Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

Default Re: Disappearing establishments

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
I disagree about Liliha Street,
how does one disagree about liliha st?
if you mean you are in favor of redevelopment, esp. there, you simply have no idea what they are planning. The destruction of the strecth of businesses and the building up of gentrified ugly cheap characterless new buildings. So all those shops you mention will be gone. jane's fountain too. gone. bakeries. gone. L&L orig. Gone.
The street will no more resemble our liliha. It will look like anytown mainland USA.
damn shame.
damn shame about the apathy too.
damn shame young uns want a starphux and jambajooz on every block too.
ya want that kinda instant gratification convenience. go to the mainland.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Kumu

I recently got a phone call from an unidentified market research co. doing, well, call-out research.

I was asked if I am a local resident and at least 18 years old, which, of course, I am.

The questions were more detailed than this, but this is the gist of the survey:

The caller asked where I'd gone to shop in the past 6 months, and when I relayed my Windward-centric answers, she said those choices didn't appear on her sheet, so she would check "other." Hmm.

She asked which of these stores I had visited in the past 6 mos, and she started rattling off names of a bunch of haute couture and high-end retailers and I just laughed and said "no," with each one she listed.

I hope my honest answers (and others like mine) give whoever is doing the research -- a large, flashing dayglo CLUE about local residents' shopping habits.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Engle
I hope my honest answers (and others like mine) give whoever is doing the research -- a large, flashing dayglo CLUE about local residents' shopping habits.
won't stop the onslaught, erika. tho we are optimistic. Prolly was market research for
"Smaht Magazine"
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
won't stop the onslaught, erika. tho we are optimistic. Prolly was market research for
"Smaht Magazine"
So in one thread you tell HT to support the Weekly, because it's a local business and they need it.

In another, you bash Smart Magazine, because they're too worldly for your taste.

Two local publications, two different attitudes.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister
Ok. I'm sure nobody cares about the Goodyear franchise in Waimalu, but you might be interested in seeing what's replaced it.

I've forgotten the exact names, and I wasn't close enough to get them all, I suspect, but anyway: on the far left, a police storefront; then the Mail/pkg place that had been next to Subway; Mashies (or something like that); a Great American Bread store; Jamba Juice; Starbucks.
The Jamba Juice is now open even though it still looks like a construction site on either side. I wandered into the wine store (no unfermented juice for me!) and learned that they are doing wine tastings every Thursday evening that will feature five or six different wines. Our neighborhood is movin' on up. Wine Tasting Info
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palolo Joe
So in one thread you tell HT to support the Weekly, because it's a local business and they need it.

In another, you bash Smart Magazine, because they're too worldly for your taste.

Two local publications, two different attitudes.
I am an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a puzzle like a pig wrapped in a blanket.
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Kia`aina

Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

Pioneer Chicken in Salt Lake and Kahala.(i know there were other locations)

Church's Fried Chicken on Piikoi where the used car lot is now.

Chicken Alice's off of Kapiolani

Hana Chicken near the old Pearl Ridge theatres.

I mentioned Chico's in an earlier post.....they had good chicken too!

Speaking of fast food, anyone notice the Taco Bell on King and Keeaumoku shut down and the location up for lease? Wasn't thast one of the first Taco Bells in Hawaii?
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Kumu

Azeka`s Ribs and Snack Shop, calling it quits....
Azeka`s Store was one of only two stores in Kihei, the other being Suda Store
Both these store`s we`re popular for their grinds. Azeka`s its Ribs and Suda for the Chow Fun. Talk about plenty ole time shop`s closing down. Lucky still get Takamiya Market for get local kine grinds......

OGGBOY
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Kumu

[QUOTE=tvguy]Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

QUOTE]

There is an interview with Chicken Alice here ... as well as the recipe.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/16/features/story1.html
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

Speaking of fast food, anyone notice the Taco Bell on King and Keeaumoku shut down and the location up for lease? Wasn't thast one of the first Taco Bells in Hawaii?
Yeah, it closed a month ago, I talked to the manager said they had been at that location for 30 years, reason they had to close, their monthly rent tripled in value which they could not afford, so they closed. She said a medical facility is rumored to take over that spot, notice how the old KC Drive Inn is now a 4 to 5 story medical facility under construction. Heard rumors about the Medical Arts Building demise for years also, (perhaps this is its replacement?) so who knows maybe the old Taco Bell property we all ate tacos, instead you get your blood drawn there!

KalihiBoy
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

Pioneer Chicken in Salt Lake and Kahala.(i know there were other locations)

Church's Fried Chicken on Piikoi where the used car lot is now.

Hana Chicken near the old Pearl Ridge theatres.

I mentioned Chico's in an earlier post.....they had good chicken too!

did you know that there is a Church's Fried Chicken at Pearlridge mall?
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranBeree
did you know that there is a Church's Fried Chicken at Pearlridge mall?
Where?

And while we're on the topic of chicken, I recommend Dirty Lickin's in the Aiea Shopping Center.
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Where?

And while we're on the topic of chicken, I recommend Dirty Lickin's in the Aiea Shopping Center.
at the Pearlridge Mall, Food Court....the one that has Tilt, Macy's, Music Mac etc ..i think that's uptown.

oh and if you like Dirty lickins chicken wings...i could give you a copycat recipe if you feel like cooking.
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Banned

eh. errybody down waiks side...
loolooz goin ma-ke die, dead, bumbai, i heard.
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy
Yeah, it closed a month ago, I talked to the manager said they had been at that location for 30 years, reason they had to close, their monthly rent tripled in value which they could not afford, so they closed. She said a medical facility is rumored to take over that spot, notice how the old KC Drive Inn is now a 4 to 5 story medical facility under construction. Heard rumors about the Medical Arts Building demise for years also, (perhaps this is its replacement?) so who knows maybe the old Taco Bell property we all ate tacos, instead you get your blood drawn there!

KalihiBoy
what? it closed? wow. im not a big taco bell fan, but thats crazy. i know how difficult it is to find retail real estate nowadays, especially in that area after the superblock/walmart went up.

re: liliha - it is looking a bit dingy. what kind of plans do they have for it? being so close to the low income housings i dont imagine haute places going in on that street. i did notice a sign above masu's tho, i hope they arent going to go out of business.
the next street over, nuuanu is where my business was. theres been an increase in violence and prostitutes. is nuuanu=the new hotel street?
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbent
re: liliha - it is looking a bit dingy. what kind of plans do they have for it? being so close to the low income housings i dont imagine haute places going in on that street. i did notice a sign above masu's tho, i hope they arent going to go out of business.
the next street over, nuuanu is where my business was. theres been an increase in violence and prostitutes. is nuuanu=the new hotel street?
Eh, try explain moa about being close to low income housing. I live MWH. What does Housing got to do with not having "haute places?" Da nerve!

Your Kaka Gold?

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
what? it closed? wow. im not a big taco bell fan, but thats crazy.
that location never had a drive-thru... and i think it started to close earlier and earlier in recent months. so i'm not surprised it closed.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
what? it closed? wow. im not a big taco bell fan, but thats crazy. i know how difficult it is to find retail real estate nowadays, especially in that area after the superblock/walmart went up.

Hellbent... If you haven't been to that area recently...please go take a look...

I see a lot of nice new restaraunts popping up around the area.

And one of Oahu's most popular eateries is on Liliha st.... the good Old Liliha Bakery.
People drive from the richest areas of this island to go there.

and I myself commented to aunty at the HT picnic that her kalbi was the best ever... Thick, juicy...looked almost like steaks! Where she get em??? somewhere over there!
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Ali`i

im not saying low income housing is bad; my grandparents lived in kukui gardens, my fiances parents live there.

when i made that comment, i was thinking about when i was a kid and we bought some mcdonalds ice milk cones ($0.20!) then we walked down to liliha square to an arcade that was there and some mokes wanted a lick of our ice cream. we didnt even know them and i had to fight over my own ice cream. not everyone that lives in a low income place is ... i dunno... bad kine but thats my memory of liliha square.

i live near liliha, i go to masu's, liliha bakery, l&l, and pizza hut. im just saying that it could use a face lift. some improvements. when you say 'redevelopment' i am thinking of fancy shmancy places that liliha doesnt need, so dont take insult, i am agreeing with you.
btw, theres this japanese restaurant between golden coin and l&l, it always seems busy, anyone ever go there? is it good? hows the prices?
new restaurants? i'll have to look again. i see a little coffee shop that is never open.
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

Either Jane's Fountain or Yagura, both have good food at reasonable prices.
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
im just saying that it could use a face lift. some improvements. .
I am against the proletariat calling out for a neighborhood to improve and face lift. This has gotten the attention of polititians and developers to the extent 'redevelopment' destroys neighborhoods. Improvements are made within, by owners. Not by non owners. IF you don't like a neighborhood, and you view it as dingy, don't go there.
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
I am against the proletariat calling out for a neighborhood to improve and face lift. This has gotten the attention of polititians and developers to the extent 'redevelopment' destroys neighborhoods. Improvements are made within, by owners. Not by non owners. IF you don't like a neighborhood, and you view it as dingy, don't go there.
Yet when those same landowners go ahead and decide to remodel and rebuild, you don't hesitate to howl with indignation how "Old Hawaii" is disappearing.

You say outsiders shouldn't tell landowners what to do. But when landowners decide to rebuild, then it's okay for outsiders to bitch about it?
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Banned

dude. sorry but ya lost me at the middle of that first sentence.
headache inducing.
uuuuggghh.
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Ali`i

Default Goodbye Azeka's!

Wow...talk about being taken by surprise. Azeka's Ribs and Snack Shop in Kihei closed last week. No more chow fun, plate lunches and most of all, those onolicious ribs that were famous throughout the islands and on the Mainland.

I'm assuming just the food part of the store closed, and that the hardware part is still open. Still, it's kinda sad to hear that another venerable Maui institution---one that originally started out across from Kalama Park and ended up helping to spawn 2 shopping malls across from each other (which in some ways are considered the "heart" of Kihei), is now gone. I think the Azeka family sold the rib recipe to someone else (I've seen "Kihei style ribs" up here), but I don't think the name Azeka ribs will continue.

Miulang
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative-1
Yum Yum Tree just closed last year.

This is from a long time ago, but I used to go to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City in the 1970's. They've been gone a long time, but I could not recall just where they were.

Last week I was at the library and looked it up. It was 803 Kam Hwy. The building that holds Flamingo restaurant has that
address now. They say it was built in 1980.
Bob Sigall
After my Mom remarried we moved from Maui to Pearl City. This was in the late 1960's. I remember going to Blue Birds Drive-in. Not sure when it open. I know one year my brother who parked his car in front of the area when you could sit and eat your food. Thought he had is camaro in reverse and actually had it in drive and drove in through that area. Good thing it was at a time when not much people were eating there.

Right across the street where the the Zippys is now located was a place called Scotty's. A fast food take out joint like the rest of the places now days. Use to love their cheap hamburgers, fries, hotdogs, and malt shakes. This was open here when we first came to Oahu.