Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    I heard that Zippy's at one time planned to open in Kailua-Kona, but opposition by other businesses there derailed that.
    What other businesses? There's only Denny's. Everything else is catered for the tourists. And please don't tell me Uncle Billy's is competition. Zippy's would do very well on this island.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      As far as the Big Island goes, there's this rumor that Zippy's and Cafe 100 (here on the Big Island) had a gentleman's agreement not to compete here (in Hilo).

Zippy's would do very well at the Prince Kuhio Mall as Dotty's closed down last year leaving a big restaurant space available (and still vacant). Dotty's had a similar setting quite like Zippy's so I'm sure they could fit in very well.
      I wonder if there's some 100th Battalion connection between the Cafe 100 family and the Higa family, of Zippy's -- that would result in such a gentleman's agreement? Hmmm ...

Also, you prolly know by now, Craig, that IHOP is going into the old Dotty's space. It will be run by the Espinos -- the franchisees who have the Waikiki location and who are developing the WWMall location, following the Wests' inability to move forward in that spot.
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

To hell with that New Year's weight loss resolution. lol
        Weight loss resolution and food blog writing don't exactly compliment each other.

As far as Zippy's Chili goes....I gave it a shot, and tho' I don't eat alot of chili, it was pretty damn good. I wonder if it's available here.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Where is "here," Tikiyaki?

Lest I cause you to reveal something you'd prefer to hold close to the vest, if you're in the Pacific Northwest, Uwajimaya sells Zippy's chili frozen. I believe they also sell Zippy's curry the same way, in boil-in-bags.

Other mainland retailers may, as well, but I dunno.

However, Zippy's also does e-commerce -- though it's not what I'd consider cheap.

http://www.zippys.com/

L&L Hawaiian Barbecue also sells Hawaii food and beverage items at several mainland L&L locations. (I mean, in addition to plate lunches, such as frozen lau lau to take home.)

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
            Where is "here," Tikiyaki?
            Oops...Southern Cal. Burbank to be exact.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I didn't look up the Longs Web site, but maybe the Longs in your area (if there is one) also sells frozen Zippy's chili and curry?

If you find yourself a'Jonesin', it might be worth a Web-check and/or phone call.

Good luck!

Comment

Just ordered Zippy's chili and portuguese sausage via internet and am definitely disappointed. Paid more for 1 1/2 lbs of chile than I used to for 2 lbs just last summer.

Gonna have to try one of the Zippy's chili recipes to see if it'll work. I can't afford to get ripped off like that all the time! If not, I'll just do without.

Skyline is popular around here, but I just can't get into chili on spaghetti. I still get funny looks when I put chili, stew, or even just pork and beans on rice....lol

Comment

I finally got to try their Chili Moco plate. Well sort of. My friend ordered it for lunch today and gave me a sample section (cut out like a slice of pie) to try.

Here's the actual take-out plate, revealed in layers...

The layers of the dish from bottom to top:
                  Plate (for take-out): 8" diameter x 1-1/2" depth black plastic (with clear plastic lid)
                  1st Layer: White Rice
                  2nd Layer: Mayo'-based "Secret Mac Salad Sauce"
                  3rd Layer: (1) Hamburger Patty
                  4th Layer: Zippy's Chili (classic only)
                  5th Layer: (2) Eggs

Interestingly, you cannot substitute the type of Chili (bean, no bean, vegetarian), but you CAN order your eggs how you want it (sunny side, over easy, omelette or scrambled).

The most interesting component has to be the "Secret Mac Salad Sauce" (I made that name up), which is basically their Mac Salad without the Macaroni. It's shown as a close-up in the bottom-right photo. That may sound gross, but you know what? It really adds dimension and punches out the flavor of the nicely-grilled burger patty right above it. A standard Loco Moco doesn't employ this, so whoever thought of putting that in this dish is a plate lunch genius! lol

My friend opted for an omelette on top, but personally I'd have chosen two sunnyside-up eggs. Let that liquid, golden yolk drip all over. Yum.

I was thoroughly pleased with the combination of flavors. Enough that I just may order one the next time I head to Zippy's. At $5.45, the portions and value is just right. That's actually cheaper than most other plate lunches on Zippy's regular menu.

Supposedly the Chili Moco is only available for a limited time, but I'm guessing this will eventually join the regular menu list.

Thumbs up!

Now I'm heading down to the "Cholesterol" thread for some tips.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

wow thanks pomai for giving us a "sample" of the new zippy's chili moco. i was curious myself when i first saw the commercial. now that you were able to give us the "scoops" i may i have to sample it myself. and i must agree that zippy's has jacked up their prices and definitely cut back on the portions. my friends and i would always used to go eat zippy's on da weekends after drinkin..good times!!! it was a good place to go for a nice warm hearty meal eventhough would be like 3 or 4 in da mornin' hehehe. :P
                    ~Rubes~

Comment

Originally posted by Islandgirlrubes View Post
                      wow thanks pomai for giving us a "sample" of the new zippy's chili moco. i was curious myself when i first saw the commercial. now that you were able to give us the "scoops" i may i have to sample it myself. and i must agree that zippy's has jacked up their prices and definitely cut back on the portions. my friends and i would always used to go eat zippy's on da weekends after drinkin..good times!!! it was a good place to go for a nice warm hearty meal eventhough would be like 3 or 4 in da mornin' hehehe. :P
                      You're welcome.

Yeah, Zippy's prices and articulately-controlled portions push buttons sometimes, but they have the quality and consistency of local fast food down to a science. If they went public, I'd buy Zippy's stocks.

I have to admit, looking at that photo of the Chili Moco is making me one want now. lol
                      Last edited by Pomai; February 11, 2007, 02:37 PM. Reason: at, one
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        I finally got to try their Chili Moco plate. Well sort of. My friend ordered it for lunch today and gave me a sample section (cut out like a slice of pie) to try.
                        Funny, Cafe 100 in Hilo has been making something like this for years, except they put lil' smokies in it.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                          Funny, Cafe 100 in Hilo has been making something like this for years, except they put lil' smokies in it.
                          Isn't Cafe 100 of the 2 places in Hilo that like to claim to have invented the original loco moco?

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            Isn't Cafe 100 of the 2 places in Hilo that like to claim to have invented the original loco moco?

Miulang
                            Yes, they have so many different locos I lost count
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

I just had one of those Chili Mocos for dinner. I agree the mystery sauce on the rice is a winner.

Comment

Gee, makes me depressed....I'm either allergic to the ingrediments or I can't afford it!

Comment

Working...
                                X