KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Interesting discussion here folks, but I gotta say I really like the term Hawaii new snow!!!

Comment

I just watched the 9 pm news with Stephanie Lum and it was terrible. There were really no news stories, just her going to Vegas and walking around a bit. When she was in Vegas you could see wires and mics... it was really, really amateurish.

There was really very, very little news, just fluff.

No way do I buy it that there weren't numerous stories to report around Oahu.

It was a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Sad, indeed. When I decided to move to Hawaii from SoCal, I was told by a mainland friend to check in with Phil Arnone at KGMB. That was the first stop I made on that scouting trip. 1978. The most incredible history left a few months ago. Anita.
        Phil Arnone was a huge part of the history of KGMB (Checkers & Pogo, Hawaiian Moving Company, etc.), I was honored to work for him when we did the Don Ho special, he is the best at what he does, you won't find a better producer or director than he and a mentor to so many in the business.

As for Anita Brady, she worked nearly 50 years at the station, starting in the early 60's. Some people don't realize how important a role she had, without her nothing gets accomplished because she was the person who handled everything at the front desk, letting guests in, answering phone calls, package deliveries, etc. having done that work before I know how hard it is and how important it is because you are sort of the air traffic controller and everything literally comes and goes thru you. It's very stressful, but she always did everything with class and I already miss talking with her, such a nice, sweet person she is.

Aj

Comment

when I was a senior at Kalani HS back in 1978, I joined Junior Achievement and our sponsor was KGMB-TV along with Phil Arnone and our company was called Island Productions. KGMB donated 2-hours of prime time after the 6pm news for us to sell and market that classic surf flick, Endless Summer. We formed our company, went out and solicited advertising packages to companies such as Bank of Hawaii, Long's Drugs and others. We made our own TV spots (it took me 32 takes before I got it right) and even had the chance at running the board to air the show.

From that experience I got hooked in broadcasting and eventually formed three companies devoted to radio broadcasting of sporting events locally.

I owe KGMB and Phill Arnone a lot for starting my career in this love-hate field.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by ongre View Post
            Interesting discussion here folks, but I gotta say I really like the term Hawaii new snow!!!
            Ha ha ha! In the interest of adding to useless funny stuff, might I share what I've coined the merged operation? "17". As in, 8 + 9.

To the other comments... ooh... want to say something... sitting on fingers...
            Halekulani.com
            Waikikiparc.com
            SmallTalk.HonAdvBlogs.com

Comment

This A.M., KGMV 9-1 on Maui is airing programming from KFVE, so no one using OTA can view the Florida/Georgia game, nor will they be able to view the Dolphins/Jets game tomorrow if it stays like this.
              DirecTV and DISH both have CBS programming on KGMB 9.

If anyone here has some insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

Mahalo,

--Michael
              [Edit]
              My apologies...I went back and read the previous posts from mel, etc. and I'll be sending a donation to Media Council Hawaii.
              Last edited by tvhawaii; October 31, 2009, 01:14 PM. Reason: Duhh

Comment

Originally posted by tvhawaii View Post
                This A.M., KGMV 9-1 on Maui is airing programming from KFVE, so no one using OTA can view the Florida/Georgia game, nor will they be able to view the Dolphins/Jets game tomorrow if it stays like this.
                DirecTV and DISH both have CBS programming on KGMB 9.

If anyone here has some insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

Mahalo,

--Michael
                [Edit]
                My apologies...I went back and read the previous posts from mel, etc. and I'll be sending a donation to Media Council Hawaii.

Look at the bright side....You'll be able to see the Nevada / Hawaii replay tonight at 9:30

Comment

Originally posted by hebeasor View Post
                  Look at the bright side....You'll be able to see the Nevada / Hawaii replay tonight at 9:30
                  Naaa...no need. I just watched the news on KHON after the Series.<g>

Comment

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE &quot;shared services agreement&quot;

The KGMB anchor desk needs more seats or expand its length because there's not enough anchors sitting there.
                    They should be more like the NFL pregame shows where they bust laugh like Sammy Maudlin at everything another analyst says.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      This is just bad. simply bad
                      I agree, and I'm telling these guys:

The 5 commissioners, the chief of the Media
                      bureau and the chief of the Video services division, addresses below:

Julius Genachowski <Julius.genachowski@fcc.gov>,
                      Meredith Baker <Meredith.baker@fcc.gov>,
                      Michael Copps <Michael.Copps@fcc.gov>,
                      Mignon Clyburn <Mignon.clyburn@fcc.gov>,
                      Robert McDowell <robert.mcdowell@fcc.gov>,
                      William Lake <William.lake@fcc.gov>
                      Barbara Kreisman <barbara.kreisman@fcc.gov>,

Comment

Originally posted by hebeasor View Post
                        Oh, effin' joy.

Seriously, as much as I like my wrestling entertainment fix, there's no need to swap channels between a major long-running network affiliate (i.e., CBS) with a weak reality-edited network with absolutely no future (i.e., MyNTV).

Now I cannot watch CBS programmings in Kaunakakai OTA because the Maui transmitter for then-KFVE is effin' weak.

Bravo, Raycom, Blangiardi and Fink.
                        Last edited by Random; November 1, 2009, 09:45 PM.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

One of the good things about Hawaii...Is not-so wonderful anymore to watch because you can't find it...KGMB
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Here on the Big Island in Honokaa, my uncle reports that NONE of OTA channels work. Haven't tried it myself because the TV dedicated to that at my parents' place is now hooked up to cable, because the main TV died a few months ago. So now I have an antenna, unopened converter box and nothing to plug them into.

Oh well, at least with cable my Mom can continue to watch "The Young and the Restless."

I however think it stinks that Raycom Media pulled this huge channel switch. The real prize in this whole Shared Services Agreement was getting all of the CBS content under Raycon's fledgling NBC roof. And the KGMB owners/viewers OTA stuck with My Network TV crap and a 2 - 6 UH football team that you can't watch most games even on the same day delay. 2nd class TV really.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Oh, effin' joy.

Now I cannot watch CBS programmings in Kaunakakai OTA because the Maui transmitter for then-KFVE is effin' weak.
                              This 'Agreement' is coming under a lot of fire and the best thing to do right now is to write to the FCC and let them know, short and sweet, -exactly- what has happened to you.

The 5 commissioners, the chief of the Media
                              bureau and the chief of the Video services division, addresses below:

Julius Genachowski <Julius.genachowski@fcc.gov>,
                              Meredith Baker <Meredith.baker@fcc.gov>,
                              Michael Copps <Michael.Copps@fcc.gov>,
                              Mignon Clyburn <Mignon.clyburn@fcc.gov>,
                              Robert McDowell <robert.mcdowell@fcc.gov>,
                              William Lake <William.lake@fcc.gov>
                              Barbara Kreisman <barbara.kreisman@fcc.gov>,

Comment

Call my cynical, but you know we don't live in a Democracy right?

Tell me you guys don't really believe that....that the common folk control this country or this world?

Big business rules and they are the true power.

If they want something to happen, it will happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X