This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reputation?

First off I am not concerned with my Reputation ranking. While it would be nice to have more points, I won't be sad if it went to zero, or even a negative value if that was possible (okay I be bad ). I am kind of wondering if the Reputation part is working correctly. Not that I have the power to fix it but rather to compare notes with others.

Secondly when Ryan said that you can view your Reputation status in Control Panels, I have been checking it very time I use HawaiiThreads.

When I saw it I had 15 points and the following three entries:

green square - Reputation? - April 21st, 2004 8:57 PM - Here's an example thread comment
    gray square - Reputation? - April 21st, 2004 7:46 AM
    green square - Friday night on the #9 ... - April 19th, 2004 10:59 PM

So today this entry shows up:

gray square - PDA's. Pocket PC's, Oh ... - April 29th 2004 11:39 PM

What's really strange is that my overall Reputation points is still at 15. It should have been at 14 if I assume that a gray square is not good sign or 16 if the color of the square means something else and again I haven't been on for over 90 days or made a 100 posts yet to offset what might be a bad reputation post. Unless of course making the various posting levels might also add a point to it?

Comment

Green square is a positive click. Grey square is a neutral click. Red square is a negative click. So, even if you have lots of grey squares, your total reputation points won't change.

The other reason numbers will be funny, again, is because some members' clicks will be worth more points than others.

If you're confused, don't worry, I'm learning about this along with you guys. There's a basic overview of the Reputation system in the FAQ, but it isn't nearly as detailed as your questions!

Comment

Originally posted by admin
        Green square is a positive click. Grey square is a neutral click. Red square is a negative click. So, even if you have lots of grey squares, your total reputation points won't change.
        Okay that makes sense. If I click on those entries in control panel it will take me to the post that I did. If I click on the balance scale icon, the posts that were marked by the green squares says my post were somewhat postive while the gray squares say it's even.

The other reason numbers will be funny, again, is because some members' clicks will be worth more points than others.
        So I guess since I started off with 10 points, between the 2 green square entries gave me the other 5 points.

If you're confused, don't worry, I'm learning about this along with you guys. There's a basic overview of the Reputation system in the FAQ, but it isn't nearly as detailed as your questions!
        Looked at the FAQ at least twice and it makes no references to the Reputation. Unless that section is only available to the administrator or moderator.

In the vBulletin FAQ I can see:

User Maintenance
        Why should I register?
        Does this forum use cookies?
        How do I clear my cookies?
        How can I change the information in my profile?
        What is the signature for?
        I lost my password, what can I do?
        How do I add a custom status to my profile?
        How do I get a picture under my username?
        What are the buddy and ignore lists?

General Forum Usage
        Can I search the forum?
        Can I send email to other members?
        What is Private Messaging?
        How do I use the Member List?
        How do I use the calendar?
        What are announcements?
        How do I rate a thread?
        What are referrals?
        What are the various thread display options?

Reading and Posting Messages
        Are there any special codes/tags I can use to markup my posts?
        What is email notification?
        What are smilies?
        Code Buttons and Clickable Smilies
        How do I create and vote in polls?
        What Are Attachments?
        What are message icons?
        Can I edit my own posts?
        What Are Moderators?
        Why have some of the words in my post been blanked

Comment

Hmm. There should have been something about it in the FAQ. Just for you, helen, I've written up a guide to the Reputation system. (I have no idea why it wasn't covered in the "stock" FAQ.) Let me know if anything's missing or unclear. Note that in putting it together, I learned some new things that haven't yet been covered in this thread.

Comment

Thanks for getting the FAQ updated to include the Reputation system. I guess I will wait and see what happens when I reach the point of a 100 posts (which I am over half way there ).

Of course this thread has helped in doing that.

Comment

Re: nuff arready of

Originally posted by kimo55
              is anyone else sick n tired of owen wilson's ubiquitous slit eye pucker face as much as i am? and his annoying low whisper dialogue delivery style.
              jeez. he's wearing out his welcome.
              You got a red mark on your post for *that*?? For voicing an opinion about a movie actor?

I think those reputation marks are for wimps. It's like leaving an anonymous note on someone's windshield. "I don't have to guts to say this to your face, so I'll leave this note, then run away and hide."

So Kimo gets a "bad reputation" mark because someone else is too chicken*** to actually state publicly that he/she disagrees with Kimo's assesment of Owen Wilson's charm. Nice.
              Last edited by admin; July 25, 2005, 11:46 AM. Reason: Split from thread in "The Big Picture."

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                You got a red mark on your post for *that*?? For voicing an opinion about a movie actor?

I think those reputation marks are for wimps. It's like leaving an anonymous note on someone's windshield. "I don't have to guts to say this to your face, so I'll leave this note, then run away and hide."

So Kimo gets a "bad reputation" mark because someone else is too chicken*** to actually state publicly that he/she disagrees with Kimo's assesment of Owen Wilson's charm. Nice.
                and this one, too,

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...0892#post30892

if you can believe that.
                snipers taking potshots.... dilutes the already dubious "reputation" grading system to irrelevancy.

Comment

Reputation is linked to the user, not to the post.

The system is designed to prevent one person from having a noticable effect on another user's reputation. (You can't repeatedly give a positive or negative score, and your scores are weighted by your own reputation). It is a community-based measure of credibility and respect. And since you actually earn points simply by remaining a member and posting messages (without anyone using the Reputation system at all), it would take some pretty adverse circumstances to have your score actually go down from the 10 you get automatically the day you sign up.

I would respectfully submit that Kimo's post on Owen Wilson was probably not a key part of his current Reputation score.

Let's keep discussion of the 'Reputation' system in its own thread.

Comment

I would respectfully submit that Kimo's post on Owen Wilson was probably not a key part of his current Reputation score.
                    but these, quizically are;

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...2034#post32034
                    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...2151#post32151

Comment

Oh I always wondered what that square is. I thought it meant whether or not that person was online.

Comment

Let's see... a chest-thumping post where you call someone a cholo, and another where you attribute Jodi Leong's stage presence to gastrointestinal distress. I fail to see the problem.

Mind you, the latter might for others' simply be a playful, joking post. But within the context of your overall behavior on the board, I can see how someone might easily take it as malicious.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          I fail to see the problem.
                          apparently I fail, too.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                            Oh I always wondered what that square is. I thought it meant whether or not that person was online.
                            No, the little circle right after your name shows whether you're online.

I still can't figure out what the relationship is between the number of green squares and your reputation. Most people have one green square, some have two. Kimo is one of the only posters to have a red square.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                              Nah! That's what the round dot is for!

We're all about the abstract shapes, here, y'know.

Fortunately, if you hover your mouse cursor over various elements, most of the time you'll see some kind of explanation pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                Fortunately, if you hover your mouse cursor over various elements, most of the time you'll see some kind of explanation pop up.
                                Hey, did that hover-over thing always work? I never noticed it before. Cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X