Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > GPS Talk > Talkstory > Eponymous
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 9th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Haumana

Default Kalihi Krap

Hey. I haven't been on this website in a LONG time. But I'm looking for your opinion/suggestions. What do you guys think of all this nano diarrhea that has emerged in Kalihi?
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Kalihi Krap

Neva look...
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Kia`aina

Unhappy Re: Kalihi Krap

Not going there at all to look.
I'm wondering if those nanos come in a 10 pack or 12 pack? Just counting right now to see when they might run out.....
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Haumana

I guess the best approach to the "KK" (Kalihi Krap) geocaches is to "DNF them regularly" or just not even try to find them at all.
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Kia`aina

All summed up here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...=GC3ME85&log=y

Of course if you believe that the only purpose geocaching is to hide things for people to find...then "the language of location" may be lost on you.

jrr
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Haumana

Apparently, I got many people upset with my log this morning. So I amended it.
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ali`i

I try to put caches in an interesting place. And I've put up a bazillion over the years. No nanos, but always in a place w/a view or historical place.

BTW I'm thinking of abandoning my Ko`olau Summit caches. Don't think I'm gonna be summiting anymore. It's getting toughter to do those 12 mile round trips as I slowly age. LOL
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:03 AM
Haumana

I got a lot of the newer cachers really upset with me using the word "georrhea." I answered one cacher in particular to take a look at the caches by some of the more veteran cachers. They take you to place where you may not normal go or give you some insight to the things that we pass by everyday and don't really notice. Seems like Hawaii is becoming like the mainland with a nano at every retail store or parking lot. There is so much more to geocaching.
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Kia`aina

Yep that mainland "a geocache in every parking lot" has come here. We have taken a renewed interest in Letterboxing....

Seriously there used to be about 100 caches on island we hadn't found, (about half of which we'll never find), but the others we couldn't wait to go look for. Now there are over 200 but it wouldn't bother me if most were archived before I ever looked. *sigh*

jrr

PS: For me Geocaching is about both going places and finding things. Seems the pendulum has swung way over to just "finding things."
PPS: It may be hard to appreciate the view/cultural significance/amusing feature in the middle of the night.
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Ali`i

Post Re: Kalihi Krap

I also agree with what has been written in this thread.

A side note would be my feeling down about the proliferation of puzzle caches too.
Just truly not interested in having to spend time online researching answers in order to complete the puzzle. Or worse yet is when it's not even a 'puzzle', don't even know where to start with some of this stuff. Of course this has affected my placing caches because the last two I tried (long ago now) were too near a puzzle cachesite.

Just my opinion. Carry on...
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Haumana

Suggest to look at the logs for today's newest cache:
GC3N0KC
"THIS USED TO BE MY PLAYGROUND"
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...c-55bb1f7d58ab.
As a result of today's events, the cache owner has inactivated all 29 of his caches.
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ali`i

29 caches placed in 2 months - looks like a land grab, folks!

I happen to have really enjoyed almost every 'puzzle' cache I've found.

A cache placement should require about a month of preparation work before requesting activation. Part of the prep work is confirming with the approval authority that the locations are not infringing or disallowed. Another aspect is security (from muggles or the elements) - it should be left in place for a couple weeks before activation to insure the placement is viable.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Ali`i

Look at the latest O`ahu caches. To many micros. Why would I want to go to "that" shopping center?????????????????
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
29 caches placed in 2 months - looks like a land grab, folks!

I happen to have really enjoyed almost every 'puzzle' cache I've found.

A cache placement should require about a month of preparation work before requesting activation. Part of the prep work is confirming with the approval authority that the locations are not infringing or disallowed. Another aspect is security (from muggles or the elements) - it should be left in place for a couple weeks before activation to insure the placement is viable.
Yes a land grab! Makes me want to put out a 100 stage multi from the end of H1 through Hawaii Kai so none of the new ones end up anywhere near my home coordinates!
jrr
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Haumana

Looks like something other than a land grab.

Read the description of this newest cache at the Best Buy parking lot in Iwilei.
It shows a lot of "emotion" from this cacher.

Time to back off ?

GC3NGQV
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-f296693fc3e8
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Ali`i

If 'emotion' is a euphemism for instability, I agree. Someone ought to put a lid on that manhole, before one of us falls in...
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Kia`aina

Marcas_Found posted the following on the National Forums, but he can't post here, though he can read the posts. Does anyone remember who you have to ask to get permission to post here?

[quote name='Marcas_Found' ']
I've been mulling over addressing a specific subject that kind of has my "knickers in a twist" the last couple of days over a disclaimer appearing on a specific CO's new caches.

The disclaimer reads (sorry, its long):

The Disclaimer:

"Stealth! Stealth! Stealth!

Just because a GeoCache has been placed here, that does not give a Cacher the right to disrupt the regular flow of events that take place at this location!

Be Stealthy!

Have some class and courtesy for the people who utilize this area for other reasons than caching!

Be Stealthy!

Use your James Bond skills and...

Be Stealthy!

This is NOT Aiea Loop Trail! You will be IN THE CITY! There are many people here!

Be Stealthy!

There are people watching you! Because you are IN THE CITY! BE AWARE OF THEM!

Be Stealthy!

Don't screw it up for the next Cacher because you allowed the cache to be discovered by non-cachers!

Be Stealthy!

Some Cachers want the FTF more than life itself, but DON'T BE SELFISH and compromise the cache for EVERYONE, FOREVER to get YOUR FTF!

Be Stealthy!

Be Stealthy!

Be Stealthy!

If you have a problem with the Cache and/or its placement, please message me PERSONALLY so I may take care of it. DO NOT use the cache log as a forum about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem. Remember, being a Geocacher DOES NOT give you the right to invade other people's space and ignore their ways of life; get to know the environment before you begin! DO NOT be a Cache Jerk and complain about and/or insult this cache or my other caches on someone else's cache log! That just demonstrates you have absolutely no class at all and you are bringing down the level of the entire caching community! As stated before, if there are problems, have some class, message me PERSONALLY and keep the log positive!

If you have a problem with the suggestions I have mentioned above, then I suggest you refrain from going after this cache. IT IS HARD! (That's why I rated it a 3!) Not because you have to climb a mountain, put on scuba gear or do anything Indiana Jones would need to do; it's hard because people are watching you! And...not everyone agrees with GeoCaching and it's ethic; and others may simply not want a stranger (you) roaming around in their neighborhood searching psychotically for "something"! What ever the reason, respect, respect, respect and...

Be Stealthy!

Lastly, NO, I did NOT call the Mayor, the Director of the City Planning Office, the Director of Parks and Recreation, the Director of the State Parks Service or the PUC to get a permit to place this cache on public (City or State) property (i.e. hiking trail, botanical garden, nature preserve, beach, telephone pole, guard rail, under a telephone booth, on a sign, under a bench, on a tree, in a bush, etc.). So if a Police Officer, Park Ranger or City Official comes up to you (because you forgot to use Respect and/or Stealth) and asks you what you are doing (searching in the bushes, pulling caps off metal post, pulling weeds out from the ground and then digging the ground after, feeling-up telephone poles, passionately examining rocks, staring really-really hard at a wall for 45-minutes with your 5000 lumen flashlight while pulling out every rock and putting you finger into every hole in said wall, digging out 10 year old cigarette butts to examine them intently all the while reading something psychotically on your phone, texting and calling random people, screaming out "I CAN'T FIND IT! HELP ME!"...basically acting like someone on CRACK), after explaining to the Officer that you are not, in fact, on drugs, the Officer tells you that no permission was given and you have to take the cache down. Just remove the cache and message me PERSONALLY so I may retrieve my stuff from you and archive the cache. And again...Don't whine about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem in the cache log!

I believe, if this cache is discovered using Respect and Stealth, you shouldn't have a problem with it!"

The (short) background for those that do not know, is that this CO has been placing a plethora of nanos and has incurred indirect negative feedback from other local cachers.

My issues with this disclaimer:

- I am amazed that the reviewer let this go through. To me it reads with a negative vibe from start to finish and is not what I would expect from any geocacher.

- I feel like I'm being talked down to, as if I have no clue on how to cache. (Yes I am going to go there and it is NOT about a pecking order) This comes from a CO with less than 200 finds who is berating a caching community who (for the most part) has more experience and caches under their belt than the CO. Experience does matter in finding AND hiding a cache.

- First sentence from the disclaimer (excluding "be stealthy" lines): "Just because a Geocache has been placed here, that does not give a Cacher the right to disrupt the regular flow of events that take place at this location!" Shouldn't the cache hider be thinking the same thing when they hide the cache?

- Quote "If you have a problem with the Cache and/or its placement, please message me PERSONALLY so I may take care of it. DO NOT use the cache log as a forum about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem." Cachers are going to write about their experiences with any cache. Subtle clues in write ups are words like "the coords seemed soft", "it took me a while" and "I had to read the logs to figure it out..." that usually indicate there may be a problem. If there are blatant comments, then the caching community is probably trying to say something. Its feedback whether a CO likes it or not.

- To follow on the previous point (one example), if you hide a cache directly below a business's 9 foot by 9 foot window with people a mere foot away, cachers are going to get busted by muggles.

- Quote "being a Geocacher DOES NOT give you the right to invade other people's space and ignore their ways of life; get to know the environment before you begin!" Shouldn't the cache hider be thinking the same thing when they place the cache?

- Quote "DO NOT be a Cache Jerk and complain about and/or insult this cache or my other caches on someone else's cache log!" Several of the recent caches that I have placed have those comments in the logs...that was the point. I was hoping to inspire the younger cachers while giving the older cachers a fun experience as well. I guess that point was missed in some but picked up by others. And it is not a "holier than thou" position, it is souly an attempt to make our geocaching community better.

- Quote "others may simply not want a stranger (you) roaming around in their neighborhood searching psychotically for "something"! What ever the reason, respect, respect, respect and..." Again, shouldn't the CO be thinking the same when they place a cache?

- Quote "Don't whine about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem in the cache log!" Nanos in a dense urban environment vs. a regular cache hidden up on a trail in the mountains. Which cache has more exposure to cachers AND muggles AND which one is going to be hunted more? Simple percentages say that these types of urban caches are going to get muggled more.

Sorry Dude, If you're comfortable enough to publish such a disclaimer then you should be comfortable enough to take feedback. I don't think I've even met you so I'm definitely not attacking you as a person, but I have issues with your comments and do not think it healthy for our caching community to let them slide by without comment.
[/quote]
Old June 18th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Haumana

To add to Salmoned's note...
Yes, I think were are dealing with a a cacher who has been infected with virulent strain of "negative" geocachitis. Time for an LP to check the CSF?
And I think that I may get pushed into that manhole if I don't keep looking behind myself.
Things are obviously getting get too personal.
Best approach ?
Encourage all to avoid these caches. Stay far away. Stay safe.
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Haumana

I mentioned that there must be a virulent strain of "geocachitis" in the community. Look at this new cache, ROCK THE BOAT, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-6811a94ca002.
Clearly it is in Ke'ehi Lagoon, yet the cache description was for "Kewalo Basin.".
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Kia`aina

Interesting, when that cache first came out this was the entire description: (thanks to GSAK)

"Food, Drink and Boats.

Rock Them All!"

At least now he is trying to add a meaningful description...too bad it is not quite accurate.

jrr