Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 17th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Since we seem to be on a television commercial kick again (favorite local ads, favorite national ads, and least favorite national ads), I thought I'd complete the set with a new thread for local TV ads you don't like. Sure, we tried this before, but I didn't want to set the bar as high as "revolting" and "disgusting," nor as low as the first conversation turned out!

Understanding, of course, that local television productions generally won't have the resources that a Coca Cola or Geico will have, and that our neighbors and friends are doing their best, there will still be a TV ad or two here in Hawaii that just falls short of the mark. Or annoys us entirely. Share them here.

While this is a rerun, I have to start off with a classic of bad local ads with the Oceanic commercial featuring the over-eager cable technician and the disinterested, pouty woman. For all the effort put into the lighting and sets, the ad itself just grates.

The reason it popped back into my head, though, is because there's now a second local TV ad that has almost the exact same character scenario - a bright-eyed and eager guy suggesting exotic destinations (for food, we later learn), bouncing ideas off his apparently bored and indifferent partner. It took me a few seconds to realize it just wasn't another version of the Oceanic ad.

I'm sure there are others that follow the same basic concept. I know it's hard to get creative, and stereotypes are the easiest way to set up a "story" in 30 seconds, but... is having anyone bored for most of an ad a good idea? It's almost as a bad as an ad that mentions a competing product or business more than its supposed subject.
Old September 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

Default Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

I hate, hate, hate, most all the oceanic time warner ads but today's pisser is that one where they have that dude saying i wanted to watch blahblah but my wive wanted to watch chickfliks. so, we watched chickfliks.
(how MANY did he sit thru? whudda pussywhipped wimp...)
they employ that headache inducing old gimmick of a wavering waterhose camera technique so this jokers out of frame half the time.
annoying.
this reminds me of the dis and dat commercial. this local dude who looks like he spent too much time thinkin' and a wishin' he wuz hangin in da hood south central L.A.; dressed all in black with a black leather jacket.

aaaah c'MON, man.
affectation city.

he goes on and on actually saying "blah,blah, blahblahblah...blahblah..."
sheesh! he does NOT want us to watch.

oh, yea.
and of course that "mytv izzzh schmooozzz."
as if they pulled some kid off da sidewalk in front of central intermediate and said:
"hey punk; what's this week's phat saying in yer school? and wooja say it to the camera here, a thing which you have no experience in front of and in a manner which you will quite assuredly display extreme discomfort and awkwardness? yea thanx, kid. only time and patience for one take. Here's yer three bucks. Now beat it..."

Last edited by kimo55; September 17th, 2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Exclamation Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Just FYI... we had this discussion on "bad ads" last year. I am just providing this link to the old thread for your reference and convenience:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=543

Oops... I should have known pz referenced this link previously. Oh well here it is again.
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Thanks, Mel. To get things flowing again, let's recap. Note, of course, that some ads that were cited as bad were also considered good by others, or at least effective. But in previous rounds...

Oceanic clearly leads the pack with several ads cited for awfulness. The Technician on a Date, the Chick Flick Guy, their DVR ads (some local, some not), The McGruff Truck (a.k.a. Who Needs 911 When You've Got a Cable Guy?), and with several nominations, OKC Kids Club and MyTV promos.

Banks are common citations, though they're also one of the heavier television advertisers. Bank of Hawaii's "That's My Bank" (Daryl and Brian), Territorial Savings butterfly chases and the like (Pursue Happiness), and Central Pacific Bank (Alex the Dog).

On the PSA front, we have Former Idols (Jordan and Jasmine - has Camille done any?), and Smoking vs. Kids. Wrapping up with local businesses, mentioned were Lava Line (Augie T. & Lanai), Tonya from Sleepland, Lee Financial Services, TheBus, TheCab, Jiffy Lube and Cooking with Cutty (OC16).

Whew.

But, different strokes for different folks. I don't think Frank DeLima's TheCab ads are that funny, but hell, I'd never ever memorized a phone number for a cab service until those came out. Ads with jingles aren't all great, but a part of me kind of likes the fact that jingles in general are being written and used -- how very quaint of us! And some folks clearly grok Augie T's style, even though I don't.
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Ali`i

TheBus had a TV ad? That's interesting, did notice in the past that TheBus served as a back drop for a couple of commericals, like Hawaiian Waters and some union spot.
Old September 18th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
I don't think Frank DeLima's TheCab ads are that funny, but hell, I'd never ever memorized a phone number for a cab service until those came out.
That's the truth. "Tutu" will never quite be the same again.
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Since we seem to be on a television commercial kick again (favorite local ads, favorite national ads, and least favorite national ads), I thought I'd complete the set with a new thread for local TV ads you don't like. Sure, we tried this before, but I didn't want to set the bar as high as "revolting" and "disgusting," nor as low as the first conversation turned out!
[...]
Hmmm...this is one thread I'll stay out of! Chalk it up to fear of biting the hand that feeds me!!! I'll sure read it with interest, tho'!
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue
Hmmm...this is one thread I'll stay out of! Chalk it up to fear of biting the hand that feeds me!!! I'll sure read it with interest, tho'!
He he. I'm with ya' on that one.

Based on past trends with this board, this thread will likely outgun the "FAVORITE local ads" thread.

pzarquon is right, the "Most revolting, Disgusting" thread I started a while back was quite an extreme way to start a thread. Boy, did that one grow into a beast!

That title came to mind primarily because of the topic of Quiznos "Singing Rats" commercial. It "revolted and disgusted" the public so much that Quiznos corporation's national gross sales were cut almost in half!

There couldn't be an ad campaign more fitting to dislike than one that actually HURTS a business' bottom line.
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Ali`i

Continuation of the Quiznos TV ad and other national ad campaigns can be found here: Least Favorite National TV Ads and here: National TV Ads You Like (just like pzarqoun originally posted)

Mahalo Mel for straightening up da' house! Sorry for the drift.
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai
[...] That title came to mind primarily because of the topic of Quiznos "Singing Rats" commercial. It "revolted and disgusted" the public so much that Quiznos corporation's national gross sales were cut almost in half!

There couldn't be an ad campaign more fitting to dislike than one that actually HURTS a business' bottom line.
I wasn't a fan of the Spongemonkey spots. I can say that 'cuz it was a national spot with no Hawaii ties! Don't think I woulda wanted to be in the ad agency/creative director's shoes when the hammer fell. Ouch! It probably fell on the entire agency. Dunno...never googled it!
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Ali`i

Back to lowbrow commercials:

Westpac International: The one where the girl is rubbing her preggers belly and the guys are wrapping all their stuff for the big move? That's bad enough but it's by the same JINGLE MASTERS group here in Hawaii that sounds the same for just about every cheaply produced local TV commercial. Granted, they can make up a jingle about everything, but they all sound THE SAME!!!

Another commercial I can't take is the Redondo's crunchy sausage one where everyone is biting and chewing on this hunka meat and smiling! I don't wanna watch people bite into sausages! I dont' want to hear that sausages are crunchy!

There used to be a commercial for some kinda 808 Hi-Tech store that sold phone covers and crap: All the girls had giant boobs and were in bikinis. They all looked like hung out with boys with Japanese-made hotrods who still lived with mom and dad.

Finally any chiropractic, hearing aid or dental commercial. Same JINGLE MASTERS, same tune, just different words: We can brighten your smile/We can tweak your hearing/We can jump your bones!
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal
Another commercial I can't take is the Redondo's crunchy sausage one where everyone is biting and chewing on this hunka meat and smiling! I don't wanna watch people bite into sausages! I dont' want to hear that sausages are crunchy!
Oh! I *hate* that ad! If your sausage is crunchy, it has WAY too much gristle in it or something else, I don't want to know what. Yecccch!
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal
There used to be a commercial for some kinda 808 Hi-Tech store that sold phone covers and crap: All the girls had giant boobs and were in bikinis. They all looked like hung out with boys with Japanese-made hotrods who still lived with mom and dad.
I think I remember that one... different strokes for different folks, I guess. I liked it.

Girls with giant boobs in bikinis? WINNAHS... and I'm not a ricer, nor do I live at home with my parents.

That ad was targeted at the business' core group of customers, and I think it was successful in getting their attention.

Can't say I actually went there to buy a faceplate or anything... hell, just like you, I don't remember the name of the store either!

Old September 20th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palolo Joe
Girls with giant boobs in bikinis? WINNAHS... and I'm not a ricer, nor do I live at home with my parents.
Yeah, but they weren't hanging out with you, were they?

<better duck and run again!>
Old September 20th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Banned

Guess that's why I liked watching the commercial... and going to those car shows at the Blaisdell for the "contests" they have...
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM

A friend of mine once told me that sausage products are "compressed waste", consisting of those ground-up mixed meats and by-products that would never be sold as a standalone food in and of themselves.

That said everytime I hear the name "Redondos", I can't forget the slogan "Redondos sausage turns me on."

Last edited by mel; September 20th, 2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Kanaka

A poorly shot/written spot is the product of a $500-$2500 budget and over worked production employees/interns.

On OC16 it's about 70% "talking heads" and lets not forget most of the "actors" are friends of or employees of the client.

I too am disgusted with some of the local spots, but I'll be danmed if don't remember their name just as quick as a brand name despite the production/copy writting.

It's not the quality anymore, it's about in your face.
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Kanaka

A poorly shot/written spot is the product of a $500-$2500 budget and over worked production employees/interns.

On OC16 it's about 70% "talking heads" and lets not forget most of the "actors" are friends of or employees of the client.

I too am disgusted with some of the local spots, but I'll be danmed if don't remember their name just as quick as a brand name despite the production/copy writting. Wheather it's helping the product, there's no way to know.

It's not the quality anymore, it's about in your face.
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Ali`i

The ad that I hate is the Haoli Termite "hula" ad. It offends the beauty of hula and I'm surprised Hawaiians don't react to this spoofing of thier culture.

Last edited by alohabear; September 20th, 2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Kanaka

Check out "local" ads in comparable markets on the Mainland and you'll see we don't do too badly.
OTOH...
In a former life in the ad business I worked on TV ads here that resound with glory even today. Tire Warehouse, why pay more! Magoo's Pizza, where delivery boys are struck senseless by cleavage! Al Phillips the Cleaner, with Aku in the shadows, giving you the creeps! Ted Sax's Pupu PUPS! (Uuuurrrp!) Long's Drugs, hurling Emma Veary into a special hell reserved for desperate fading stars!
The ad agency I was at had a 50 percent staff turnover every month. Wonder why.
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaknHaole
Check out "local" ads in comparable markets on the Mainland and you'll see we don't do too badly.
Very TRUE! Each local cable division has production for M&P's just like OC.

I will say one thing about Hawaii local production......too many singing spots! It sounds like the same mainland company has a lock on the gig. They have sounded the same for the last 10 years.
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Ali`i

The Ad that irritates me...is that "woman" who changes characters for various foods products when somebody calls to ask her/him to cook because unexpected guests are coming. Change of clothing, voice still the same? Nothing funny or unusual...just DUMB!

They should have seen me in TIMES today! I had everybody rolling with the 18 eggs special! Sold some too. They thought I was doing a commercial! LOL

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:31 AM
Kanaka

A few years ago Channel 2 did a house ad touting their news personalities. Showing them typing, looking at monitors, talking, driving, that sort of thing. But the music used was Hans Zimmer's impossibly heroic theme from "Backdraft." One long glorious universe-saving crescendo! Mother Teresa didn't deserve such grand music! Jesus Christ himself on the cross would have said, dudes, that's over the top. It always made me laugh.
Old September 21st, 2005, 02:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaknHaole
OTOH...
In a former life in the ad business I worked on TV ads here that resound with glory even today. Tire Warehouse, why pay more! Magoo's Pizza, where delivery boys are struck senseless by cleavage! Al Phillips the Cleaner, with Aku in the shadows, giving you the creeps! Ted Sax's Pupu PUPS! (Uuuurrrp!) Long's Drugs, hurling Emma Veary into a special hell reserved for desperate fading stars!
The ad agency I was at had a 50 percent staff turnover every month. Wonder why.
You're right...by comparison to other local markets we hold up pretty well. And, like other local markets there's a wide disparity in advertising and production budgets. The difference between, say, an OC16 and an Ala Moana Center production budget is huge and it shows in the concept and quality. So many of the smaller advertisers don't have a large enough budget to hire an ad agency so all of their creative work is done 'in house' with the spot being produced by one of the local tv stations which tends to package production and air time costs. Sometimes the stations even throw in the creative. Ad agencies and production companies add huge bucks to advertising costs. The smaller advertisers are doing the best they can with what they've got.

Long's? Ted Sax? Me too!!!
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:26 AM
Banned

ho man I just saw the hauoli termite tv spot.
that is like a mainland cheap thoughtless commercial. Like a very bad hawaiian theme party in california fulla insulting callous drunks you really feel like leaving quickly.
So disrespectful. this is very much an insult.
I am amazed they did this.