Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michelle Wie

Originally posted by Nords View Post
    Gosh, I guess using the wrong name does totally invalidate the point I was trying to make-- never mind.

It makes just as much sense as correlating a golfer's tournament performance with how far away they're allowed to get from their card before they sign it. But hey, if that rule is important to the sanctity of the sport then she'll learn to remember it. Or, inferring from some of the other comments, someone will remember to remind her to follow it...
    The fact that you used the wrong name had nothing to do with invalidating your point. I only mentioned it to illustrate that your views seemed to be those of a non-golfer's. I hope you took no offense from it, as none was intended.

Your point, if I infer correctly, is that "your average tournament director" would treat Tiger Woods or John Daly differently had they been in the exact same situation as Michelle was. My point is that he/she would not have.

My post was an effort to explain the ruling from a golf perspective. To many of you the Rules of Golf may make no sense; I can assure you that most golfers would agree with you on at least some of them. But again, these rules are in established in black and white with no gray areas in between; therefore, it's hard to have a subjective ruling. You'll never hear a golfer complain that he/she lost a tournament because of bad officiating.

Comment

Forgive me all...but is it a known possibility....googled it and it was news in month of March....that MW was dating??? cking out someone?? I know of some wahines locally that DO get "thrown off" abit cuz they have been on the dating scene....when you get hung up with someone, all you think of is THEM and ALL your concentration blanks out.... IF SO, she better wake up NOW and her "bf" better wise up and stop buggin her...cuz this possible distraction just cost her a potential victory and honors for another local athlete!!!

Comment

• She's gotta have a life besides golf!

She needs some distraction to help mellow out from the stress that must be on a kid in these situations, and growing up in general. It's been all golf and parents. Time to enjoy life without the same old crap. So what if her golf slips a little, she'll get it back.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Yeah! I was thinking this was a repeat offense too, and that her caddy will pay. But she has to accept the blame as well this time, and just focus on getting on with it.
          AFAIK, she didn't blame her caddy this time.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
            Forgive me all...but is it a known possibility....googled it and it was news in month of March....that MW was dating??? cking out someone?? I know of some wahines locally that DO get "thrown off" abit cuz they have been on the dating scene....when you get hung up with someone, all you think of is THEM and ALL your concentration blanks out.... IF SO, she better wake up NOW and her "bf" better wise up and stop buggin her...cuz this possible distraction just cost her a potential victory and honors for another local athlete!!!

What does her social life have got to do with golf? Is this a double standard? Tiger Wood is allowed to date and eventually get married, but heaven forbids Michelle Wie to have a social life?

Do you know ... with hard corroborating evidence ... about her BF that I don't?

Comment

I know I going get good licking . . . BUT this is an MW thread.

Here goes: maybe there should be a posting on this DQ in the "Stoopidess Person of da Day" thread. *ducks thrown stone*
              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Professional male golfers have done the same, but me thinks this girl has some negative energy around her. Prolly from all the jealous female pros throwing daggers because of all the attention and exemptions she's been gettin.

Comment

She was reportedly dating Robin Lopez, who along with his twin brother played basketball for Stanford. Apparently she denied it a few months ago, but who really knows? In any event, I have a hard time believing that any romantic interest would be the reason for her mistake last weekend.

One of the more tragic consequences about Michelle's DQ is that she'll once again be criticized and resented by many for making headlines for not succeeding. It's kind of a vicious cycle: She gets bad press for the fact that she hasn't won any event in four years, however that press itself is somewhat self-perpetuating. It's a shame this will add more fuel to the fire, just when she was playing her best golf in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                    She was reportedly dating Robin Lopez, who along with his twin brother played basketball for Stanford. Apparently she denied it a few months ago, but who really knows? In any event, I have a hard time believing that any romantic interest would be the reason for her mistake last weekend.

One of the more tragic consequences about Michelle's DQ is that she'll once again be criticized and resented by many for making headlines for not succeeding. It's kind of a vicious cycle: She gets bad press for the fact that she hasn't won any event in four years, however that press itself is somewhat self-perpetuating. It's a shame this will add more fuel to the fire, just when she was playing her best golf in two years.
                    Sports are always about criticisms. That's why I don't participate.

Comment

I wonder if BJ Wie is thinking about tatooing the message, "Remember to sign your scorecard!" on the back of Michelle's left hand. That way, she'll have a surefire reminder at the end of every round when she takes off her golfing glove.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        I wonder if BJ Wie is thinking about tatooing the message, "Remember to sign your scorecard!" on the back of Michelle's left hand. That way, she'll have a surefire reminder at the end of every round when she takes off her golfing glove.
                        I can see Wie's fans holding up such a big reminder sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          On her big earrings, One side says, "Sign" and the other says, "Scorecard."

Comment

• Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

What do you guys think? Should she just stay and play with the ladies or continue to play against the men? And this is not the first time Sorenstam has talked smack about Wie...what's up with that?!

From the Associated Press:
                            LPGA veterans question why Wie is skipping major for PGA Tour event

Michelle Wie skipped a major to play on the PGA Tour this week. Annika Sorenstam, Helen Alfredsson and Paula Creamer wonder why.

After all, Wie has yet to win on the women’s tour and has never made the cut on the PGA Tour.

Wie, who is managed by her parents, was listed in qualifying for the Women’s British Open at Sunningdale. But she pulled out and instead has a sponsor’s exemption for the Legends Reno-Tahoe Open at Reno, Nev. It is her eighth PGA Tour event.

Sorenstam is playing in her final major before she leaves golf at the end of the season. She is chasing her 11th major and 73rd title. She made a brief foray on the PGA Tour but questioned Wie’s decision to duck a women’s major.

“Well, we all have different agendas in life,” Sorenstam said. “I had a wonderful experience and, when I look back on my career, I will always think about that. I think it was really a turning point in my career and as a person.

“I really don’t know why Michelle continues to do this. We have a major this week and, if you can’t qualify for a major, I don’t see any reason why you should play with the men.”
                            Last edited by admin; July 30, 2008, 07:34 PM. Reason: Do not copy and paste full articles. Excerpt and provide link.

Comment

• Re: Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

Who wants to be in a club that will disqualify you during a tournament for a manini penalty?

Comment

• Re: Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                Who wants to be in a club that will disqualify you during a tournament for a manini penalty?
                                I dunno. Were similar incident happened to other mainland golfers that should have been enforced (i.e., disqualification) but rarely do?

If so, then you could argue that the golfing commmunity single out Wie.

But I'm of the mindset that having parents being her managers is like putting a gun to one's head.

Comment

Working...
                                X