Big cars in Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big cars in Honolulu

During my student days, I drove a "compact" '61 Ford Falcon, which measured in at nearly 200" (16' 8") in length. Compare that to my current "full-size" ride, a '96 Acura RL which checks in at 196" in length. My '01 Honda Odyssey is 202".

Some time ago, Ala Moana Center planned to increase capacity by re-striping their parking stalls. They were stopped by the C&C on the bais that the stalls would have been below the minimum specs for "legal" parking spaces in terms of width and length.

At Aloha Stadium, many of the "monster" trucks and SUVs are simply too large for the parking stalls. Particulary those with wide, OVER-SIZED TIRES.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      Some time ago, Ala Moana Center planned to increase capacity by re-striping their parking stalls. They were stopped by the C&C on the bais that the stalls would have been below the minimum specs for "legal" parking spaces in terms of width and length.
      I look forward to the day they just convert existing and building new parking garages that are automated and park your car in racks like they do in Japan. Most efficient use of space for vehicular parking possible. No fighting for spots, no issues with door dings, very theft deterrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        You see it once a day? I believe you. Maybe a handful on a busy day?

But even on its busiest days, a hospital ain't like a shopping mall, hotel, beach, or a tourist attraction, which attracts scores of family-filled vans and SUVs.

Should a hospital tow compact cars parked in regular-sized stalls just to satisfy the smattering (if even that) of van/SUV owners bringing a full load of passengers? I suppose that's up to the hospital administration. Doesn't make much sense to me. Doesn't make for great public/community relations, either.
        well, since i am, you know, working, i am outside to observe what cars & people come in to the parking garage maybe an hour a day, total, given the time i take to walk to my office, run on-campus errands (not every day), pick up lunch from the caf (not every day), go to meetings (not every day) and go home. i do see families arriving to visit a loved one or leaving in one vehicle after visiting several times a week, sometimes several times in one day. to me, that's not a situation, in and of itself, best described as being "rare" or "not often."

i'd agree the percentage of vans/suvs full of people versus the total population of all vehicles going to recreational locations is likely to be more when comparing to what ratio of occupants per vehicle goes to hospitals. i didn't have a bone to pick there; maybe you and craig did, but i wasn't referring to that comparative at all.

neither was i promoting the position that hospitals--or any other business owners who provide parking spaces for their customers--should tow smaller cars for being in what craig claims are spaces designated for larger vehicles (an argument that i think is fatuous). seems to me that's craig's white whale to harpoon, and no one has yet raised an arm to join him.

you know, mini of hawaii threw a 50/50/50 celebration earlier this summer (50th anniversary of the mini in the 50th state with 50+ minis). we all met up at kakaako park--where there are absolutely no stalls marked "compact." we took up quite a good portion of the lot while we were there before we started on our rally. we did it again at sandy's and at other stops along the way.

mr. watanabe, take a look at how roomy those parking spaces are for our cute lil cars!!! i'm sorry this doesn't make you smile but likely gives you figurative heartburn.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by cynsaligia; October 18, 2009, 08:59 PM.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

What happened is that the government made laws so the car companies couldn't make so many large cars like in the 70's and before.

So the car companies a) made more and more trucks and convinced people to drive them and b) made a whole new category vehicle, the SUV, to get around the car requirements.

So today there are actually more big vehicles than ever before, they just aren't called cars.

Comment

Sounds like you're had more than your fair share of frustration driving around in your large vehicle and not finding a parking stall big enough for it. Feel free to vent.
            Not anymore, I simply park in the compact stalls.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
              i'd agree the percentage of vans/suvs full of people versus the total population of all vehicles going to recreational locations is likely to be more when comparing to what ratio of occupants per vehicle goes to hospitals. i didn't have a bone to pick there; maybe you and craig did, but i wasn't referring to that comparative at all.
              Fair enough observations you make. Although to reiterate, the discussion wasn't so much about the exact number of fully loaded vans/SUVs visiting the hospital as much as it was, whether hospitals should cater to the drivers of those large vehicles by prohibiting compacts from using regular sized stalls. I stand by my initial stance that the percentage of such visitors are insufficient to justify such a policy.

mr. watanabe, take a look at how roomy those parking spaces are for our cute lil cars!!! i'm sorry this doesn't make you smile but likely gives you figurative heartburn.
              Take a pic of your minis parked in the HUGE tour bus stalls at the Pali Lookout, and you're liable to give Craig a full-blown heart attack.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I was always under the impression that stalls marked “Compact” was informational only. I don’t believe there is a law that says if you park a compact car in a regular stall, you are doing so illegally and subject to being towed away. Remember, regular stalls were intended for all cars. It was only recently that smaller stalls marked “Compact” began to pop up (as well as regular stalls being shrunk without any labels).

Case in point, as far as I can tell, Ala Moana Shopping Center is all regular parking stalls (except for handicapped stalls, which is there by law). But I’m not 100% sure, because there have been new parking structures erected at the Sears end and the Nordstrom end, and there are areas where I’ve never gone. If I’m going to park my car, I will park where I usually park (in a regular parking stall). I am not going to drive around the entire Ala Moana Parking lot to see if there is a compact stall somewhere. If there is a “Compact” stall somewhere, would that mean that I am parked illegally?

By the way, I own an ’85 Honda Prelude, which I believe would be classified as compact, but it is much wider and longer than most compacts. For that matter, what is a compact? There are some cars that are in the middle. Is a Corvette a compact?

Even if you have a large SUV and you park in a “Compact” stall, I don’t think it can be towed away. I don’t think there’s a law regarding that. I believe it’s just informational.

Comment

Take a pic of your minis parked in the HUGE tour bus stalls at the Pali Lookout, and you're liable to give Craig a full-blown heart attack.
                  Wait until she has multiple kids. I gave up my 1988 Scirocco and my wife gave up her GTI when the three kids in the back were shoulder to shoulder. Cyn you won't give me a heart attack. I'll leave HT before that happens.

Comment

I stand by my initial stance that the percentage of such visitors are insufficient to justify such a policy.
                    it's unlikely any business owner would implement something like that.

oh, i vex him--and you--enough as it is.

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                    I was always under the impression that stalls marked “Compact” was informational only. I don’t believe there is a law that says if you park a compact car in a regular stall, you are doing so illegally and subject to being towed away. Remember, regular stalls were intended for all cars. It was only recently that smaller stalls marked “Compact” began to pop up (as well as regular stalls being shrunk without any labels).

Even if you have a large SUV and you park in a “Compact” stall, I don’t think it can be towed away. I don’t think there’s a law regarding that. I believe it’s just informational.
                    exactly. there is no such law. funny how a republican wants more regulation--to the point of controlling where we all park, eh?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Wait until she has multiple kids.
                    you'll have to wait forever for that.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Cyn you won't give me a heart attack. I'll leave HT before that happens.
                    the day you leave HT because of me is a day i'd be wracked with guilt.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

it's unlikely any business owner would implement something like that.

oh, i vex him--and you--enough as it is.

exactly. there is no such law. funny how a republican wants more regulation--to the point of controlling where we all park, eh?

you'll have to wait forever for that.

the day you leave HT because of me is a day i'd be wracked with guilt.

Awe Cyn thanks for your sentiments...even though you aren't a republican As for kids though, all six of my children weren't planned and despite using the rhythm method and condoms, my wife still managed to get pregnant, again and again, etc...

Once you hit three kids, minivans are a necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        You're right. I don't think anyone will get tagged (much less towed) for parking a full size vehicle in a compact stall. As long you park within the lines and you don't take up another stall. Of course, the folks at zapatag.com might still get irritated at you.

I personally have no problem with any SUV parking in a compact stall, as long as the same person doesn't childishly whine and complain that another driver with another full size vehicle does the exact same thing and park next to you..... and make entering your door a contortion act. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I got a kid hauler so there's dents and scratches on the sides already and don't have too much problems with people dinging my van. However if that vehicle is still there when I return, OOPS! I'm sorry my hand slipped off the door handle as I was opening it. Sorry for the damage to your vehicle, I guess we're even now.

Comment

I remember when they made Windward Mall the parking stalls for Liberty House were way larger than for the others, Sears and J.C. Penny.

I figured it was because Liberty House was going after all the folks that drove Caddy's and Lincoln Town Cars.

Better clientele.

Comment

Originally posted by Golfsnorkel View Post
                              I remember when they made Windward Mall the parking stalls for Liberty House were way larger than for the others, Sears and J.C. Penny.

I figured it was because Liberty House was going after all the folks that drove Caddy's and Lincoln Town Cars.

Better clientele.
                              That's right, if you got a 3-series BMW you simply don't rate. But a 5-series on up tells the world you did better.

Comment

There's a 1960-something Lincoln that parks in my building's garage. It's the size of an aircraft carrier and it looks like more than one plane has taken off and landed! When perfectly centered in a parking stall all wheels are on the stall lines and the trunk sticks part way out into the driving lane. There are precious few stalls where this tank can park!

Comment

Working...
                                X