda Culea (The "A" Team) and Denise Crosby (Star Trek: The Next Generation).

Comment

She was only a regular on the first season, true. But still, leaving the show turned out to be a big career mistake for Farrah. Just as it was for Melinda Culea (The "A" Team) and Denise Crosby (Star Trek: The Next Generation).
                            While Denise left to pursue a different career path, it was clear that the writers of the show weren't putting much effort into her character's development. Simply put, there were one too many characters on TNG.

But she did came back and were given better stories for the roles she played in, including Yar's half-Romulan daughter Major Sela.

Comment

Ah, the first name to leak as possible replacement for Peterson/Grissom on CSI:

Laurence Fishburne.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                Ah, the first name to leak as possible replacement for Peterson/Grissom on CSI:

Laurence Fishburne.
                                I remember Laurence Fishburne when he was Cowboy Curtis on Pee Wee's Playhouse.

Comment

Working...
                                X