KITV? what's that?
    it the

All Kittens, All the time

channel

Comment

Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 2

Originally posted by kimo55
      it the All Kittens, All the time channel
      Heh. I watch primarily KITV and KHON, but even though I TiVo the "lighter" 5 p.m. newscasts for KITV, sometimes they do get a bit too goofy. Dick's occasionally odd health segments I can handle, and I like Ruby too much to be snarky about the cooking bits. But "pets on set" is so stereotypically bad "local affiliate news" fluff, I only watch in case there's a noteworthy animal blooper. And my wife can't stand Gary and Pamela's domestic shtick. Casual banter is fine, but when they get too comfortable, it's like watching your married friends have a fake squabble, where every pause and smile is an inside joke.

Oh, and of course, their movie reviews, which are basically: "Well, you didn't like it, but I liked it."

But KITV does "real" and breaking news quite well, and I like their investigative reporting. I think the only local news I don't include in my channel surfing is KGMB.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        And my wife can't stand Gary and Pamela's domestic shtick.
        It's not just that. Lots of things about KITV bug me. Pamela tends to ov-er-en-un-ci-ate ev-er-y syllable. It sounds like she's talking to a very small child sometimes.

Then there's the daily "Everything is KILLING YOU" report. Wine is good for you. No, wait. Wine is bad for you. No, wine WILL GIVE YOU A HEART ATTACK! Every day, some new piece of information about research that somehow contradicts something some other guy found out a few weeks ago.

And the movie segment on Fridays. Don't get me started.

But I do love Aunty Ruby.

Comment

Originally posted by idvfilms
          As of late KGMB is where I have been watching. Good anchors, great set, good lighting, superb graphics, and fast paced.

whoa whoa whoa what about KGMB's reporters?

Its not like the newscasts materialize out of thin air you know?

*a couple are my friends as you can tell

Comment

I get up, make my coffee and watch KITV 4 Early Morning News!
            (Hi Ben!)

In the evening, if no moa Yobo Movie on - I watch KHON 2 or KGMB 9.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I like KITV's Pets on Set. It's light, it's informal, it is a public service for the last 4 minutes or so of the newscast. As things go, the 5PM news on all the local channels are a bit on the lighter side, so things like Aunty Ruby's cooking segment, health reports, movie reviews, Mixed Plate and Pets on Set totally fit.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                But KITV does "real" and breaking news quite well, and I like their investigative reporting. I think the only local news I don't include in my channel surfing is KGMB.
                I’m disappointed in your mentality, Ryan. Especially after the comment about “breaking” news. The other night, KGMB was the only station who had the story about the 36 dead hammerhead sharks washing up on the beach in Kahalu‘u. The other stations didn’t have it until the next day. I thought Stacy Loe’s exclusive coverage yesterday (Wednesday 5/31) of the Stoneridge towing contract scandal with the city was nothing to sneeze at either. They’re really the only ones giving KITV serious competition in terms of “real” and “breaking news” these days.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                  I’m disappointed in your mentality, Ryan.
                  My mentality? Because I don't watch KGMB? There are only so many hours in a day, TuNnL. Truth be told I don't watch KHNL very often, either.

I'm sure every station gets a scoop now and then. And most stations probably have very good, aggressive, talented reporters. So what station one watches can largely be a matter of taste.

Some folks love Joe Moore, others can't stand 'em. (Even folks who can't stand him watch him.) Idvfilms is a big fan of KGMB's presentation, while I find the tone ("Severe Weather Station!" and other threat-based reporting) and pacing off-putting. I have a preference for hard news and investigative reporting, yet I watch KITV with its cute kittens and Gary/Pamela domestic schtick. I often tune to KHNL only for the entertainment factor -- to see the quintessential "local broadcast news affiliate" model in action, with clipped language, quick cuts, and cheesy sound effects.

I'm sure KGMB does good work, and their strong showing in the ratings lately probably reflects that. Maybe I'll flip over there now and then (especially if KHON's post-sale quality continues to slide), but for now my "mentality" just doesn't mesh with their overall package. It's nothing personal.

Comment

Ryan:
                    I used to never watch KGMB. I used to only watch KITV for the same reasons you do: they have really great reporters (Daryl, Keoki, Catherine Cruz, among others), and Gary & Pamela with their customized segments of Pacific Adventures and Mixed Plate, respectively. My 4-year-old likes Robert Kekaula. I've seen him at Sam's Club with his family and the kids go crazy when they spot the big guy. Imagine him on his motorcycle! I quit watching KITV so much when they made the mistake of letting Kathy Muneno go.

But, I have to say that KGMB tries harder. They really do. And it seems like an honest station to me. I feel like KHON rests on its laurels, KHNL rests on NBC's laurels, and KITV doesn't count on its network affiliation to boost its credibility, instead it delivers solid investigations.

In a few days KHNL will be doing their broadcast from the Pride of Hawaii (or one of those ships). For Norwegian Cruise Lines, that's great. But I just hate watching news anchors gush. The last straw for me was when they did the Dave & Busters broadcasts. The happy talk is way to distracting from the news of fires, fatalities and fraud.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

When I watch the evening news, I typically watch KHON (yeah I can't stand Moore but I watch him). It's the content not the messenger I listen to.

But if it's late breaking, I always tune into KGMB because they're always the first to report it.

KITV is more like a leisure suit to me. It works well but it doesn't stand out as the best or the worst...just very consistant.

If it's a slow news day I'll tune into KITV. If it's something that is happening internationally or nationally then it's KHON because Joe covers the international and national news with a slant on local effect. But if somthing big happened in Hawaii, then its KGMB because they're out there.

KHNL? Hmmm I think Howard Dashesfsky needs someone else to do his makeup. He looks so garrish under their extremely bright studio lights. Now I know where he gets his fine tan from. But I like KHNL only because of Stuart Chang (class mate) and Marvin Benconsejo (did my wedding at Studebakers when he was at KHON)

I like KGMB because of Stacey Loe (good friend) and because she's just a great gal to talk to...broke a lot of hearts when she got married. I like Julia Norton Dennis because we worked together at CC at one time. Now that's one hard working reporter. I remember when she worked so hard for Dave Curtis when he was the news director at KSSK she threw up from exhaustion. Now is that dedication or what! Glad the carpet cleaners came in over the weekend!

Quite honestly I don't know anybody at KITV.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        [...]I remember when she worked so hard for Dave Curtis when he was the news director at KSSK she threw up from exhaustion. Now is that dedication or what! Glad the carpet cleaners came in over the weekend![...]
                        Yikes! They're poopin' in one thread and pukin' in this one!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          I like KHNL only because of Stuart Chang (class mate) and Marvin Benconsejo (did my wedding at Studebakers when he was at KHON)
                          Stuart's at UH now, with Sports Marketing, I think.
                          I know our Sports Dept. reported on his new gig awhile back.
                          Last edited by Erika Engle; June 1, 2006, 01:23 PM. Reason: Adding detail.
                          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                            But, I have to say that KGMB tries harder. They really do. And it seems like an honest station to me. I feel like KHON rests on its laurels, KHNL rests on NBC's laurels, and KITV doesn't count on its network affiliation to boost its credibility, instead it delivers solid investigations.
                            That's an interesting way to frame things, Lavagal. I can see where you're coming from. KHON seems content to be itself, simply because (for now) that's enough. KHNL revels in the peacock logo and cutting-edge swooshy graphics and sound. KITV does seem to stand apart, a complement to (but not a coattail rider of) ABC News. And if KGMB works similarly with CBS, I might have to give them a second look.
                            In a few days KHNL will be doing their broadcast from the Pride of Hawaii (or one of those ships). For Norwegian Cruise Lines, that's great. But I just hate watching news anchors gush. The last straw for me was when they did the Dave & Busters broadcasts.
                            Eesh. Sadly, pretty much every station sells out now and then. Just last night, KITV must've spent a good four minutes reporting on, then bantering about, Dixie Grill and its "crab fest" promotion. I mean, I love Dixie Grill, and crab for that matter, but someone, somewhere must be grinning ear to ear over that coverage. They used to say you can't buy advertising better than that... but you figure someone must've tried.

Mind you, there's a place for gushing and banter and shameless plugs and excessive personality. It's called the morning news.

Comment

Hmmm. I will try to dumb this down.

KHNL makeovers:

Stephanie Lum: Yum Yum

Sharie Shima: Frank De Lima (In Drag)

I think I was successful.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                                In a few days KHNL will be doing their broadcast from the Pride of Hawaii (or one of those ships). For Norwegian Cruise Lines, that's great. But I just hate watching news anchors gush. The last straw for me was when they did the Dave & Busters broadcasts. The happy talk is way to distracting from the news of fires, fatalities and fraud.
                                I happened to catch KHNL yesterday (6/3) to experience some of that “local network affiliate flair” Ryan mentioned. I have to say, it was truly disgusting.

Not the local stuff mind you. The fact that News8 spent nearly their entire show gushing about the Pride of Aloha. Granted it’s the weekend when often there’s not a lot going on. But geeezz!!! Talk about a 30-minute commercial hosted by Dash and Chunky Brewster! At one point, I checked the t.v schedule, just to make sure I wasn’t watching an infomercial!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X