The Andy Bumatai Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Andy Bumatai Show

I think personally, it's kind of a cop out to blame the budget. The camera work on Survivorman isn't exactly Disney but that's a gripping show.
    I'd like to see Andy walk on the beach barefoot with Mufi and ask him what's really going on.
    If it's raining, pack the crew in the minivan and film it inside that at the Kam Shopping Center. It can look crude and cheap but still be world class.
    If the source is awesome, the rest can be so-so. If you were in front of Jimi Hendrix with a $49 tape deck you could make a best selling cd from that. If the source is over the top, it's hard to screw it up that bad.
    That's why I'd love to see Andy if front of Diamond Head walking in the sand talking. Even if the lighting was terrible with wind noise I think I'd like it because the source was so good.

I just don't see how, even with a Diamond Head scene in the background it could compete. The postcard would be better but I would think soon boring.
    Why disregard what other producers around the world pay millions to get?
    Don't think of the "flaws" like rain as flaws, accept and incorporate them.
    With a tiny crew I wouldn't think that it would be a big deal.
    What is the crew on Survivorman or Cash Cab?

I hope this isn't taken as a negative rant.
    Here's what it is: I can't tell you how much I respect Andy and his crew.
    Man, this guy has some serious ambition! Times are... er... tough, and he's still going for it, trying to make things better when there's a zillion talkers.
    I want to see him "huge", and truthtfully, I could see it happening.
    In a way, he is "Hawaiian Survivorman". There's a song there...
    So I take an interest that's all.

Comment

I'd not heard of either Survivorman or Cash Cab before. A quick Google shows they're Discovery Channel shows and, in the case of Survivorman, the Science Channel, too.

What that tells me is both shows have adequate budgets and Andy probably wouldn't mind having either one! Trust me, budget is incredibly important. Equipment isn't free. Labor isn't free. Locations aren't free. Supplies aren't free. And then there's the all important craft service table!

Survivorman, who is left alone and shoots his own footage, is backed up by a production staff. That staff may not be within shouting distance but even if they're half way around the world they're doing all the leg work dealing with the logistics of pre-production, actual production and post-production. That frees up the host to, well, host and shoot. Andy's show is a completely different concept and, therefore, the requirements are completely different.

I've watched the credits for Andy's show. While he's not a one man band, his name does appear a lot...meaning he's actively involved in all aspects of the show. That could be out of necessity for the time being.

In addition, to shoot exteriors in Hawaii requires permits...sometimes multiple permits. For the most part, that's not expensive nor a big obstacle. But locations must be anticipated in time to apply for and receive the permits. Someone on the crew must do that and it appears Andy's crew is already spread pretty thin. A commercial enterprise cannot just show up on a beach or a park or a street or a look-out or a harbor or a tourist attraction, for that matter, without advance preparations.

Just to clarify something...I didn't mean 'postcard' literally. What I meant to imply was a video of a "picture postcard" day...meaning a gorgeous day in paradise that would be worthy of a postcard distributed by the HVCB! IOW, maybe a 30 min., static camera, wide angle, scenic video that shows natural movement of clouds and ocean, be it Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head or any other scenic location. I have no idea whether something like that is a budget buster or not!

I understand and appreciate what you're saying, Golfsnorkel, but it truly isn't as simple as Andy, Ace and a guest running down to the beach and shooting a show.

A side note...I'll never forget, decades ago when I was working in L.A., showing up to work on the set of a :30 national commercial. The ad agency account exec. was new to the industry and, for whatever reason, decided I was a safe person to sit next to! It became obvious it was his first day on any set when he turned to me right before lunch and said, "I thought it took 30 seconds to shoot a 30 second commercial."! He was serious! Just goes to show ya that nothing in the film/video business is as it appears!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        he turned to me right before lunch and said, "I thought it took 30 seconds to shoot a 30 second commercial."! He was serious! Just goes to show ya that nothing in the film/video business is as it appears!!!
        Yep! Been there, too! three of us spent several hours rotoscoping and creating graphics for less than 15 seconds of material for an AIG ad.

There was a team of people who did a lot of work before it got to us. And more people after that. The scrolling credits would probably be longer than the ad itself. :-)

Comment

"Isn't there just a button you can press to make it look good?"

I'm an out of the box type person. For me there's lots of places, unseen beaches in Punaluu and great backyards that I wouldn't have the obstacles people in the industry might have in using. I've heard that it takes a certain amount of ignorance and blind optimism to succeed; that no successful person would get there if they knew the obstacles they now know. I've spent days on Baywatch, Industrial Light & Magic sets, and Magnum but admit I'm a video idiot. The only video thing I ever produced what was (probably Hawaii's first) MTV type video in the 80's and it was aired a few times. big whoop. Video IS NOT my field, and understand completely how most in the field will view my posts. But sometimes a person outside the field can see it clearer than someone in it, I'm not saying I can in this instance, just putting my thoughts about the production out there.
          I sure want to say that I do admire Andy and his crew.

Comment

I hear ya, Golfsnorkel! I've worked on very few video shoots, too. What so many people outside the industry don't understand is, like medicine, there are specialties. There's film, video and their sub-specialties of tv (both station and episodic), commercials and movies. For those productions that are signatory to unions, especially talent unions, there are different contracts for each sub-specialty. It gets crazy trying to keep it all straight.

As you know film and video shoots even have separate terminology. Film people go on location. Video folks go on remote! With film, I've logged seconds and minutes. Video...time code! That said, I'm only comfortable in film while specializing in commercials.

All beaches in Hawaii require location permits. Depending on the beach, more than one permit might be needed. It's counter-productive not to get one. Private backyards are a different story. They just need permission from the owner. If it's a larger production, such as a commercial, then permits might be required for blocking space to park production vehicles on the street.

You have some great out-of-the-box ideas and I enjoy reading them. Still, even out-of-the-box ideas must comply with state, c&c and even some federal laws...depending on which entity has control over the property. Naturally, not all productions comply but I have personally witnessed productions shut down. Ouch...that costs buckaroonies!

Comment

So...am I the only one who saw PZ on Andy's show Friday night? I've watched his various appearances on various shows over the years and honestly, PZ, you've gotten so comfortable on camera. Way to go!

Comment

Hey All,

Good points and counter-points.

So here is the deal.

Budget is Paramount. We need to stretch this as far as possible. We don't have a limitless checkbook. Plain and simple. If anyone here can dig up $$ and hand it out to us without making the crew jump through hoops...you'll be KING of the day. Please let me have your phone number.

Prospective sponsors are reluctant to part with their money. Sadly, and with most businesses recently...one of the first expenses to cut is advertising.

Secondly, topic/theme is THE star...and we're keeping it simple. Great ideas on backgrounds whether static or moving videos...but for now, the static nitescape has to do. It'll grow on you.

@Golfsnorkel...I'm working on getting Mufi on Tuesday...sorry he can't walk the beach If he can't make it, I'm going to hound someone from the NFL (who has arrived this past weekend).

@Tutusue...thanks for being our cheerleader. Please let me know when you plan on coming and I'll have that toothpaste ready.

@Composite2992, email me at irwin - AT - isle-cc.com and I'll reply with my contact information. Please keep and get a hold of me when you want to stop by. It may be hard to talk to Paul/Dan/Jeff while the show is taping as they are in "lock down" (small room closet)...but I can give you the nickel tour.

One of the things I like about the show is that I focus on the discussion and be engaged in the content. So far, so good, no flakes as guests. It's my job to see that we get good people that can deliver info...doing my best to avoid this...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

If you can get over the technical quirks, you'll enjoy the show.

What I could use some help in is suggestions for topics and/or guests. I have over 60 more topics on deck and will put them on my schedule in the next day or so. I'll share them with you folks once approved by Andy.

Thanks for all your folks input.

ER
                http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

So...am I the only one who saw PZ on Andy's show Friday night? I've watched his various appearances on various shows over the years and honestly, PZ, you've gotten so comfortable on camera. Way to go!
                  In case you missed PZ...Relive the night here;
                  http://www.theandybumataishow.com/

"WATCH IT AGAIN ON YOU TUBE"

ER
                  http://www.superman808.com. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaulted_Ruler View Post
                    OK, so I finally sat down and watched it. My critique:

- The intro seems slow, lacking in life. His he reading a teleprompter?
                    - Camera switching starts out very slow. Almost a sentence behind the flow. (It does much better later.)
                    - The first break comes at a awkward time. Just starting into the conversation.
                    - What is this "The ABS was proudly sponsored .... (IP TV)". This showed up in Part 2. Makes it sound like the show is over/history.

- The set/panel format is a problem. The group shot is too big so you're stuck with a series of one-shots. Now I realize why The Tonight Show is set up the way it is. The guest being interviewed is always close to Jay. If another guest jumps in the camera can widen up to catch it, but it's easy to keep the conversation to just the two people talking.

I can live with the static background, but you need a different seating arrangement to give the camera some better options.

Comment

@GeckoGeek,

I've shot close to a thousand behind the scenes photos, available in the beginning of this thread. Take a look and you can see placement of all equipment and space to work with.

I'll look into "was" and "is".

As for everything else...it's a work in progress.

ER

Comment

I had DVR'd that episode and finally had time to watch it yesterday. I agree with Tutu that Ryan looks very comfortable on camera, and was easily the best spoken of the three guests.
                        On the other hand, the video and audio were both exceptionally horrible and incredibly distracting.
                        I understand the budget problems, ER, and I'm no techie, but I'd much rather see the show give up on the green screen and any other tech trickery and just go with a simple background. As for the audio, if the background noise can't be eliminated, I'd just find another location. Surely someone has space you could use in exchange for some free ads.
                        It's been a month with the new show, and I'm afraid I have to say that the technical aspects are the worst I've ever seen. It's just too distracting and too painful to watch, so I'm sorry to say that I won't be watching the show unless there's a guest I'm dying to see.
                        Sorry.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

@Likanui,

So...who are you dying to see?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            [...] but you need a different seating arrangement to give the camera some better options.
                            The current set-up shows too many profiles, esp. in the tight 3 shot. However, the new format is a round table discussion, along the lines of Meet the Press. Come to think of it, I wonder if a round table might work better. When MTP has 3 guests, I wonder if each guest is assigned a camera. One thing's for sure...MTP doesn't have the budgetary limitations that ABS has!

I hope Andy's given enough time to work out the growing pains.

Comment

@Likanui,

Actually, the budget is no problem. As long as we stick to it.

What would be useful is if anyone has an "in" to a ca$h deep prospective sponsor. That would certainly be helpful...because that is the source of which we can do more things. We're looking, but there comes a time when it's counter productive when most of the business doors can't even be open due to prospects with little or no money in their budget, to run the business or offer advertising.

"IN" = you know by name the person to speak with, phone number, is a sure thing. Sponsors get ad placement in the show. We have no full time sales person on staff, and fit sales calls between the multitude of other tasks that go on throughout the day.

Everyone here has GREAT ideas and opinions...but to truly put them into play or even consider...gotta have the bucks. Simply not a cop out. I'm not sure how much more clearer I can be, and how better a picture I can paint to drive my point...but that's the fact.

Dilemma? Perhaps...depends on the point of view.

Anyway, my prime focus would be content...cuz that's my job. No one has addressed that here. Any takers?

Thank you,

ER

Comment

I wonder if each guest is assigned a camera.
                                Each guest does have a camera...sometimes 2, depends on the conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X