Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf Peers Sound Off On Wie's Decision

While it is true that it's a manini rule, she had to know going in that the rule existed and has no one to blame but herself for the DQ.
    Golf has tons of stupid rules that still exist today for no other reason than what the golfing community calls "Tradition".
    GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

• Re: Michelle Wie

She choked again!!
      GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

at least another hawaii star, parker, was the leader this afternoon and shot/tied the course record.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          That's the thing with sports, isn't it? Either she wins or we ignore her, local girl or not. Either you're something or you're nothing. Sums up the Aloha spirit.
          She should get the same "Aloha spirit" the other Hawaii athletes get. Which is just a short mention on the news. Its slowly getting to that point but it took a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
            She should get the same "Aloha spirit" the other Hawaii athletes get. Which is just a short mention on the news. Its slowly getting to that point but it took a few years.
            The overhype that gave her headline stories with bigger pictures than the actual tourney leaders,... yep, that seems to be a thing of the past. Maybe you are right. In the future, her accomplishments will receive short blurbs in the local press, unless she does something extraordinary to merit coverage.

But I don't think she will ever completely fade into the company of other local golfers, like Tad Fujikawa, Parker McLachlin, Dean Wilson, and Stephanie Kono. Expectations were high for Michelle, and the millions of endorsement dollars she received are a constant reminder. Unless she dramatically turns things around, the word "disappointment" will begin to follow her.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I know this is tangential, but I was researching Hawaii's first top female golfer, Codie Austin Cooke, today for my third book and thought you might be interested in her. She was also a Punahou phenom.

The top female golfer of the 1930s, Codie Austin Cooke, began playing golf at the age of five…barefooted. With the help of the Oahu Country Club pro, Alex Bell, Codie blossomed into the top female golfer in the islands by the age of 14.

She captured the Territorial Women’s Tournament in 1934 by 12 strokes, even though she was just a freshman at Punahou. She won the tournament the following three years as well.

Today, the pioneer of women’s golf in Hawaii, Codie Austin Cooke, is still a member of the Oahu Country Club. The 87 year old walks five miles early each weekday morning from her home near Iolani School to downtown where she catches a bus to the Oahu Country Club. She’ll walk another five miles going home.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                The overhype that gave her headline stories with bigger pictures than the actual tourney leaders,... yep, that seems to be a thing of the past. Maybe you are right. In the future, her accomplishments will receive short blurbs in the local press, unless she does something extraordinary to merit coverage.

But I don't think she will ever completely fade into the company of other local golfers, like Tad Fujikawa, Parker McLachlin, Dean Wilson, and Stephanie Kono. Expectations were high for Michelle, and the millions of endorsement dollars she received are a constant reminder. Unless she dramatically turns things around, the word "disappointment" will begin to follow her.
                OTOH, maybe I'm wrong. Check out this editorial from the Star-Bulletin.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/08/03/e...itorial02.html

And this, printed on the morning of a day where another Hawaii golfer (Parker McLachlin) was leading the same tournament by 6 strokes. (Parker did eventually hang on to win.)

Whether one agrees with SB's editorial position or not, I hope that the SB sees fit to give Parker an editorial salute for what is a bonafide achievement. Winning a professional tournament.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  [...]
                  And this, printed on the morning of a day where another Hawaii golfer (Parker McLachlin) was leading the same tournament by 6 strokes. (Parker did eventually hang on to win.)[...]
                  I'm kinda thinking it's time for Parker to have his own thread on HT!

WAY TO GO, PARKER!
                  (And, congrats to Beth and Chris, too!)

Comment

The difference of who gets the publicity is seeing potential with the possibilty of all time greatness. With Michelle Wie, there's a chance that she could be the greatest or on the Mt. Rushmore in her sport. With Parker McLachlin, he will be steady and good. But, there's that Tiger Woods guy who's the Chosen One.

Comment

According to a report on CBS Sportsline, Michelle Wie is headed to Q-School.

http://www.sportsline.com/golf/story/10967735

How the mighty have fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                        According to a report on CBS Sportsline, Michelle Wie is headed to Q-School.

http://www.sportsline.com/golf/story/10967735
                        Couldn't help but giggle when I read this:

Players who pay a $5,000 Q-school application fee can enter both first-stage qualifiers if they don't advance out of the Palm Springs event.

It was unclear whether Wie, believed to be the highest-paid athlete in women's sports, paid the extra $1,000 that would allow her to take two cracks at the first stage if she fails to advance in California next week. Otherwise, the entry fee is $4,000.

Dude, I don't think Michelle and her folks will miss any meals if she ends up paying a few extra thou because she flunks the first qualifying stage. $5,000. $8,000. It's all pocket change when you've got the kind of endorsement deals Wiesy has.

Comment

Is Q-school like detention class? Will there be a Princess, the Jock, the Rebel, the Nerd, and the Introvert in this Breakfast Club?

Comment

Is second place good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Is second place good enough?
                              Works for me. Darned good showing, although against a somewhat weakened field.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Considering the struggles Wiesy has gone through the last two years, a second place showing to open the '09 tour is a very good sign. But of course for many people, nothing short of a tournament victory will silence their criticism.

Thing is, the SBS Open was held at Turtle Bay. So Michelle had the advantage of playing on her "home court," so to speak. The question now is whether she will be able to keep up this kind of performance when she leaves the islands and plays on less familiar courses.

Comment

Working...
                                X