Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Player's Place
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Michelle Wie

Mahalo, Nords . . . (I agree the white skirt defense is pretty lame)
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Ali`i

Another side of Wie - odd art(ist):

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/sp...olf/31wie.html
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The general idea of the "no grounding" rule is that grounding a club would allow a golfer to improve the area around the ball to make it easier to hit. The rule doesn't specify whether it applies before, during, or after hitting the ball-- it says "don't do that". The issue in this case is that she put her club down after hitting the ball because she thought she was losing her balance and was afraid she would fall over.
Another aspect of the rule against grounding your club is that by doing so you may be seen as "testing" the ground upon which your ball lies. For the non-golfers, a ball will react differently when struck from a different "lie". For example, a ball in the fairway (the closely mown portion of the hole) will be sitting up nice and high and the golf club will impart more spin on it and the golfer will be able to know how far the ball will travel when hit with a certain club. However, a ball in the rough (the deeper grass surrounding the fairway) will be sitting lower, and the spin imparted on the ball by the club will be lessened, thus making it more difficult for a golfer to judge exactly how hard to hit it, and with which club. Balls sitting in a sand trap or in a water hazard, as Michelle's ball was, will result in even less predictability. Grounding a club in a hazard may allow one to get a better feel for the ball's lie. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? But there's another term we use called "Rub of the Green", which basically means, "S*** happens, deal with it." Take your medicine and move on.

(I just re-read this paragraph and realized how much of a golf geek I am.)

Bottom line, it's just another of those arcane rules that non-golfers (and many golfers as well) will find silly, but they're all as much a part of our game as three strikes are to baseball.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
The general idea of the "no grounding" rule is that grounding a club would allow a golfer to improve the area around the ball to make it easier to hit. The rule doesn't specify whether it applies before, during, or after hitting the ball-- it says "don't do that". The issue in this case is that she put her club down after hitting the ball because she thought she was losing her balance and was afraid she would fall over.

Perhaps the other golfers would understand/sympathize, but pros are supposed to appreciate these hair-splitting aspects of the rules-- and her mistake helped enrich a few others who managed to complete their rounds without falling over. Presumably the course officials wanted to avoid a media circus from any appearance of giving her special treatment. Of course this entire incident might have been missed by the media, and Wie's commentary probably poured more fuel on the flames of the sports editorials. But the rules guys did their job the way it's supposed to be done.
In close to 5 years of being a pro, this is the first time Michelle had been given such a penalty. It's safe to say that she is familiar with this rule.

The "no grounding" rule to which you refer to rule 13-4b. Now, there is no question that Michelle grounded her club after making her initial shot from the hazard,.... while the ball was still in the hazard. But there are exceptions to this rule. Exception 1 to rule 13-4 says:

Quote:
Provided nothing is done that constitutes testing the condition of the hazard or improves the lie of the ball, there is no penalty if the player (a) touches the ground or loose impediments in any hazard or water in a water hazard as a result of or to prevent falling, in removing an obstruction, in measuring or in marking the position of, retrieving, lifting, placing or replacing a ball under any Rule or
(b) places his clubs in a hazard.
So Michelle based her appeal on the claim that she touched her club to prevent herself from falling. As it turned out, the official rejected this appeal. Essentially, it was a judgement call. But agree with her or not, Michelle had a valid case for her appeal.
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...US-Open-070810

What happened? She's getting worse.
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Ali`i

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-262517

He had the same kind of penalty of grounding that Michelle Wie did once. And he's a professional male golfer.
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...US-Open-070810

What happened? She's getting worse.
Worse than what? While there's no doubt she's had a somewhat disappointing year, especially with her uneven play in the majors, she's had a couple of top 5 finishes. As of today she's ranked 12th in the Rolex World Golf Rankings and 19th on the money list. Not exactly like she's fallen off the face of the earth.

Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-262517

He had the same kind of penalty of grounding that Michelle Wie did once. And he's a professional male golfer.
While you're right in that Dustin Johnson's penalty was for grounding his club, as MW was penalized for earlier this season, the penalties are in fact hardly the same. In his case, it was controversial due to the fact that he was leading the tournament on the final hole, and the penalty for grounding his club in a bunker (a sand trap, for you non-golfers) cost him a place in the playoff. (Not to mention that this tournament was the PGA Championship - the final major of the year.) He was penalized because he didn't realize that the area his ball was in was actually considered to be a bunker. (It's highly unusual for one to be placed so far outside the ropes that spectators can walk, sit, or stand in, as this one was.) He finished his hole, but when shown that his ball was actually in a bunker he immediately realized his mistake and that the penalty was valid.

In Wie's case, her ball was in a water hazard, and she grounded her club after she made her swing. Her claim was that she wasn't actually grounding her club, but using it to keep her balance after swinging. In her case, the penalty did not cost her the tournament, which was won in runaway fashion by another player. It wasn't controversial as much as newsworthy due to the fact that she'd had a couple other rules infractions in the past, none of which would be notable at all if they had been incurred by a player with a lower media profile.

So again I'm flying my golf geek flag high and proud, but I have disagree that these penalties are the same in any respect. Further, I'm not following the point you're trying to make about the fact that "he's a professional male golfer." Are you implying that as such he should know the rules better then she, or any woman would?
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCal Boy View Post
Further, I'm not following the point you're trying to make about the fact that "he's a professional male golfer." Are you implying that as such he should know the rules better then she, or any woman would?
I'm going to sound sexist. But, the men's professional golf tour is real golf. Same as I wouldn't call the WNBA as real basketball. Even though I like Diana Taurasi's game. I'm not worried about disagreement replies because deep down more people agree with me.
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Kumu

Quote:
I'm not worried about disagreement replies because deep down more people agree with me.
Having sparred taekwondo with women in my age/weight class, you're invited to go a few rounds with them sometime...
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Luna

Quote:
I'm going to sound sexist.
Agreed.

Quote:
But, the men's professional golf tour is real golf.
-snip-
I'm not worried about disagreement replies because deep down more people agree with me.
Couldn't disagree more. And I won't further inflame your borderline troll remarks so let me just say "Whatever........"
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
So again I'm flying my golf geek flag high man would?
Quote:
Agreed.

Couldn't disagree more. And I won't further inflame your borderline troll remarks so let me just say "Whatever........"
2713 posts. Yup, smells like troll.

I like this competitive banter. We jus no can get all huhu, and make habut face, and den no like post anymore.
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Having sparred taekwondo with women in my age/weight class, you're invited to go a few rounds with them sometime...
So, you want to eliminate all women's team in order for women to compete on men's team when they're equal but not separate.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Kumu

Quote:
So, you want to eliminate all women's team in order for women to compete on men's team when they're equal but not separate.
Um, no. I'm saying that I don't agree with you. You're putting words in my mouth.

If you think the women's division of the sport is somehow less "real" than the men's division of the sport, then you're welcome to try competing in the women's division sometime and see how "real" it gets. That's all.

But I have to admit that I cringe every time I see Wie's name in print, wondering what type of self-imposed implosion she subjected herself to this time.
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Ali`i

I'm proud of the Waipio kids even though it didn't work out for them. But...
Michelle Wie won her second tournament. And she looked confident while she was doing it, at least the parts I saw while switching back and forth between Waipio and her. When the kids lost, Michelle was just teeing off on 18. Cool.
She won $337,000. Nice payday. But have you noticed she hasn't won in the USA yet? Her first one was in Mexico and this one was in Canada. Hmmm...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
But have you noticed she hasn't won in the USA yet? Her first one was in Mexico and this one was in Canada. Hmmm...
Heh. I saw a line somewhere that went as follows: "She's doing her bit for NAFTA."

Good for her, though. Now she goes back to Stanford and has no tournaments for a while, I suppose.
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister View Post
Heh. I saw a line somewhere that went as follows: "She's doing her bit for NAFTA."

Good for her, though. Now she goes back to Stanford and has no tournaments for a while, I suppose.
Actually, Stanford's autumn quarter doesn't start until Sept. 20. In the meantime, Michelle has already committed to appear in the NW Arkansas Championship (Sept. 10-12). Furthermore, I would be very, very surprised if she doesn't try to defend her Lorena Ochoa Invitational title in November.
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Ali`i

Thanks, Frankie. That's exactly what I was going to write too. It was in this morning's paper.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:11 AM
Ali`i

Team Wie might be getting to the twilight of her golfing career.
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Ali`i

http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/michelle...ple-dress.html

Michelle Wie cares more about fashion than WINNING.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:09 AM
Ali`i

Did something happened this past weekend?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:19 AM
Ali`i

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...-major-victory

She got the monkey off her back.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:20 AM
Ali`i

http://khon2.com/2015/11/22/michelle...with-struggle/

It hasn't been a good year for Hawaii's sports.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 02:05 AM
Ali`i

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/05/29...racism-sexism/

Hank Haney will be appearing as the opening act at The Noodle Shop.