Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Player's Place
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 1st, 2007, 10:42 PM
kamuelakea

Default Re: Michelle Wie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
This sums up my feelings for Wie. So much talent, not enough mental toughness (compare her to Morgan Pressel, whom I dislike, but respect tremendously), and full of excuses. It's always wrist this, or conditions that, or fatigue whatever. Own up to your bad play, take criticisms and learn from them, and work hard to get better. It seems like kids in general have aversions to being criticized. Can't let it affect you like that, especially if you are one to go seeking praise and adoration.

WOW! I've always had some distant admiration for people and cultures with that kind of discipline. Russian gymnastics, Chinese Women’s Volleyball etc. But I’ve also been happy that I didn’t grow up with parents like that or in a culture like those.

Much of your comments seem appropriate for adults. But for children? I tend to think that the parents that are most controlling and critical and abusive are the ones who want their children to succeed for THEIR own sense of accomplishment. In the United States, that usually backfires.

I am no Tiger Woods expert but I never sensed that with Tiger Woods relationship with his father. Seemed to be one of the warmest most respectful father son relationships I’ve seen (albeit from afar). Tiger seemed to deeply love his father not fear him. Tiger seemed to honor and admire his dad more than he probably thinks he should be admired for his golf abilities. That is one of the reasons I think Tiger went through that boot camp experience. I think he really really admired his father and wanted to “be like dad”. When his dad died, it was obvious he was missing his best friend.

And Tiger’s dad didn’t seem to have a problem with Tiger not turning pro to make a million but instead to go to college. He seemed to support his son, not control and direct.

Michelle’s father on the other hand had to be convinced that it was time for him to let go 3 or 4 years back. Michelle seems like she honors her parents in that stoic and maybe even fearful manner common in Asian cultures. I think that control and all the easy money took the fun out of golf for Michelle and she just wants her life back, even if it means losing a few million bucks in the process.

I say take your life back Michelle. Go to college and have good clean fun, fun, fun. Do what you want when you want it. But hopefully don’t let the frustration of being a child prodigy cause to go too far in the name of fun. Keep your moral compass and maintain self respect.

But be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:57 PM
kamuelakea

Ouch. Didn't think it would get worse this fast but it did.
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Kia`aina

I could give ten million reasons why people's attitudes and viewpoints change....

I still hope she goes on to a long and sucessful golf career and not flame out early. The potential and game are there.
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuelakea View Post
I am not a Michelle Wie hater. However, from the beginning, I have expressed concern about what appears to me to be typical controlling 1 child parent syndrome.

Everytime I've done that, people call me a Wie hater.

I have always felt a little sorry for the girl. She's been used and pimped like a race horse.

I think the poor girl is feeling the pressure of having lost most of her high school years to golf. I think she's got her mind on going to college away from her controling parents and getting on with her life.

These girls usually end up rebelling at the next stage of life. Colored hair, piercings, sex, boyfriends of races the parents won't celebrate. In her recent interviews, it seemed very clear to me that she was excited and elated to be leaving Hawaii and probably mostly the grip of her parents and the whole media circus.

I hope she lets go and has a blast in college and starts to catch up on the fun of life that she missed out on.
I agree! She needs to let loose now or you watch, in about 10 years the girl will end up posing nude in Playboy. saying "remember me? "

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr

Last edited by alohabear; June 6th, 2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM
kamuelakea

Getting worse.

But hopefully better. This all may be a rebellion by Michelle, conscious or subconscious.

Now she can go to Stanford and get away from her puppeteers.
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Troubled times for Wie on eve of U.S. Open
Quote:
Lately those moves have been scrutinized more than ever as Wie's game spirals downward on the same path as her confidence level. At the age of 17, she can't find the fairway with her driver, and the idea of competing against the men seems laughable when she can't even beat her own gender... Wie is still rich, and she's still famous, or as famous as a women's golfer can be. But the novelty of being a long-hitting 13-year-old who could hold her own with the best in the world has worn off, and she has yet to add a trophy of any sort to the family home in Hawai'i.
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Kanaka

My personal feeling is that Wie is not working hard enough. It may be due to a rebellious phase, or because of the fact that for most of her life, the game came very easy to her. It's clear that her game has plateaued, or even regressed. I'm hoping her time at Stanford will help her out. Is she playing golf there (I'm not even sure if she is NCAA eligible)? If she is, then she will receive some good coaching, and hopefully develop a good work ethic by being surrounded by other committed athletes. If she doesn't play golf, then I hope her time helps her mature and make her realize that she is not entitled to greatness, she has to earn it.

I love atheltes like Tiger Woods and Roger Federer. Say what you want about how boring it is to see them win all the time. They win all the time because they work hard at their craft. And when they win, they don't get complacent, because they know that everyone is gunning for them.
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
My personal feeling is that Wie is not working hard enough.
Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' broken wrist.

Quote:
It may be due to a rebellious phase, or because of the fact that for most of her life, the game came very easy to her.
Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' broken wrist.

Quote:
It's clear that her game has plateaued, or even regressed.
Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' BROKEN WRIST.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post

Yeah. The nerve of that girl, slacking off just because of a little ol' BROKEN WRIST.

I understand what you are trying to say, but her problems sarted way before her "little ol' BROKEN WRIST." But I see that you refuse to see ...
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I understand what you are trying to say, but her problems sarted way before her "little ol' BROKEN WRIST." But I see that you refuse to see ...
No, I see it a lot better from here in Hawai`i than you do from there in Vancouver.
There is no question whatsoever that Michelle has a terrific work ethic. You are totally wrong in implying otherwise.
Where the real problem has risen is her over-controlling parents, especially her father.
There. Now you know the real truth.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Broken wrist, overbearing parents, general misdirection... I get the feeling she's sick of golf. But even if she's not, the golf world seems sick of her. The shorthand is, basically, overhyped flame-out. When Tadd said he was going pro, the immediate pushback was, "Michelle Wie proves this is a bad idea." Which is sad.

Still, I'm glad she went pro when she did. She may have burned out sticking it out in the amateur leagues, anyway. At least this way, striking while the iron is hot, she's got some bucks in the bank to pursue whatever her next passion will be.

Which will hopefully be an advanced college degree.
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
No, I see it a lot better from here in Hawai`i than you do from there in Vancouver.
There is no question whatsoever that Michelle has a terrific work ethic. You are totally wrong in implying otherwise.
Where the real problem has risen is her over-controlling parents, especially her father.
There. Now you know the real truth.
Look. You may be closer to the home of Wie, but news of her exploits are well covered all over the world, especially here in Vancouver, where the Korean population is extremely high (I should know). There is no shortage of Wie updates. Now, unless you are intimatley familiar about her daily practice routines, her habits, etc ... I cannot imagine that you know that much more about her work ethic than what I think I know from what I've read. Now, I'm not saying that her over bearing dad isn't the problem. What I'm saying is that she isn't working hard enough, nor is she mature enough to understand the ramificaitons of her actions. The fact that she's lashing out because of her dad is beside the point. The LPGA does not say, "Michelle did not have a strong round today, but we'll let her make the cut because it's not her fault, after all, it's her dad's fault." Tongue in cheek, but that kind of attitude is what will keep her from realizing her potential. Look at one Jennifer Capriati. Teen sensation, made a boat load of money, so much potential, then flamed out in part because of her dad. When she had her come-back she admitted that she did not react well to the pressures (from the media and family), and she lashed out in the only way a teenager could. If Michelle Wie did have a strong work ethic, she would suceed despite her father (see Tiger Woods). I chalk up most of her behaviour to being too immature, and this is not an indictment of her character. And I am disappointed that no one is sitting her down and showing her what her actions are doing. That should be what her father is doing, but I'm surprised none of the elder LPGA veterans have tried. I'm hoping that a little college time will help her out. I know it helped me out immensely (although many will dispute that statement).
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Kia`aina

Default Talk about Michelle Wie

I know, I know, I shouldn't spam like this. Just thought you might be interested in a discussion forum dedicated to our local wahine and golf phenom Michelle Wie.

http://www.WieTalk.com

See ya!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
sansei

Default what may anyone's comment's on michelle wie return's?

hi this is sansei and i wondered what may anyone's thought's on Michelle wie's returnIng? I dont mean to inquire on this only in my Thought's and only from my Thought's that im Glad michelle wie is only playing in the lady's tournament is that's where lady's should play and im not being incensitive only im sharing my Thought's on her.

Well thank's for your time
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: what may anyone's comment's on michelle wie return's?

I'm glad she's making a comeback after a very disappointing year. Hopefully she got her head on straight.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: what may anyone's comment's on michelle wie return's?

go michelle! i don't even like golf and only watch it when either she, tadd or parker play.
i think she ended today at -2. she bogeyed a hole and then the station cut it off to broadcast something else.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Ali`i

Well, it happened again. Michelle having a respectable tournament ruined by a whopper round. This time it was a 3rd round 78, leading to a dead-last finish among all the players making the cut.

And yet again, another local teen steals the spotlight from Michelle on her home turf. Last year, it was Tadd Fujikawa at the Sony Open. At this year's Field Open, 18 year old Ayaka Kaneko finished in a tie for 44th, with a 3 under score.

Oh yes. One more thing. Paula Creamer is the champion.
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Ali`i

I'm guessing everyone will be jumping on the Kaneko bandwagon ... until she falters.

Congrats goes to Paula. Sorry, can't say the last name without chuckling.
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:08 AM
sansei

hi this is sansei and i dont mind Michelle wie as a lady's golfer only she couldnt match up to Kim Kim or tadd fujikawa and Ayaka kaneko or Paula creamer or Natalie Gulbis or Morgan pressell and karrie webb with Annoucer and previous Golfer so That's my Thought's on this.

well thank's for your time
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Ali`i

There was a story about Michelle Wie going out with one of the Lopez twins of the Stanford basketball team on Yahoo sports. Stanford lost in the NCAA basketball tournament today. Is she a curse or a Cooler of bad luck? He's 7 foot tall. If they have kids, They Might be Giants!
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
hi this is sansei and i dont mind Michelle wie as a lady's golfer only she couldnt match up to Kim Kim or tadd fujikawa and Ayaka kaneko or Paula creamer or Natalie Gulbis or Morgan pressell and karrie webb with Annoucer and previous Golfer so That's my Thought's on this.
Tadd hasn't been doing well since turning pro.

Maybe they should have waited until they completed college.
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Ali`i

Here's the likely story as to why Michelle Wie skipped last week's Safeway International. Re-aggravated wrist injury??? Think again.

http://www.waggleroom.com/story/2008/4/4/95437/11314

Report: Wie Aiming for LPGA Membership in '09
By Mulligan Stu
Posted on Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 09:54:37 AM EDT

That's the good news, that Michelle Wie (and camp) has finally set her sights on joining the LPGA Tour, with a specific timetable. She wants to be on Tour in 2009.

How to get there? According to the current issue of Golf World (article not yet online), Wie's plan is the same as Stacy Lewis': get six exemptions, win enough money in those tournaments to finish the equivalent of 90th or better on the money list, and thereby earn a Tour card for 2009 without having to go to Q-School.

Stacy Lewis is healthy and her swing isn't messed up. Wie? She's probably healthy, although weak-wristed. Her swing definitely is not healthy.

And she's already used one of her exemptions, and didn't use it well: She made the cut at the Fields Open but finished last, earning only $2,570.

This plan might explain why Wie dropped out of the Safeway International
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Luna

Am I the only one who things Michelle Wie is overrated and overhyped? I mean it's great she was doing pretty good at a young age, but since then I haven't seen too much that would warrant her advertising contracts.

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyasu View Post
Am I the only one who things Michelle Wie is overrated and overhyped? I mean it's great she was doing pretty good at a young age, but since then I haven't seen too much that would warrant her advertising contracts.
The same could be said of Anna Kournikova in the tennis world.

So, you going stop supporting the local girl?
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
The same could be said of Anna Kournikova in the tennis world.

So, you going stop supporting the local girl?
Can't really say I'd "stop" supporting her, since I never really followed golf enough to really support anyone at all really.

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com