"You Learn Something Every Day"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "You Learn Something Every Day"

Today I learned that in stage lighting, calcium oxide, or lime, is heated to incandescence to produce light. Hence the term, "limelight".

Comment

But did you know Botswana, Africa is Hawaii's antipode? Not China
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
        Today I learned that in stage lighting, calcium oxide, or lime, is heated to incandescence to produce light. Hence the term, "limelight".
        Good one. Next time you see a stage performance, look up at the lights. You'll usually two types: short lights with wide diamaters, usually closer to the stage and aimed at steeper angles, and longer lights with narrow diameters, usually much further back and aimed at more gradual angles.

The short ones are called Fresnels and are used for area-lighting, especially with softer definition, as when only half the stage needs to be lit, or a specific spot in the back.

The long ones are called ellipsoidals, though I've sometimes heard them called ellipticals (a name I prefer); they light areas with a more sharply defined edge and usually a much longer "throw."

Just a little bit of bonus info. I'll bet Helen knows a lot more than that.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Wow! Just now I learned alot more about lighting than I was expecting to today.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
            Wow! Just now I learned alot more about lighting than I was expecting to today.
            Like you I have been enlightened
            A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I also learned on the same day that a raspberry, or the "pppttthhhbbtth" sound you make with your tongue, is called so because it evolved from Cockney rhyming slang. It's short for "raspberry tart", and "tart" rhymes with...well, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
                I also learned on the same day that a raspberry, or the "pppttthhhbbtth" sound you make with your tongue, is called so because it evolved from Cockney rhyming slang. It's short for "raspberry tart", and "tart" rhymes with...well, you know.
                Errr... "audible art"? "Sounding real smart"?

Comment

George Carlin called it the bi-labial fricative. But you know George - no sense of humor, that one.

Comment

Today I learned that Parrotfish can change sex!

For the most part...they start out as females and at a larger size turn into males.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      Today I learned that Parrotfish can change sex!

For the most part...they start out as females and at a larger size turn into males.
                      That's gotta suck. Just when you get to a point in life where you understand yourself, BAM!!! you're something else!

Comment

But can you imagine being an older male that really understands younger females?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
                          But can you imagine being an older male that really understands younger females?

Jeez you can be a sexual/child molester all wrapped up in one package!

Comment

I just learned how inefficient the human body is! I'd always thought of it as quite an amazing creation. Craig countered that with some interesting info!

Comment

I learned via my children, who are young adults,

Truth cannot be told it has to be discovered..........isn't that the truth!!!!

Aloha Makani

Comment

Can you imagine being bitten by a flake?

"Flake is Aussie for shark, and remains a popular batter-fried fast food today"

http://adventures.yahoo.com/b/adventures/adventures5249

Comment

Working...
                                X