Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 13th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Ali`i

Default Star Trek

woa! i'm so out of it. i didn't know there were any plans for yet another star trek movie!

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/2...218483100.html

if this were april, i'd be sure that it was an april fool's prank!!!
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: new star trek movie!

No hoax. It's old news. JJ Abrams wants to make the next Trek film.

So far, he's lined up Zachary Quinto (from HEROES "Sylar") for the young Spock role.

He even got Leonard Nimoy to reprise his role as the elder Mr. Spock.

Zoe Saldana from Pirates of the Caribbeans sequel films will be young Uhura.

The latest news is casting Eric Bana for a Romulan villain role.
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Ali`i

To be released on December 25, 2008. I don't know if they started filming yet.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Kanaka

Send a message via AIM to StephS

Simon Pegg (from "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") is slated to be young Scotty.
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephS View Post
Simon Pegg (from "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz") is slated to be young Scotty.
I would have preferred Tom McAvoy from the Last King of Scotland and Chronicles of Narnia.
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
So far, he's lined up Zachary Quinto (from HEROES "Sylar") for the young Spock role.

that'll work.

I wonder if the new Kirk is gonna have to take overacting lessons to prepare for the part. I thought Shatner was doing a great job when I was 8. I still do, just a different kind of great.

edit: shot from one of my favorite episodes.
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Let's bring back the Gorn.
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
To be released on December 25, 2008. I don't know if they started filming yet.
They better do it soon with the BIG strike coming up in Hollywood.

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Kanaka

As long as they do the classic fight music in the background!

Da da DA DA DA DA DA dun dun da dah!
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Ali`i

meh. i'm bummed that it's not a DS9 movie. i think i can do without a trek movie with the VGR cast and i surely can live the rest of my life without seeing a trek movie featuring archer's crew. to tell the truth, i'm not sure i like this trend of looking backward with prequels and stuff.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Ali`i

More casting info including the young Kirk and the ultra-yummy Karl Urban as the good doctor.
Chris Pine to play Captain Kirk
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
More casting info including the young Kirk and the ultra-yummy Karl Urban as the good doctor.
holy macarel, that guy was so good in smokin aces. hope he can pull of this star trek movie. (btw, in an old roast of william shatner, i forget who but someone said something like, "dammit man! you were supposed to explore the galaxy, not FILL it!" referring to Shatner's current weight! so funny!)
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Kumu

Default Re: New Star Trek movie!

I say all prequels should be assimilated (by Rep. Jon Riki Karamatsu's car)!
It's bad enough watching Capt. Archer's Enterprise poking along at warp 5 and reeling in space collectibles with their grappling hook!
But a new film without the Borg? Where's that self-destruct mode?
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
It's bad enough watching Capt. Archer's Enterprise poking along at warp 5 and reeling in space collectibles with their grappling hook!
off topic, but i'll have you all know that eric spent a lot of time finding the most bewbiest seven of nine pic possible for the enjoyment of you female-form-appreciating HT/trekkies/trekkers.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Ali`i

One of our first ITs had the *biggest* picture of her on the back of his office door. I swear there was bio-spackle on it; suffice to say that I will not comment further except that I cannot look at her without thinking about a very odd little soul whose path once crossed mine.

{{{willies}}}

pax
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Chuck it up to bad story writings from Brannon Braga and Rick Berman.

They should have let Manny Coto run the show, which he did for the fourth and final season (series finale episode not counted, due to bad writing from Braga and Berman again).

Quote:
Sorry, not a fan of the "Seven of Nine Show." Glad that Jeri Ryan ditched her then-boyfriend Braga.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Chuck it up to bad story writings from Brannon Braga and Rick Berman.
we agree with that one. dunno how they could have gone so bad considering they've been a team from DS9, if i recall correctly.

for all his complaining about grappling hooks, eric still insists on dvr-ing the show. i call it his hopeless optimism.

Quote:

They should have let Manny Coto run the show, which he did for the fourth and final season (series finale episode not counted, due to bad writing from Braga and Berman again).
also agree with this.

Quote:
Sorry, not a fan of the "Seven of Nine Show." Glad that Jeri Ryan ditched her then-boyfriend Braga.
hmm. had not known about that, but then again, i stopped checking out the trek rags with any consistency after DS9's finale. i'd only known about chase masterson and rene echevarria dating and alexander siddig and nana visitor being husband and wife (tho they've now divorced amicably, i understand). what i did know about jeri is that she's a national merit scholar.

side note about leeta: carafano v. metrosplash was a case i had to study in school re internet law and communications decency act.

Old October 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
I loved Karl Urban as Eomer in the Lord of the Rings, he should be good in that role

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Glad that Jeri Ryan ditched her then-boyfriend Braga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
hmm. had not known about that
She was in the company of a French chef who was a challenger on "Iron Chef America" last season, Christophe Emé. They wed in June, and are expecting their first child.

(I saw the IC-A episode; the rest I just gleaned from the web.)
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
She was in the company of a French chef who was a challenger on "Iron Chef America" last season, Christophe Emé. They wed in June, and are expecting their first child.

(I saw the IC-A episode; the rest I just gleaned from the web.)

we saw that eppy of iron chef. still weird for me to see her in regular clothes. i do admire a woman who could have easily coasted thru life bcs of her looks but uses her other assets so well. how many 36D blonde bombshells out there are as brainy and additionally, musically talented as she is?

Old October 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
how many 36D blonde bombshells out there are as brainy and additionally, musically talented as she is?
Don't know (would Diana Krall count?) - but I'd wager there are many HT'ers who would volunteer for that research project.
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
we agree with that one. dunno how they could have gone so bad considering they've been a team from DS9, if i recall correctly.
Simple. Braga and Berman stayed away from DS9 and let Ira Steven Behr (with Braga's former friend, Ron D. Moore) run the show.

Quote:
hmm. had not known about that, but then again, i stopped checking out the trek rags with any consistency after DS9's finale.
Well, it was after Jeri Ryan got the job as Seven of Nine, that she and Braga hooked up (after her divorce from her first marriage). You can tell he was writing (or assigning the Voyager writing staff) for her then-girlfriend.
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
i'm not sure i would agree that VGR, once ryan joined, became overly enthralled with her bcs of her herself or simply bcs she was dating braga. ST has a long history of spending a lot of time examining what it means to be human by considering characters which are not human, like spock, data, worf, odo, Q, and so on. seven of nine is part of that progression.

Old October 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
i'm not sure i would agree that VGR, once ryan joined, became overly enthralled with her bcs of her herself or simply bcs she was dating braga. ST has a long history of spending a lot of time examining what it means to be human by considering characters which are not human, like spock, data, worf, odo, Q, and so on. seven of nine is part of that progression.
Perhaps, but I never felt that Spock, Data, Worf, and Odo took much of the story's content. When she came aboard, it was all about Seven.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Perhaps, but I never felt that Spock, Data, Worf, and Odo took much of the story's content. When she came aboard, it was all about Seven.

i'd say that if VGR spent too much time on seven, then TOS spent too much time on spock ("he's half human, but he's half vulcan, so how much human is he really?" as if being two different species required a different math) and TNG on data ("even if i do not have a heart, in terms of physical sexuality, i am fully functional and well-versed in all techniques...cept i cannot speak a contraction and i cannot laugh").

the only diff is that the male trekkies/trekkers pay more attention to the emotionless, human/not-human characters when they have such big...brains...and wear skin tight outfits that emphasize such...brains.